Main Menu

FFT - FINNNALLLLL1!!! - Strontium Dog vs Nikolai Dante

Started by Colin YNWA, 13 September, 2022, 06:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Judge

For those undecided, I present the following evidence in support of Strontium Dog (grabbed from Colin's Strontium Dog finals vote thread).

This is (in my humble opinion) an unbeatable listing of thrill power:

The Killing
Top Dog
The Kreeler Conspiracy
The Doc Quince Case
Incident Mayger Minor
Portrait of a Mutant
Two-Faced Terror
The Bad Boys Bust
The Schicklgruber Grab
The Son
The Gronk Affair
Rage
Traitor to his Kind
The Moses Incident
The Beast of Milton Keynes

AlexF

Yeah, but the counter argument is that 'The Adventures of Nikolai Dante' functions as one continuous story, and it's basically ALL top quality.

Harder to dip in and out of vs Stront, maybe, and certainly harder to pick out specific favourite storylines - but the fact that it never went off the boil and sustained a proper ending is to be celebrated.

Mind you, kind of absurd to claim either thrill is 'better' than the other - both have brought me so much joy, but in very different ways.

Magnetica

The early Dantes, before the war stars can be read as kinda standalone stories, albeit with an underlying continuing thread. But you can still dip in and out I think.

But the key thing for me, is Dante never reached the same levels of excitement as Stront, [spoiler]apart from maybe when he lost the weapons crest[/spoiler] so I can't vote for it in this tie.

Huey2

Funt Solo

I'm counting this as close, but Alpha's top dog by (I think) a single vote. It's Westinghouse Variable Cartridge Blaster vs. Huntsman 5000. I'd say, with the Crest, Dante would always win, but without it ... not a chance against Johnny Vierd Eyes.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

Jim_Campbell

Although I advocated for Dante in the semis, I don't think I can choose here. I mean, I can't argue with anything anyone has said about the brilliance of multiple Strontium Dog stories.

And yet, at the same time, nothing in SD, not even 'Rage', hit me the same way as [spoiler]Dante stabbing Konstantin in the back.[/spoiler] I genuinely gasped out loud... I can't think of many other moment in comics that hit me as hard as that one. After the turgid slog of the mid-90s, that was a point where I genuinely thought: "This is as good as comics get."

Yeah. OK, I choose.

Nikolai Dante.

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

This is a lot closer than I was expecting. It's quite heartening really. Dante isn't by any stretch a very modern thrill – it's not Brink, say. But it's great to see something that isn't one of the usual suspects slugging it out at the very top and properly holding its own. (I was expecting something closer to a landslide than what's turning out to be a very close match.)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 14 September, 2022, 06:49:26 PM
I'm counting this as close, but Alpha's top dog by (I think) a single vote. It's Westinghouse Variable Cartridge Blaster vs. Huntsman 5000. I'd say, with the Crest, Dante would always win, but without it ... not a chance against Johnny Vierd Eyes.

I've not even thought about doing a precount yet, but if this is right I'm astonished and delighted. Regardless of how we feel about the strips its brilliant this final turned into the final we wanted it to be. A real battle between two top, top stories.

Long may it continue... well for two days at least!

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Robin Low on 13 September, 2022, 07:30:15 PM
I've not voted in a single one of these votes before, so if that kinda disqualifies my vote, I've no problem with that.

Strontium Dog

No, that doesn't disqualify you at all.  It actually means you have about thirty votes saved up that you haven't used, so your SD vote will be counted as 30 votes.  <-- counters take note!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dash Decent on 15 September, 2022, 09:26:22 AM
Quote from: Robin Low on 13 September, 2022, 07:30:15 PM
I've not voted in a single one of these votes before, so if that kinda disqualifies my vote, I've no problem with that.

Strontium Dog

No, that doesn't disqualify you at all.  It actually means you have about thirty votes saved up that you haven't used, so your SD vote will be counted as 30 votes.  <-- counters take note!

Sorry both I need to clarify the FFT - AoP* Rulebook here. If you check section 16/F.45 subset Orange; Parargraph - Feeling of melonchy You will of course see the rule:

QuoteAll none used votes from the 30 minimum allocated will not be assigned to Thrill last voted for. Rather they will be allocated as follows:
i To the other thrill in the final as a punishment for not wasting your life entering these endless tournaments
ii To an alternate if the Ruling Commit so demand - the ruling committee is consists of colin.ynwa who is damned well going to allocate them to Nikolai Dante

Note an appeal to this allocation can be filed via form 4/567235 section - Tuesday blues and will be sat on and ignored cos like I can do that.

I checked this with the Rules review Panel = ME and yeah its been confirmed that all 29 additional votes will be allocate to Nikolai Dante accordingly.

The tie is basically over folks...

*Abuse of Power