Main Menu

Prog 2298 - The Nightmare Man

Started by broodblik, 07 September, 2022, 05:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

Quote from: AlexF on 12 September, 2022, 10:38:58 AM
Fascinated by the marmite reaction to 'The Crawly Man'. I'm in the love it camp. Partly it's the art, but also it's the mashing-up of various very different sorts of horror stories.
Obvs the Wicker Man, but also the 'crazy family who kidnap children for horrendous purposes' (See Mum&Dad - or rather don't, it's seriously unpleasant), and then the 'magician and his demon on a mission' story (OK so I can't think of a film to match that one has such, unless you count the adaptation of Constantine) - and for good measure the 'monster in the cupboard' story, coupled with the 'child is secretly a conduit for demons' story, which are both basically Stephen King staples.

This quite neatly sums up a lot of why I didn't like it - it feels like a load of ideas nicked from other sources and poorly jammed together. Thinking critically about it though, what I really don't like is the protagonists - the bloke feels very generic (he's cynical and throws people through pub windows! he's a cool tough guy!) and the 'banter' dialogue with his magic dog is awful. I think funny, naturalistic banter is really hard to write (unless you're Dan Abnett) and it's something that often switches me off on books and comics.
I actually think the tale would be better without them in it, focusing on the other elements.

I'm actually quite glad that other people are digging this story, because it means rather than being rubbish it's just not my bag: it's an anthology and I can take there being stuff there I dislike if it's working for someone else!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 12 September, 2022, 11:19:22 AM
I'm actually quite glad that other people are digging this story, because it means rather than being rubbish it's just not my bag: it's an anthology and I can take there being stuff there I dislike if it's working for someone else!

Defo my favourite thing about the best of 2000ad fandon. As its an anthology I love the diversity of views on strips and they way that makes you reflect on things you might otherwise reject out of hand...

... well unless folks vote against Lawless and Dante in meaningless tourneys - them they can go to sea...

chuffsteruk

Postie's been and gone here in Colchester, still no Prog. :'( Best get on to Subs services....

AlexF

I can't argue with anything you're saying, Boots, but somehow all the same things are making me smile rather than tut.
I strongly suspect it's the art - I'm getting a real 'indie british horror' vibe off it, and it's enderaing me to the characters - whole are all absolute bastards, no question - but even more to the overall situation. I think I want the Crawly Man to 'win', whatever that might mean for this story. Hopefully I'll find out tonight if I can succesfully download the latest Prog!