Main Menu

Logos Through the Ages

Started by Funt Solo, 10 July, 2019, 03:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I love this thread.

I'd forgotten about the Big Dave newspaper logo - I really liked it,  although I'll grant it was a terrible idea. I remember very nearly giving up on trying to find the prog in my local newsagents that week.

Viz did something very similar with one of their issues, and were as frank as ever about the huge number of unsold copies returned to them that month.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dash Decent

Quote from: Funt Solo on 18 February, 2020, 03:29:11 AM
I just found prog 1965, with its unique take on the logo:

Ha!  'Zero' also because of the playing around with the 000 in the logo.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dash Decent on 22 February, 2020, 09:33:01 AM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 18 February, 2020, 03:29:11 AM
I just found prog 1965, with its unique take on the logo:

Ha!  'Zero' also because of the playing around with the 000 in the logo.

(Slaps forehead)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

But wait - what about the Megazine?

1.01 JD Sandwich1.08 JD Banner [border]2.10 JD Banner [no border]

---------------------------------------

2.28 JD Banner [transparent]2.50 JD Corner Panel3.01 JD Banner & Badge [spike]

3.14 JD Banner & Badge3.39 MEGAZINE & Badge3.64 Old Skool JD

4.01 MEG & 2K Fan [blocky]4.09 JD MEG & 2K Fan [modern]209   JD MEG & 2K Fan [updated]

238   JD [off kilter]266 JD & badge275   JD & badge [modern]

299 *cracked*360 *destroyed*361   Modern

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

I absolutely hated the first logo when the Megazine was launched and still dislike it now.  Seeing them all lined up next to each other I think I can honestly say the most recent is the best.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sheridan on 08 May, 2020, 08:44:18 PM
I absolutely hated the first logo when the Megazine was launched and still dislike it now.  Seeing them all lined up next to each other I think I can honestly say the most recent is the best.

Pretty much this. The Megazine hasn't been blessed with good logos over the years has it. Maybe 'Judge Dredd Megazine' is just too much to get in well (cue examples of great logos with loads of text.).
The new one manages it pretty well however.

broodblik

Quote from: sheridan on 08 May, 2020, 08:44:18 PM

Yip in total agreement here as well.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

The original one sort of worked in its era, but it left very little space for good cover art. The next one was a reasonable compromise, but they then headed towards varying degrees of awful. 2.50's metallic was perhaps the nadir, but there are also weird periods where the brand becomes 'Magazine' (during, ironically, my favourite run — that 4.01 relaunch was fantastic).

From a design standpoint, 4.09's is quite good, despite omitting the Judge Dredd brand. 238 is probably my overall favourite. The new one's a fairly close second.

Richard

The new one is definitely the best!

Funt Solo

Another special to add to the list:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Glitzy glamor from prog 2260:

And some excellent embedding from prog 2292:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Is that the first time we've had a biochip 2000AD logo?  Seems remarkable after over two thousand one hundred progs (since Rogue's first appearance).

nxylas

I don't know if this is true or not (probably not), but all the Megazine logos look to me like they come from standard font packages. Whereas the 2000AD logos mostly look like they were designed by actual designers.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!