Main Menu

Started by James, 24 March, 2003, 01:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slippery PD

A good prog this.  

Dredd - Well its all getting kinda predictable and the villain did go rather quickly.  But its being going on quite well and teh arts sumptous (sp)

Callaballistics - Great story this and some nice little touches.  I hope that we are getting a longer storyvery soon.  Well done GR.

VC's - well its getting better, but not much.  Give me some characters I can relate too and this will be brillaint.

Telguuth - Well they are small and predictable.  However, they arent that bad.  But we need some threads or links between the stories.

Atavar is coming on nice.  But who says there are no humans left!?!?!?!

yer Slippo

ukdane

Here are the results from the Danish Judges.

Cover: Compared to last weeks, I think it's rather boring. I normally think Cliff's Dredd cover poses are pretty good, but this one does little to entice the casual buyer.

Nerve Centre: Anyone know what's replacing Cab Inc in the next two weeks? I'm thinking that Prog 1335 might be a double episode Dredd (or possibly Atavar) anyone care to confirm?
I agree with Odd- good to have the CJ's man teaser- but I was hoping for MacNeil artwork. ABC Warriors teaser: Why is it that so many of Mill's stories are divided up into parts. Can't he tell the story in one straight run, without it having to be broken down into bitesize (digestible) pieces?

Dredd: Still enjoying this. I'll be buying the Dark Horse version, and the trade collection. I thought Dredd might have kept the badge, and use it in order to save himself. I hope the pheromone doesn't become a pregnancy cure for Dredd and Sanchez. I'd rather see Dredd having it surgically removed.

Advert: At least it's relevant!

Caballistics Inc: Enjoyed. Looking forward to the return. (Did I miss any jokes this week Gordon?) Is it me, or do I remember DXB guessing what was going to happen in this series?

VCs: I had high hopes this week, and truth be told, I enjoyed this weeks tale a lot more than last weeks. UNTIL I got to the last page. Ant's artwork was going great until I saw this page, where I think 2 things let it down. 1) The silhouettes of the ships in the first frame, on a background og CGI, and 2) All the geeks on the mining platform. To me, they both looked like a rush job.

Telguuth: Another multiparter story- yeay! Haward's art on this series has, as I said in last weeks review grown on me more and more. This week I enjoyed it once more. The script has got me intrigued as well. This run of Telguuth is definately an improvement over the last one.

Atavar II: I really am enjoying this story, and even though I have no idea what's going to happen in the third series, I'm already hoping that there will be a collection (of all three in one).

Input: Yeay, it has returned, and those nasty phone thingys have gone. (No indication of any of my letters though :-()
The hints to the Summer offensives contents please me too. Alpha in July (I checked to see if Tharg meant an audio drama, but that's scheduled for May), and Slaine too. I'm a sucker for these titbits.

Overall: Another good (and early) one. This weeks biggest let down for me was the cover. With the Spring Offensive nearly over, Tharg's going to have to come up with some pretty incredible tales to keep the next few seasons offensives as good as this one- and I don't doubt that he will. Could this be one of 2000ad's best years ever?
Cheers

-Daney

James

7:20 am!!!!!!!!!

How come no-one has gasped and commended my(or my postie) FOR CLEARLY BREAKING NEW RECORDS with the earliness of my prog?

I'm beginning to think nobody cares...

...sniff...

P.S. I'm a bit drunkhttp://www.signs2go.biz/images/postman.jpg">

DavidXBrunt

Heh. Yeah, I'd made a guess as to what had happened to Ms. Simmons. But surely there are more twists to come?

As to what's replacing Cab.Inc, I haven't got my copy near by but it says in the Meg. At least one Future Shock though.

Oh, and when Gill returns he will no longer be the Chief Judges Man but *SPOILERS* the Chief Judges Executioner!

paulvonscott

I'm impressed James, I got mine today, and it had been opened!

Cover, nice of course, but imagine an aliens background with the strange bio-metallic stuff in the background (no need for aliens).  Would have been spot on.

Dredd, good fun, as it has been.  Story seems very light for 16 parts.  But I got a thrill from many of the scenes as usual.

Cabalistics was enjoyable.  More zapping of bad guys in last moments.  This means that they wander around, say stuff and then something is introduced to blast the bad guys at the end for a second time.  Magic, rituals, demonic possession should be more than just blasting stuff.  Where's the horror?  The demonic posession of the woman is good though.  Liked the Critchley action figure ;)

VC's was better this week as people said.  I have a problem with strips where I find the lows eclipse the highs, but we'll see.

