Main Menu

Does My Figure look big in this?

Started by Trooper McFad, 09 April, 2021, 09:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trooper McFad

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 01 October, 2022, 04:53:39 PM

I always enjoy looking at these. Zarjaz!

Glad they are enjoyed - just hope I can finish a few more before my eyes and fingers aren't nimble enough. I have an ambition to have 50 figures for the 50th anniversary without any repeats but don't tell the wife (currently I'm on 18 😁)
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Colin YNWA

How did I miss this?!?

I know how hard it is to draw Calvin and Hobbes, they are deceptive due to Watterson' genius. So to realise them in 3D is quite the thing.

Amazing.

Trooper McFad

well now that the Advent has started and my submissions are in I'll post the before and after images of the xmas decy's.

In the before pics you will see the additional bits and pies i added to the minis. I used "green stuff" and milliput.

I am currently working on a number of larger Figures and the first one might be ready just before Christmas  if I get my finger out.

Anyway hope you enjoyed the decy's

JohnW

Technical question: what's 'green stuff'?
(In my heedless youth, whenever I got ambitious with Citadel miniatures I tended to use bits of plasticine. When bits of plasticine couldn't be found, I made do with old blu-tack, with paint as a laminate. Far from perfect, but good enough for my far-from-perfect modelling skills.)
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Trooper McFad

Quote from: JWare on 04 December, 2022, 06:14:26 PM
Technical question: what's 'green stuff'?
(In my heedless youth, whenever I got ambitious with Citadel miniatures I tended to use bits of plasticine. When bits of plasticine couldn't be found, I made do with old blu-tack, with paint as a laminate. Far from perfect, but good enough for my far-from-perfect modelling skills.)

Green Stuff is a room-temperature curing two-part epoxy putty bought in tape format. You just trim the amount you need and add to the mini- it is a bit "sticker" than using milliput and has it's used when adding small parts. I still prefer Milliput and also use air drying clay and thanks to atp was put on to Sculpey which is great to sculpt and shape but does need cured in the oven. So not used when I'm adding to a plastic figure.

JohnW

I have been schooled.
Thank you kindly.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

lincnash

Damn cool non-PC Fatties McFad.
I consider this thread 'yours' for showing of your IMMENSE modelling talents and wouldn't want to draw the spotlight away from you.
But you did specifically ask nicely for me to post here in the HIYA thread.

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 03 October, 2022, 10:12:02 PM
If you do a smash up please post on "Does my figure look big in this.." I'd love to see it 😁👍🏻

Here we go with some 'work in progress' pics of my 1/12 custom MEAN.
As I was setting up for pic on a sunny Radback morning it struck me the figures silhouette looks really good.

:-)

HIYA's impending release of their version of MEAN really does resemble a Critchlow as they were aiming for.
My fond memories are of the 'early' MEAN, when we meet him in the JUDGE CHILD QUEST and his reincarnation in DESTINY"S ANGELS.
Full on McMahon-ey and Ezquerra-ey ZARJAZNESS!
I loved him when he was a chaotic villain and less so later in the 90s when he became a bit of a joke character along with JUDGE DEATH :-(

Base figure is finished now, ripe for painting and detailing.
I will make him 'ThreeA-like" with grubby fabric clothing after his paint app.
At this stage with the donor PUNISHER costume still showing, I instantly thought to present:-
FRANK ANGEL - THE BOKISHER
He boks the guilty

lincnash

Trawling my HDD I thought I'd add in these previous 1/12 customs and still looking for FINK pics.
Really dirty on ThreeA for teasing/promising FIRE for around 3 years with drokk all to show for it but a ridiculous SATANUS proto, although the figures they did release leaves a fantastic legacy.

An earlier custom was ROGUE as I couldn't see any company doing him in the near future.

Will have to do new pics showcasing of HELM and BAGMAN

I'll also have to dust of 1/12 FINK and RATTY and post a few of their pics.
When MEAN is complete may have to tackle a WALTER like yours and team him with a MARIA :-)
we got your wumman Dredd!

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Trooper McFad

Absolutely fantastic lincnashOZ
Those are brilliant. Like you I am tired of waiting for well made over priced kits or figures.

It's great to see these and this is what this thread was created for. I was getting worried that I was the only one still doing this stuff.

I'm always looking for inspiration so I might steal ideas from you and anyone else that post their creations.

I look forward to your completed Mean and seeing Helm & Bagman along with Fink and Ratty. The more pictures the better.

What did you use for fire on your "Fire" ?

Like your base for mean I've went down the Marvel/DC/WWF 1/12 figures to mashup. I've splashed out on a bundle on eballs which includes the Hulk, Thor, Captain America etc so watch this space over the next year. I'll mix those in with a couple of creations from scratch I'll be a busy bee.

So if there's anymore Squaxx out there with tooth inspired figures or models let's share them.

lincnash

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 06 December, 2022, 09:32:08 PM
Great stuff!
Quote from: Trooper McFad on 06 December, 2022, 10:12:27 PM
Absolutely fantastic lincnashOZ
No worries fellows :-)

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 06 December, 2022, 10:12:27 PM
I'm always looking for inspiration so I might steal ideas from you and anyone else that post their creations.
What did you use for fire on your "Fire" ?
No problems at all, if any of my customs generates motivation in yourself or others, GO FOR IT!

For the fire effect, I blobbed a few dabs of clear silicone sealant (for roofing or bathrooms) onto a disposable pallet (margarine container lid).
Then a few drops of red, orange and yellow, Humbrol enamel paints I still have from military modelling days.
Drag a matchstick through the silicone/paint blobs to get a 'streaky fire effect', then apply in dabs, slowly pulling the stick away which gives a 'curly wisps of flame' effect.
Leave at least 24hrs to cure.
Only seeing FIRE on B&W toilet-paper or TITAN reprints as a kid, I always thought of him having a similar look to Marvel's GHOST RIDER, so have applied the fire detail sparingly in comparison to artists fully engulfed or even modern spooky supernatural greenish flames.
;-)

Trooper McFad

Thanks LincnashOZ that fire tip is out of the box hacks I love and is now stored away for future ref.

atp

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 04 December, 2022, 06:52:30 PM

I still prefer Milliput and also use air drying clay and thanks to atp was put on to Sculpey which is great to sculpt and shape but does need cured in the oven. So not used when I'm adding to a plastic figure.

Hi Trooper McFad
Have you thought about using one of those wooden artists mannequins. Although they are not able to achieve a good pose out of the box, if you dismantle one and re-thread with armature wire held in with milliput you can get a fairly  decent pose.

For Sculpey aluminum foil armatures do a great job of posing and also reduce the amount of Sculpey needed.

Also have you heard of or tried Apoxie Sculpt, pretty much the same as milliput, but larger amount and a bit cheaper https://www.jhtsupplies.co.uk/apoxie-sculpt-white-4lb/p00000911.

Really like the fatties and am looking forward to your next figure.
The freedom of choice should be compulsory

Trooper McFad

Thanks atp

I'll look into all your tips.

I have thought about the wooden artists mannequins but at the moment if I find the right plastic figure it goes a long way to my final outcome. And at a good price and I tell myself I'm recycling 😂😂

Both the Gronk and the Calvin & Hobbes figures ha aluminium skeletons. I found that it allowed me to adjust the pose mid build (slightly) until I was hap with it.
I'm also trying to keep some arm or head movements in some of my latest figures but we'll wait and see if this works.

atp

The freedom of choice should be compulsory