Main Menu

Quick Dredd questions topic

Started by PsychoGoatee, 14 October, 2022, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PsychoGoatee

Didn't see one in recent pages, always good to ask some Judge Dredd questions.

My question: are the Angel Gang cannibals in the comics, or just in the 90s movie? Aside from Fink, who I figure is.

And if so, when was that first mentioned?

Dandontdare

Don't think they've ever been mentioned as cannibals in the comic - but I wouldn't put it past 'em!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 14 October, 2022, 08:26:45 AM
Don't think they've ever been mentioned as cannibals in the comic - but I wouldn't put it past 'em!

There was a period where someone in editorial/senior management was very determined that there be no cannibalism. I don't know where the instruction came from (I have a feeling it wasn't David Bishop*) but Kev and I were asked to drop a gag from an early episode of The Inspectre where it's implied that the isolated prison facility had survived for so long because the staff were eating the inmates, as and when they shuffled off, to supplement the rations.

*Well, not directly. I think it did, sort of, come from David, or at least via him — it's a long time ago, and was relayed to me via Kev, but I remember it being framed as "someone higher up will freak out if we leave this in".
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

AlexF

My abiding vision of the Angel Gang is that they were super into torturing their victims, even building comples machines to do it better. Which is arguably nastier than cannibalism? I don't know that even Fink actually ate anyone? Maybe he let Ratty have a little gnaw now and again...

I know people like the Angels from Judge Dredd '95, but I wasn't a fan of Pa Angel's rebrand as a crazed Bible type. I can see why they did it, but not my thing.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: AlexF on 14 October, 2022, 09:46:19 AM
My abiding vision of the Angel Gang is that they were super into torturing their victims, even building comples machines to do it better. Which is arguably nastier than cannibalism?

Well, quite — that was our reaction: We can have people literally blown to pieces or dropped into meat grinders, but God forbid a bit of them ends up in someone else's mouth...? Didn't make a huge amount of sense to us, either.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 October, 2022, 08:55:47 AM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 14 October, 2022, 08:26:45 AM

There was a period where someone in editorial/senior management was very determined that there be no cannibalism. I don't know where the instruction came from (I have a feeling it wasn't David Bishop*) but Kev and I were asked to drop a gag from an early episode of The Inspectre where it's implied that the isolated prison facility had survived for so long because the staff were eating the inmates, as and when they shuffled off, to supplement the rations.

*Well, not directly. I think it did, sort of, come from David, or at least via him — it's a long time ago, and was relayed to me via Kev, but I remember it being framed as "someone higher up will freak out if we leave this in".

There you go, bashing the Bishop again
DDT did a job on me

Richard

"Bashing the bishop" sounds like a euphemism for wanking!

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 October, 2022, 09:53:51 AM
Quote from: AlexF on 14 October, 2022, 09:46:19 AM
My abiding vision of the Angel Gang is that they were super into torturing their victims, even building comples machines to do it better. Which is arguably nastier than cannibalism?

Well, quite — that was our reaction: We can have people literally blown to pieces or dropped into meat grinders, but God forbid a bit of them ends up in someone else's mouth...? Didn't make a huge amount of sense to us, either.

Well thank grud we headed off a generation of kids pickling their little brothers in giant test tubes of vinegar.

M.I.K.

I don't think there was any implication of cannibalism from any of the family 'til the very 'Hills-Have-Eyes'-ish Ratfink, (apparent son of Fink), turned up.

Funt Solo

For cannibals, you're going to need to put your flatin' gear on and visit the Alabammy Blimps.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

PsychoGoatee

Thanks! Always get the good stuff on here.

pauljholden

Quote from: Funt Solo on 14 October, 2022, 06:56:59 PM
For cannibals, you're going to need to put your flatin' gear on and visit the Alabammy Blimps.

god Steve was great.

Robin Low

Quote from: pauljholden on 15 October, 2022, 02:11:03 PM

god Steve was great.

I always manage to forget him when we talk about the best Dredd artists, but he really, really was one of the very best.

Regards,

Robin

Funt Solo

Quote from: Robin Low on 15 October, 2022, 06:01:33 PM
Quote from: pauljholden on 15 October, 2022, 02:11:03 PM

god Steve was great.

I always manage to forget him when we talk about the best Dredd artists, but he really, really was one of the very best.

Regards,

Robin

Steve Dillon's art lifted any story up in the air by a hundred miles. I always loved his art.

Beyond the Wall:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++