Main Menu

Meg 424 - Thirty Megnificent Years

Started by jrdd, 13 September, 2020, 02:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoin_McLove

So I haven't bought a Meg (or Prog!) for several years now, and also haven't posted on here for six years! I'm looking to start again seeing as both are jumping on issues.

But is the Meg always £7.99 now or is the price just because it's an anniversary issue?

Bolt-01

broodblik

Quote from: Eoin_McLove on 16 September, 2020, 02:43:53 PM
So I haven't bought a Meg (or Prog!) for several years now, and also haven't posted on here for six years! I'm looking to start again seeing as both are jumping on issues.

But is the Meg always £7.99 now or is the price just because it's an anniversary issue?

As Bolt said this price is only for the anniversary issue
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

And to clarify, the price-hike is because this is a bigger mag—more pages = higher price. (Also: perfect bound again.)

Eamonn Clarke

Do pages 12-13* make more sense if reversed?

*Going by digital edition numbering which calls the cover page 1

Leigh S

Yeah - looks that way! Same transposed pages i the physical as well, sadly - still it has been a while snce the grand tradition was upheld - it's pretty rare for 40 years of comics.... there was the whole episode of Firekind, a few speech bubbles on wrong pages - a Durham Red and a Rogue....?

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 16 September, 2020, 03:34:21 PM

broodblik

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 16 September, 2020, 03:34:21 PM

Yep, it does now.  Thanks for highlighting that
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Has anyone got the Lawless Badrock Melody to play? I've downloaded SoundCloud and everything buts its saying there's no actualy tracks... its not a joke I've been sucked into is it???

IndigoPrime

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 16 September, 2020, 12:17:13 PM
Yep, this is a good one. And like broodbilk this is the first time in an age where Lawless didnt take the number one spot for me- for the same reasons. I'm not one for musical comics- going right back to that Robo Hunter story in the prog back in the day, I've found them generally irritating.

That said, this one was better than most as the lyrics served the story and the story was fantastic as I would expect from Lawless. And, of course, the art was phenomenal.

I was going to agree with this. I struggle to get the tune in my head and reading musical comics, even by masters is a chore rather than a pleasure. This one was smart though as it rolled the reason for the singing into the story which was quiet bit of genius in itself...

Then they made the songs.

THEY MADE THE FUCKIN' SOUNDS

and all of a sudden its one of the GREATEST things ever!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

HOLY SHIT!

I take back everything I said and that is now the coolest thing in 2000AD history. And I am now SO going to listen to that while reading Lawless again *first thing in the morning*.

Brilliant.

SBT

broodblik

Colin YNWA

Sorry got carried away with all the singing and dancing there. Have read the rest of the Prog and its a pretty solid read.

Dredd is an excellent, explosive start examining Judge Beeny and her relationship with her families past. Art shift could have been jarring, but both artists are so good it drifts past.

Megatropolois has a fantastic start. Stunning art by David Taylor and the noir corrupt cop story cast into an alternate Mega City One is a fantastic premise. A way to go but this is an excellent start.

Dreadnoughts as folks have said is grimmy timely and put together fantastically. His one isn't going to be fun, but it could well be very good.

Anderson PSI Division - I get that there's the idea that you have to have an Anderson story in these big Meg issues but it needs to mean something. It needs to add or say something. For me this was simply didn't alas.

The Returners Glad to have this one back and it looks amazing. Interesting down to earth start and we'll see how it develops.

Delieverance Wonderfully grim start and these stories have really engaged me in a way Dark Judges stories haven't for the longest time and this one starts with great potential.

Lawless - Well discussed already but its long, looks amazing and now comes with a free audio book! Genius.

Great text pieces, particularly the interview with Dave Hunt.

I was really looking forward to the Encyclopedia but the excecution was a bit wanting. Its as if they hadn't quite got it planned out as they started and didn't have time to edit back once they got going. So the 'A' entries wash around in open space while thr 'B' are all crammed into corners. Not sure what happened but hopefully can be tidied before the final print edition as it has such potential.

broodblik

Do anyone know why Colin did not finish the Dredd story ? Will Cornwell do the next two episodes or will Colin return ?

TordelBack

Not feeling the Megatropolis love at all. Glorious atmospheric art, an interesting world, fairly conventional cops'n'corruption opener, but the pervasive alt.Dredd schtick, why?  I enjoyed the Mirror Universe Hershey intro, thought Amy Jara was a mildly clever idea, but by the time we got to 'Joe Rico' all I was thinking was OH DROKK OFF. And then it kept coming. And coming.

I have the greatest respect for 'Mr. Niemand' as a writer, but as a comedy conceit this was like a lead boot on an otherwise very lovely strip.