Main Menu

FFT - Semi Final 1 - Nikolai Dante vs Nemesis the Warlock

Started by Colin YNWA, 06 September, 2022, 06:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Sponsored by 2000ad in Stages - see links below.

Nikolai Dante - more info

VS

Nemesis the Warlock - more info

The draw might not have given us the semi-finals we wanted, but it's probably given us the semi-finals we needed. These two are probably the two thrills that (well aside from Halo in my mind) stood any sort of chance against Strontium Dog. So it's fitting that they meet here so when we get to the final its probably the best possible competition we could have.

I simply don't know how to call it so let's just get on and see hey!

Form book - Thrills vanquished to date (in order of round met earliest to latest):

Nikolai Dante: Age of the Wolf; Caballistics Inc; DR & Quinch; Survival Geeks; ABC Warriors; Savage

Nemesis: Bison; Indigo Prime; Defoe; Insurrection; Zenith; Kingdom

SEMI FINAL - will feature just one thrill a day. I'd like to pretend this is to give these epic thrills more space and time to be commented on AND I think we'll allow them an extra day to run as only two ties all week. So to make sure everyone gets the chance we'll wrap up on... well I'll come to that.

To Vote Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 10th September and the winner gets a place in the Semi Finals.

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Huey2

rogue69

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Like in the best sea shanty
I'm wearing my jumper for Dante.

SBT

Timothy

Nemesis had a great opening, and some wonderful art along the way. It rambled badly in the middle though and ended poorly. Dante on the other hand started less well, but found its feet remarkably quickly and soon became essential. It too had a wobble in the middle (Amerika, I'm looking at you) but even at this point it was still coherent, enjoyable and took the story forward. And it ended beautifully. Dante FTW.

AlexF

I can't argue that Dante was great all the way through, while Nemesis wasn't. Or that Dante lacks anything in terms of character, plotting, amazing moments, imaginative sci-fi nonsesne, all of that. And great, GREAT art.
But the highs of Nemesis, in terms of art, story and character are just unbeatably high. No matter that there's more Dante, or that Dante tells one continuous very great story, versus Nemesis which promised to tell one continuous story and that gets more than muddles by the end.

The sheer ability of Nemesis books 1-VII to toally absorb my brain across decades of my life is more powerful, perhaps even than Dredd.

Nemesis T Warlock
, please.

sheridan

davidbishop

Aaron A Aardvark

Magnetica

My view is similar to Alex's above. The highs of Nemesis are the equal of anything ever in the Prog. There are scenes and characters that have stuck with me since childhood. It's one of only two thrills I have given serious consideration to with regard to voting against Stront.

Dante was a key part of ensuring the survival of the Prog. But it can't match the thrills of Nemesis; as good as it is, it's just never quite grabbed me the way Nemesis has.

So Nemesis for me.

abelardsnazz

Nemesis has so much wonder, but then when Dante becomes the awesome 1-2-3 of Morrison, Fraser and Burns, there really is nothing to touch it.

Nikolai Dante.