Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2022

Started by Dash Decent, 20 July, 2021, 01:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nxylas

Quote from: Dash Decent on 17 September, 2022, 02:03:50 AM
Close - 27th January.
I'm assuming the episode in the Christmas prog isn't episode 1 then.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Am I the only one for whom the Meg's forthcoming format-change is *just about the most exciting thing to happen in ages*? So many questions! Is this the end of the floppies? Will the reprint be inside? (The unacceptability of which was surely what started the floppies in the first place?) Will we be seeing less new material, or the same, or more? Will there be a change of page size/ shape? A new logo? More, or fewer, text pages? What about price point?

I love it when the prog and Meg change their outward appearance- and I have said in the past that I think the prog especially has been stuck the way it is for far too long. Could the prog be finally getting a revamp too?

As I say, this is BEYOND THRILLING. I can't wait!

SBT

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

For example: this new squarebound format- at the current size? Or at the smaller, US size of the new 'Best Of' title?

SBT

broodblik

I also feel that the prog can get a face-lift. Hopefully we will get more "new" stuff with the format change of the meg. It also looks like the meg from now on might get a x-mas edition like the prog
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Monarch

I really, really did not like the idw stuff

Magnetica

I had completely forgotten that the Meg used to be square bound. And it used to include the re-print material inside. So it sounds like it's going back to a similar format to how to used to be.

Colin YNWA

There's a lot going on in there and hopefully we will get more details of what the new regular Meg will be like ongoing. Even as a digital subscriber I'm very interested to see what they do and what the new content will be.

Fingers crossed.

As for the Prog I'm in the if it ain't broke don't fix camp. For me the Prog works as is, but if change comes I'll approach with an open mind...

IndigoPrime

I'm not sure what you could do to the Prog to change it without adversely affecting the comic. The Meg has always been a bit of a moving target, though. I hope it's still doing well and that the format change is for other reasons (sustainability; ease of production; flexibility of content) than sales.

If nothing else, it'll be interesting to see how people react to the change. From a psychological standpoint, the Meg pulled a clever trick when it started with the floppies. People got into thinking they were paying for the main comic and the floppy was a 'free' extra. Whereas when the comic was combined, some parties were annoyed at paying for a magazine where half of it was reprint. Ultimately, the overall package has long been pretty much the same.

Magnetica

Yeah the Prog has been the same format pretty much all the time i.e 5 stories. The only changes have been in paper, logo, size-  but only to a limited extent -? and the amount of colour pages. The only only other changes have been the very occasional one page strip and for a short while only, music reviews (which as I type that sound so out of place). So I agree, not really sure what they could do.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I was, of course, talking about the look and feel of the comic, not the content. That particular paper size and the cover design have been around since 2007 (the logo design since xmas prog #2008, Dec 2007 and the paper dimensions long before that.) That's fifteen and a half years! Time for a change- perhaps to the same dimensions as The Beano (which tends to stick out on the shelf while the prog gets hidden behind things, being much shorter), perhaps even the same paperstock?

Anyway, whatever, exciting!

SBT

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 18 September, 2022, 03:42:32 PM
Time for a change- perhaps to the same dimensions as The Beano

Highly unlikely, I think, that we'll see any kind of format change that would have a knock-on effect on the TPB lines...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richard

I like the logo, no need to change it just because some time has passed.

IndigoPrime

I think the question you have to ask with any format change is: why? There have to be benefits. I can think of several for the Meg. I can't think of any that would come from adjusting 2000 AD's page size. As for the logo, I like the current one and it's a brand that's well known. Would it benefit 2000 AD to change this? Probably not.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 18 September, 2022, 04:14:18 PM
I can't think of any that would come from adjusting 2000 AD's page size.

The only one I can think of may be availability of specific sizes in the teeth of this paper shortage, but we shall see...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

Just go digital since digital do not care about paper size
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.