Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid - SEMI FINALS - Mike McMahon or Carlos Ezquerra

Started by Colin YNWA, 01 February, 2021, 06:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Coming up with an unranked Top Ten (or Five, or Three) is so much easier than these last few rounds...  All-in-all, though, I have to go for Carlos.  The weight of all his Dredd work (well, most of it) and the classic-era Strontium Dog (and the rest; Stainless Steel Rat is another gem, and then there's Fiends...) is just too hard to vote against, and in voting for Carlos firstly over O'Neill and now McMahon there's really no way I can alter course in the final, whoever else gets there... 

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

shaolin_monkey

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

rogue69

Huey2

Lorenzo

It's got to be Carlos

[heresy]I never really liked Mike's exaggerated style[/heresy]

DrJomster

I can't add much to what's been said above... that early Tooth McMahon period was gold... but Carlos wins it for me. A core part of the prog for so long, with such an iconic legacy. We were so lucky to have him!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Swerty

Two legends of the comic world but McMahon gets my vote.Its hard to call but the images above just edged my vote

Colin YNWA

Well the result is in no doubt from very early on. That said its been relatively quiet and so if anyone doesn't want to let the chance pass to mark their favourite from these two titans pop a vote in today and I'll announce the result tomorrow.

Andrew_J

IndigoPrime

This is a near impossible decision. Two titans of the Prog, with unique styles that — somewhat surprisingly — have never really been aped. Dredd _is_ Ezquerra, for the most part, and Strontium Dog is totally his. Everything he produced had weight and grit.

McMahon's output is limited by contrast to Ezquerra's, but no less important, having defined key elements of Dredd and ABC Warriors, along with in my mind being responsible for the finest Sláine artwork of all. Also, McMahon's art — throughout his different stylistic shifts — has a sense of dynamism and movement rarely rivalled in the world of comics.

It's almost impossible to choose. I dearly wish Ezquerra was still around, doing more Dredd and Strontium Dog indefinitely. But the title of these is also about favourites, and so if I ask myself who I'd most like to see rock up doing a new strip in the Prog tomorrow, given the chance, that'd be McMahon. So he — just — gets my vote here, as much as I hate putting one of these titans in front of the other.

TordelBack

So it comes down to this: I like individual pages and episodes of McMahon's art more than any single thing Ezquerra (or any other comics artist) ever produced - I feel my life is richer for having seen them, like the best art.  But I like Ezquerra's body of work more than McMahon's - it's almost like Mick is an artist but Carlos is an entire medium: 'gritty SF action in pictures' as a medium for storytelling, rather than a genre of stories. If that makes any sense at all.

Anyway, Carlos.

IndigoPrime

That's a good way of putting it. Might have been enough to sway my own vote had you written that up an hour ago. Maybe.