Main Menu

Patrick Stewart back as Picard in new series

Started by Greg M., 05 August, 2018, 11:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 16 March, 2023, 11:08:12 AMI can't believe nobody else here is even talking about how good this season is.

Haven't seen the latest episode yet — it won't turn up on Prime until tomorrow, but, yes, I'm really enjoying it. It's like they suddenly remembered how to Star Trek after a couple of pretty... let's say patchy seasons.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

wedgeski

I've been nervously waiting for it to jump the shark. So far, so good. They should just continue into a next-next-gen era spin-off to twin with Strange New Worlds and be done with it. Given Frakes' excellent performance, I'd be quite happy with him at the conn of a new show.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: wedgeski on 16 March, 2023, 11:55:43 AMGiven Frakes' excellent performance, I'd be quite happy with him at the conn of a new show.

^Most definitely this^

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 March, 2023, 11:36:16 AMIt's like they suddenly remembered how to Star Trek after a couple of pretty... let's say patchy seasons.

^And absolutely this^

Fingers, toes, arms, legs and eyes crossed that they can keep up this (I'm going to say it) Trektacular standard.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tomwe

ITS BLOODY GONE FROM PRIME!
Now saying you need Paramount plus.
I am livid

Tomwe

Ok, have I got this wrong, does it come to Prime *after* Paramount Plus?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tomwe on 16 March, 2023, 09:12:57 PMOk, have I got this wrong, does it come to Prime *after* Paramount Plus?

It should be on Prime tomorrow.

Tomwe

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 March, 2023, 09:18:52 PM
Quote from: Tomwe on 16 March, 2023, 09:12:57 PMOk, have I got this wrong, does it come to Prime *after* Paramount Plus?

Oh jeez, thank you. I've clearly not been watching with any urgency until this week.

Tomwe

Quote from: Tomwe on 16 March, 2023, 10:05:45 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 March, 2023, 09:18:52 PM

Oh jeez, thank you. I've clearly not been watching with any urgency until this week.
Aaand the episode is now there.

Richmond Clements

It's certainly a step up from season 2, but character after character from TNG turning up can be waring. And FFS, turn a light on!

edgeworthy

Has anyone else noticed that the Titan-A's Doctor is being played by veteran Scream Queen Tiffany Shepis?

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 17 March, 2023, 01:44:54 PM...character after character from TNG turning up can be waring.

It's having the opposite effect on me - I'm loving it, like meeting old friends again. I'm actually waiting for Odo to turn up (if he hasn't already, pretending to be someone else...) - I seem to remember Picard making an oblique reference to everyone's favourite shapeshifter in an earlier episode.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 March, 2023, 07:00:00 AMI'm actually waiting for Odo to turn up

That would be weird (and a bit creepy) if they fully CGIed him, which they'd have to, since Rene Auberjonois died in 2019...

The Legendary Shark

I think Odo would be relatively easy to cgi, given that his features were pretty basic to begin with.

(And I had forgotten he was dead :'( )

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Link Prime

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 March, 2023, 07:00:00 AMI'm actually waiting for Odo to turn up (if he hasn't already, pretending to be someone else...) - I seem to remember Picard making an oblique reference to everyone's favourite shapeshifter in an earlier episode.

Worf stated that a man "of great honour" contacted him from the Link, which will probably be the only Odo reference we get (aside from the pic on a data pad).

I'm up as far as episode 5 of season 3 - blown away by the improvement over the first two shite-shows.
It's like going from Battlestar Galactica 1980 to the 2004 series.

Give the fans what they want once in a while and they'll respond positively - who'd have thunk it?
A shame it took them this long to course correct, but kudos to Matalas and the team for what they have achieved here.

First time I've had appointment weekly TV since The Expanse ended.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Link Prime on 21 March, 2023, 01:10:14 PMkudos to Matalas and the team for what they have achieved here.

I hadn't registered that Matalas was show-running the season, but I think it probably explains a lot, since he was responsible for the 12 Monkeys series, which was really pretty good, and often excellent. (Also now playing "spot the 12 Monkeys guest star"...)