Telguuth.  Still good, still nice art, nice to see that there is some references being made now in telguuth to previous stuff (though we DO need those Tharg notes for this!) but I honestly think too much involvement could mean we lose out on the story variety.  I think telguuth has really hit it's niche, though I see some people still don't see a place for it, I think it's currently superior to almost any of the filler we've seen in 2000AD for a long time, and that includes past imperfects.  i thought the scene where she complains about it being dull and all the weird stuff going on in the background was great.  More shameless Cthulhu refences!

Atavar.  Dull.  Can't see what people see in it.  Aliens and Omega Man versus Terminator, but not interesting.  Grud, there's still another book to come.

Looking forward to future Alpha, ABC and CG Man, there is some light at the end of the alien infested tunnel.

But in the name of Grud, we want ORLOK!

Tex Hex

Ah hell. Here goes...

Cover: I like Cliff Robinson and I like this, but I agree that with the current dredd story this should have been a bit more relevant.

Dredd: Taking a few leaps and bounds really. I mean the part where someone says that the remenants of the aliens have been taken care of couldve (shouldve) been a whole story in itself! I mean theyre ALIENS! Still good though despite my gripes. Great art as usual.

Caballistics: The highlight for me. I had to back and reread the first story before I started to enjoy this series, and now Im loving it. Great atmospheric art. I did see ODDs point about Miss Simmmons. Will this be some kind of running joke?

What else...

VCs: Definately better this prog. I feel that this series has been lacking some kind of focus, like its been jumping about all over the place with all sorts of ideas but not settling on any of them. Its good to see slightly less CG stuff from Williams as I enjoy his "proper" stuff.

Telguuth: Blah, blah, blah...

Ataver: Well its certainly going somewhere now. Given thats theres only one sodding human let (..?) I would have hoped for a little more characterisation. That said Elsons art is a bit action oriented so it might be for the best. I am still enjoying this in a pulpy sci-fi opera kind of way.

I would like to have seen Kev "Sin City" Walkers take on ABC Warriors. As opposed to Kevin "ABC Warriors" Walker. He has come along way. I suppose Ezquerra will have to do. Sigh...

Oddboy

With regards to Caballistics, Inc. - I kind of think it's a bit of a shame that Miss Simmonds (damn - how do you spell her surname??) has turned into an evil smokin' demon as she was probably my favourite member of the group.  I'm not sure whether the demon has taken over her body completely & that the 'real' Simmonds is dead or MIA, or whether the demon is sharing the body with Simmonds.
Gahh! What's to happen next?

Roll on the new story, I'm loving this series!
Better set your phaser to stun.

Tex Hex

I get the impression that shes all well and fine until the right (wrong) thing comes along and brings the demon out. Kind of like in Gremlins.

Slippery PD

I too am liking the story. But some of the critiscms (sp) that are directed at VCs could as easily be directed to Cal Inc.  

Some of the characters are a little flat, although there are some great touches, like the personality by book reading.  We havent seen much of the interaction between the characters, well we have an evil sod, the brigadier professor type, the demure english woman and the gung ho for hire americans.  But at the moment its being revealed in snippets which is rather good.

Anyway Im not sure we seen much of Simmonds before the possession, so Im not sure of the affect of it on her.

Yes, roll on the next installement please gordon.

Yer Slippo    

The Monarch

this ain't a suck-up mr rennie but your story was the best in the prog for me as for the rest...

dredd vs aliens: good as usual

telguuth: i shouldn't be enjoying this but i am damn it!

vcs: i should be enjoying this but i'm not dammit!

atavar: a load of cack why does everyone like this okay its not b***n crap but its still crap

oh my newsie got it early for some ungodly reason not complaining though!!

Mk13

>Anyone know what's replacing Cab Inc in the next two weeks?

It'll be a Future Shock next week, followed, as you surmise, by a double-length finale for Dredd/Aliens (1335 will also have a double length finale for Atavar).

>I thought Dredd might have kept the badge, and use it in order to save himself.

Well if he's been impregnated, he presumably wouldn't need a pheromone tag, as the Aliens tend to leave those who have been impregnated alone (as in Alien3 and, ISTR, some of the comics). Not that I imagine Dredd knows that at this point - think he just wanted to put Bones out of commission.

Art

Its not just any old Future Shock though is it? If I'm correct it's Mr Gurrs latest creation.

Tu-plang

Yes there's a small preview on his website.

petemaskreplica

"But who says there are no humans left!?!?!?!"

hmmm... that mysterious race of aliens who no-one's seen for aeons...?

McNulty

My views:

Dredd Nice one this week, I was incorrect that Mr Bones would call off the facehuggers with his pheromones, but this way turned out better.

Cabballistics Again, my views on this is clear. A good enough story, but horror just isn't my thing.

VCs Much better. Smith shows his loyalty to his old commander. Looks like a big clean-up operation is in the offing...

Avatar Still enjoying this series.

Link: http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~rjamieson/Cal-Hab/index.html" target="_blank">The A-Z of Cal-Hab