Main Menu

FFT - ROUND of 16 - Nemesis the Warlock vs Zenith - Heat 08

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 August, 2022, 06:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

zenith is genius from start to finish. the design is meticulous and satisfying, as is the actual plotting. this makes every reread an astounding pleasure. satire, superheroes, the occult, comedy, action and a story that is all consuming while remaining beautifully insouciant.

rogue69

IndigoPrime

Quote from: AlexF on 25 August, 2022, 09:27:49 AMBut are people really suggesting that Nemesis the Warlock is anything less than perfect for not just 4 books, but 7?
For me, it was amazing through to Gothic Empire, wobbly from Vengeance through to Torquemada the God, and then – bar the odd high and some lovely art – rough through to the end.

In terms of the end, I thought the initial one worked fairly well, even if [spoiler]it was appallingly cruel on Seth[/spoiler], but then the second one rode roughshod over all of that, which [spoiler]admittedly got Seth out of that bind, but felt like a get-out[/spoiler].

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 25 August, 2022, 09:27:49 AM
Oh crikey! Gotta gets some votes in for my alien quick!

To be fair I've learnt and said on numerous votes early votes are not to be trusted as it chnages rapidly.

sheridan

I agree with what most have said about both series, but my vote goes to Nemesis, as ever (I'd be midly surprised if any matches come up that leads me to vote against the Warlock, but we'll find out).

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Max Headroom

I like 'Zenith' a lot, but for me 'Nemesis The Warlock' wins this hands down.

Timothy

Zenith for me. Nemesis is good, of course, and the earlier parts bordered on genius but it did tend to drift in the middle and came to an unsatisfying end. Even the brief return of Tubular Hells was just another scrap. Zenith on the other hand was quality throughout (Zzzenith being an entirely separate strip that for some reason hasn't featured in this tourney).

Sean SD

sheridan

Quote from: Timothy on 25 August, 2022, 02:04:37 PM
Zenith for me. Nemesis is good, of course, and the earlier parts bordered on genius but it did tend to drift in the middle and came to an unsatisfying end. Even the brief return of Tubular Hells was just another scrap. Zenith on the other hand was quality throughout (Zzzenith being an entirely separate strip that for some reason hasn't featured in this tourney).

And the Bicycle Repair Man text story?

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 25 August, 2022, 02:56:09 PM
Quote from: Timothy on 25 August, 2022, 02:04:37 PM

And the Bicycle Repair Man text story?

It was Millar's fault!  Tales of the Alternative Earths: Montgomery: Ordinary Human Being.  Fancy that, Millar ripping off an idea and repackaging it for 2000AD...

Proudhuff

Tough choice, sooo much nostalgia for both but from different periods, still Zenith wins for sheer pizzazz!!
DDT did a job on me