Main Menu

Brain Bolland memoir

Started by Richard S., 21 September, 2022, 06:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard S.

Book Palace have announced that there'll be 3 versions of Brian Bolland's memoir available next Spring...

https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/2022/09/brain-bolland-picto-memoir-3-versions.html
For 2,500+ other posts about all aspects of British comics then why not check out my blog at
https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/

Follow me on twitter @richardandsheaf

Colin YNWA

Lorenzo

F**k me. When was that book jacket designed? 1986?

judgeurko

Quote from: Lorenzo on 21 September, 2022, 10:59:41 AM
Gotta agree. Looks awful.

nxylas

Quote from: judgeurko on 21 September, 2022, 11:15:22 AM
Quote from: Lorenzo on 21 September, 2022, 10:59:41 AM
Gotta agree. Looks awful.
if only they knew a talented artist who could draw a better cover.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

GordonR

You can definitely see why someone who's famous for his masterful comic cover illustrations would instead go with a shockingly-designed photograph thing that looks like a parody of a vanity published book that on-one would ever want to read.

IndigoPrime

The weird gradient within the text is quite something. It looks like Word art. In all, it's a very odd choices for someone known for their amazing linework.

nxylas

Quote from: GordonR on 22 September, 2022, 03:13:42 PM
You can definitely see why someone who's famous for his masterful comic cover illustrations would instead go with a shockingly-designed photograph thing that looks like a parody of a vanity published book that on-one would ever want to read.
He may not have had any say in the matter. I personally know an author who begged his publisher to change the cover of one of his books, even offering to pay for the rights to the photo he wanted to use. But his publisher insisted on the (horrible) cover that they eventually went with.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Funt Solo

Probably the publisher couldn't afford a Bolland cover.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

judgeurko

I wont buy a physical copy now so just kindle dont want that cover on my bookshelf

IndigoPrime

Quote from: nxylas on 22 September, 2022, 06:09:47 PMHe may not have had any say in the matter. I personally know an author who begged his publisher to change the cover of one of his books, even offering to pay for the rights to the photo he wanted to use.
Been there myself more than once. But you'd think Bolland would have more clout.