Main Menu

Here's one I did earlier - drawings from our past

Started by Colin YNWA, 12 December, 2020, 02:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So getting the Christmas deccies down from the loft I stumbled across some old drawings I did wayyyy back in the mists of time. After coming down and putting the tree etc up I couldn't quite get them out my head so popped back up and pulled a few out as they gave me a good idea for a thread.

Why not share some pictures you drew in the past here... if you don't this is all going to become a bit self absorbed as I have quite a few I fancy popping up, so come on join the fun.

First up my love for Bisley these days is low. I really don't get on as well with his work as many. Even his great works. But back in the day... I think I did this when I was in sixth form...

Alas the colour Joe Pineapples I did was used to front a folder at school and hasn't survived. And a Deadlock as I recall... man I used to slavishly copy Bisley's stuff.

TordelBack

Am I the only fecker on here that can't draw for shit.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 December, 2020, 02:57:36 PM

Why not share some pictures you drew in the past here... if you don't this is all going to become a bit self absorbed as I have quite a few I fancy popping up, so come on join the fun.

First up my love for Bisley these days is low. I really don't get on as well with his work as many. Even his great works. But back in the day... I think I did this when I was in sixth form...

Alas the colour Joe Pineapples I did was used to front a folder at school and hasn't survived. And a Deadlock as I recall... man I used to slavishly copy Bisley's stuff.

That is some epic stuff!

I have this photo bouncing around my folders of my skateboard from when I was about 15 or 16 maybe. I copied this from a Bolland summer special cover - sanded the board, drew in the sketch in permanent marker, and then painted over it with enamel, using the cover as reference. It took a solid week to dry! That was before I discovered the joys of quick-drying acrylics and varnish.

I wish I'd taken a better pic of it now. Still, in hindsight I think not bad for a spotty wee teenager!

Colin YNWA

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Trooper McFad

So getting the Christmas deccies down from the loft I stumbled across some old drawings I did wayyyy back in the mists of time. After coming down and putting the tree etc up I couldn't quite get them out my head so popped back up and pulled a few out as they gave me a good idea for a thread.

Cracking stuff now tell us that you didn't even take art at High School and it you just knocked that out on a free period one Friday near end of term.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Trooper McFad

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 12 December, 2020, 04:18:18 PM

That is some epic stuff!

I have this photo bouncing around my folders of my skateboard from when I was about 15 or 16 maybe. I copied this from a Bolland summer special cover - sanded the board, drew in the sketch in permanent marker, and then painted over it with enamel, using the cover as reference. It took a solid week to dry! That was before I discovered the joys of quick-drying acrylics and varnish.

I wish I'd taken a better pic of it now. Still, in hindsight I think not bad for a spotty wee teenager!

Superb Shoalin
What happened to the skateboard?

Dandontdare

A couple of biro copies from when I was at uni - We copied the same Deadlock picture! Note how I helpfully signed and dated them for the convenience of future historians and biographers

Colin YNWA

I do wonder how many folks copied those images from ABC Warriors Dandontdare. Also very confident signature you had there.

So something a bit different from me next. I played TSR Marvel Superheroes Role Playing Game a LOT in my youth and we - my friends and I - had our own band of heroes The League of Strangers who inhabited an alternative Marvel Universe. I have loads of character designs but a couple struck me. Can you guess which two 2000d characters and artists I copied for this two?

First up Gazelle (super speedster from 'The Battle Planet... don't ask)

Quartz - manifestation of Mastermind (the computer under Captain Britain's mansion)

Trooper McFad

Guys these are all pretty good did any of you or other board members ever send in pics to Thrag for one of his many comps for young earthlets over the years.
More so did anyone get published?
Recently been paging through some 80s annuals and none were the standard above.

shaolin_monkey

I'm absolutely loving these! DDD's Kano is so moody and atmospheric, and Colin's Halo is a great take on the character!

I must see if I can dig some more of my old 2000AD art stuff out, but TBH most art from my youth was lost over dozens of house moves over the years.

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 12 December, 2020, 11:13:30 PM
Superb Shoalin
What happened to the skateboard?

I used it to death and eventually had to replace the board itself. I painted the subsequent board with a freestyle non-copied Dredd, which wasn't very good. I think I then painted over that with a rendition of my Blood Bowl team, Dai Spike's All Blues.

I still have the skateboard, though the wheels are badly coned, and the rubber in the truck joints has largely perished. I last used it about four years ago. I gave my other more modern skateboards to the kids, and my daughter has taken up the mantle of family skateboarder.

shaolin_monkey

Here we go, found some more stuff, all done around the time of the skateboard:

Dredd Citadel Miniature - I still have this carefully wrapped up in a tub alongside a painted Rogue Trooper from that board game, plus my Blood Bowl team:

Actually, this must have been done just after my skateboard as it looks like one of my first forays into using acrylics. As you can see, I was a huge fan of Dillon:

Trooper McFad

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 13 December, 2020, 11:45:01 AM

Actually, this must have been done just after my skateboard as it looks like one of my first forays into using acrylics. As you can see, I was a huge fan of Dillon:

These are great I especially like you still put speech bubbles and the "droid box" in the top corner is a great wee touch.

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 December, 2020, 03:55:00 PM
Am I the only fecker on here that can't draw for shit.
It's the self-deprecation that makes it worse. "Oh this was just something I copied.." Yes Coliln. Yes Dan. We all know exacly where you copied it from. Only thing is, when I try to copy a Bisley ABC Warrior it comes out more like this:

Great stuff all round.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Adore those acyrlic Dillons Shaolin Monkey and Cosh I'll indulge your call to be less self deprecating as I've actually got some none 2000ad pictures I've always been a bit proud of - though I do see LOADS of faults. I did these over the X-Mas and Easter holidays of my first year at University, so I was 21 in 1993 into 1994 and just about the stop reading comics. As a final tribute it seems I draw youthful YNWA with some of his best comic pals - at this stage you'll note the lack of Tharg's army...

There's a few more of these I'll pop up another time. They are on card backed by tackyback to protect them as they spent years on the wall of various bedrooms! It made me look sooooo cool... ahem...