Started by NapalmKev, 01 August, 2020, 11:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73north

No prog this week for second time running
Will see if it arrives on Wednesday like last week
Groan 😈

Magnetica

Quote from: Richard on 01 August, 2020, 11:53:23 PM
QuoteStill don't know if he'll see the error of his way and become a part of the team, or if he's about to become the big bad.

Neither, [spoiler]he's dead.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Is he? The last page has him floating off into space, going after the torc, but he is very much alive in the last panel.[/spoiler] Or am I missing something?

JimmyNailz

Quote from: Magnetica on 03 August, 2020, 10:59:03 PM
Quote from: Richard on 01 August, 2020, 11:53:23 PM

[spoiler]Is he? The last page has him floating off into space, going after the torc, but he is very much alive in the last panel.[/spoiler] Or am I missing something?

I don't think he is BUT the last panel could be read that [spoiler]he's floating off to his death into space, doomed to be forever chasing the thing that he thinks will make people love him....or the FTB crew will save him.[/spoiler]

Magnetica

[spoiler]Yes and that's kinda the point - we haven't seen what happens to him next yet 👍[/spoiler]

Richard

We've seen the only people who could save him decide not to bother.

Laser Skeleton

Another excellent prog this week! It's really on a great streak just now.

Best ep of the Dredd story so far I thought, really horrifying! The artwork is just wonderful too, love the elongated figures and swirling winds.

FTB and The Out again my favourites. I think in The Out and Brink Dan Abnett has really raised the bar for character-driven thrills.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Laser Skeleton on 04 August, 2020, 12:53:56 PM

... I think in The Out and Brink Dan Abnett has really raised the bar for character-driven thrills.

When you add The Out to the list of recent Dabnett thrills the vote that crowned him 'Ultimate Not Wagner' seems more on more timely. I can't think of a writer... with the notable exception ... who has produced so much, of such quality, at such a rate as Dabnett. The man is indeed a machine.

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 August, 2020, 01:26:42 PM

... I think in The Out and Brink Dan Abnett has really raised the bar for character-driven thrills.

When you add The Out to the list of recent Dabnett thrills the vote that crowned him 'Ultimate Not Wagner' seems more on more timely. I can't think of a writer... with the notable exception ... who has produced so much, of such quality, at such a rate as Dabnett. The man is indeed a machine.

.... and if you add Lawless to the equation then it just stand-out what a great talent we have in him. Hopefully he can continue for a long-long time delivering quality works.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Laser Skeleton

Quote from: broodblik on 04 August, 2020, 01:34:19 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 August, 2020, 01:26:42 PM

.... and if you add Lawless to the equation then it just stand-out what a great talent we have in him. Hopefully he can continue for a long-long time delivering quality works.

I somehow contrived to forget about Lawless, the strip that single handedly returned my dad to comics aged 73.

73north

My copy finally arrived today ,on Monday - and a very delightful cover

I thought the last instalment of Dredd - End Of Days, Part 10.
I though the sacrifice at the end and the appearance of the baddies from the East was a masterstroke .
Very much enjoying this - and I can't predict what happens next , which is great .

Full Tilt Boogie - just sublime and so well written and drawn

Diaboliks - Profondo Rosso. The sixth and final part of this strip.
I enjoyed this story arc - and I am glad also that it will return in Prog 2197.

The Oder - Land Of The Free, Part 10.
more of the same - the art is good - I just hope that this is the final part of the series -
its not really been a favourite of mine for a while .

The Out.
I also totally agree that the Big War Bear was the real star of this episode
and great that we finally saw a glimpse of the Tankinar . Super ! 10 out of 10
I totally agree tha we are so lucky to have Dan Abnett in the Prog
( I loved Lawless but had to ditch the Megazine subscription last year due to reduced finances )
over all , thank heavens for 2000AD !!
( oh and did I mention , I ordered the Battle 2020 Special ?? )

broodblik

A great prog. I call this a 5-starer.

Dredd – What a grim turnaround of events. The story is now really picking up and I can say that the was my favourite part so far. I just knew at one stage we had to deal with the Soviets.

Full Tilt Boogie – The story continues to deliver and speeding to an end. Let us see how the story deals with selfish deeds of some of the major players. 

Diaboliks – This story arc comes to and end and I believe we have a full team assembled now. This has been a great additional to the Caballistics-verse. Rennie has created a unique set of characters for us to enjoy.

The Order – A great episode with one-off the best one pager you will ever see to end this episode. Great fun. I think the biggest challenge with series is the multiple characters and their different personas.

The Out – A curiosity for our main character ends the episode in a fight for survival. The last page was just awesome. Great storytelling on all accounts with the art driving the narrative.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

judgeurko

Finally a decent episode of End of Days, Flint's artwork suits this story more than Colin's. But that line "I can that's all that matters" is up there with, "somehow Palpatine has returned".

JimmyNailz

Quote from: judgeurko on 05 August, 2020, 08:58:10 AM
But that line "I can that's all that matters" is up there with, "somehow Palpatine has returned".

I disagree about the silliness of this line. [spoiler]Anderson's new abilities come from some sort of pact she made with the Angel head, she just doesn't want any of her fellow Judges to know at the moment, (but we the savvy readers know)[/spoiler].

judgeurko

Quote from: JimmyNailz on 05 August, 2020, 10:11:17 AM
Quote from: judgeurko on 05 August, 2020, 08:58:10 AM
But that line "I can that's all that matters" is up there with, "somehow Palpatine has returned".

I disagree about the silliness of this line. [spoiler]Anderson's new abilities come from some sort of pact she made with the Angel head, she just doesn't want any of her fellow Judges to know at the moment, (but we the savvy readers know)[/spoiler].
OK, sorry that I am not "savvy" enough to know...

TordelBack

Damn fine Prog, under a really sweet Cover

For those that are interested, I have posted a spoiler-filled overview of the context of this week's The Order here

Dredd: End of Days.  This continues to grow on me. Woolly's observation about initially expecting something from the more serious end of the Williams spectrum is bang-on for me: this is its own thing, and all the more enjoyable for realising it.  I agree that Anderson's glibly-explained magic trick is connected to the Angel in an as-yet unspecified way, and not any kind of authorial handwaving. 

Despite my usual gripes about incapacitated-Dredd, I thought putting Anderson in the position of making the Lopez Call made for a really gripping episode: that's one steely-eyed Psi. 

Diaboliks: Mmmm, continues to be very stylish and lightly written, but the structure is just a wee bit too familiar for me to fully embrace: I think I want it to distinguish itself from a modern-day Aquila. How the next arc plays out will be interesting.

Full Tilt Boogie: Now an influencer dooming himself to the void in pursuit of Likes should be too on-the-nose to work for me, but here it somehow does. I remain fascinated by how all the characters are so well-defined, and how much I care about them. Some terrific images this week, the art is just so consistent and clear.

The Out: Running out of ways to say this is great. In a comic where giant bears are now commonplace, even ubiquitous, Kej Daddalaakh is a standout. And that ending! What's going to happen next? NO-ONE KNOWS. That's skill, that is.