Main Menu

Looking for JD/Anderson reading/merch suggestions.

Started by RookieNerd, 26 February, 2022, 02:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RookieNerd

Dredd/Anderson noob here. Looking for reading JD/Anderson suggestions. This year I have read most of the 69 books which I own out of the Mega Collection 90 book run I have. Very few low points with a few really good high points. A solid entertaining read generally. I have read the 2000AD digest formats of Dredd/Batman & Ghost Town. Every Empire Falls is still unread. Early comic book Dredd around Judge Cal time didn't do it for me. The PJ Maybe stuff I found annoying. America, Android, Wally Squad stuff and the Pit are the major highlights I have read so far.

I Like both the else world JD films. With Stallone cheesy take and Urban's grounded take. Found out Dredd does have a elseworld dimensional multiverse due to the Mega Collection.

Also intrested in Judge Dredd merch which I found is very limited. Really would like a Helmet, figurine and a good framed poster. I notice the fan fiction is fairly limited. I did find Judge Minty on YT and thought that was a pretty cool fan made production.

I read Batman Hush lately which is supposed to one of the top ten Batman comics of all time. I just thought to myself yeah it's ok, but kind of tame and limited compared to Dredds general Judges on the beat stories. I think I like dark, gritty, (Devlin) bizzare, satire. Satans Island comes to mind. Reading the Watchmen and thinking about trying the Boys comics for the first time.

Pretty excited geting into comic books so hence all the waffling.

Colin YNWA

While I've not read 'Hush' the creative team does suggest that it was never going to be that good. When it comes to Batman the Grant (of Dredd fame) and Breyfogle run, nominally start with John  Wagner, but he quickly stepped aside and his name remained on the book just to ensure the deal they made was kept to. Also the Grant Morrison run are by far my favs. of course Miller is the go to form recommendations there - so Dark Knight and Year One defo worth checking out.

For mainstream comics with a bit of grit Daredevil tops Bats anytime.

For Anderson I'm not sure what you have in the 69 Hachette books but you can't go wrong with Anderson with any of the stories in first 4 Psi-Files https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/graphic-novels/judge-anderson; the fifth looks great but isn't as strong.

For Dredd world if you've not read it check out Lawless - its quite brilliant.

Other 2000ad stuff, well there's just so much, based on what you've said checking out John Smith writing might work as well.

For Satire check out the work of Mark Russell.

They would be just some of my recommendations, but hopefully as you explore here you'll find all sorts of chat about things to to check out.

RookieNerd

I know the outcome of some of the stories of Batman that was in the top 10 of all time like DK, Killing Joke, Death in Family. I picked Hush, because it short run to try out and would be a total surprise read for sure.

I like the first season of the Dare Devil show. I am trying to focus on variants of characters that I know something about thanks to movies, boxsets or games.

Thank you I checked that link for Anderson. Some overlap with Mega Collection stories. It will help trying to avoid duplicates.

JD Lawless is volume 90 in the MC. I don't have the last ten volumes yet. My MC is upto volume 80 with a few missing in between.

Checking out those names on the wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Smith_(comics_writer) & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Russell_(comics)

You have been a great help and appreciate the time you took to help out thank you.