Main Menu

Meg 450: Skeleton Crew

Started by Tomwe, 14 November, 2022, 12:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomwe

Read the text article promoting Philip Bond's Geezer, then went to the site to see about ordering. They wanted $90 to ship a $10 book to the UK! (Oh and the $16 tax). Is this Brexit at work?

IndigoPrime

No. That's a stupid set-up at work. First, there should be no tax. This is a VAT-free item. Secondly, $90 is more than I paid for my priority FedEx orders from InStockTrades, which included several omnibus hardcovers. You'd expect some hefty postage if this is packaged well. But even so, $90 is bloody ridiculous. Maybe see if Gosh in London has any copies left and is willing to send one out to you.

EDIT: The tax is presumably US sales tax, thinking about it. 15% isn't current UK VAT. But also, god knows what would happen when such a comic reached the UK. There's a reasonable chance you'd be hit for import duty if this lot don't know what they're doing. This is as bad as the horror show that was Atomic Robo's Kickstarter.

Tomwe

Thanks, there was no mention of a UK supplier in the article. I'll try Gosh.

Tomwe

Philip Bond says you can get Geezer here if you're in the UK: https://geezerblimey.bigcartel.com

Tjm86

Meanwhile, in the Meg itself ...

The current lineup is not massively to my taste in all honesty.  I can't quite get into the current crop of Devlin Waugh tales, try as I might.  In all honesty I've never been a major fan but as things stand right now I'm completely lost.  The same goes for Death Metal.  It seems to have drifted in ways I can't quite get my head around.

Completing the supernatural trilogy for this month is Storm Warning.  Normally Langley's artwork leaves me cringing when he is on anything but cover duties but this works well.  He seems to have turned back the clock to his pre-digital era.  Colours are better suited to the work.  It's actually something I can follow for a change.  Of the three in this genre it's far and away the best.

Which leaves an Edgington / D'israeli Dredd and Wagner / MacNeil on Chopper.  Two strong creative teams.  Both at the top of their games.  Wagner running some oldies that suit Macneil's talents.  Edgington going with some fairly predictable elements too that let D'israeli strut his stuff.  One moving on their tale, the other wrapping theirs up.

All round then this month's left me a bit flat (although it might still be me rather than the meg).  The text piece on McMahon's Apex edition makes me wish I had the cash to spare.  Looks like a thing of beauty.  An interesting little piece on Baikie's connection to Scapa Flow and an advertorial for the Dredd boardgame round out the text pieces along with Bond's latest comic endeavour.

It's going to be interesting to see how things go with the return to the square bound format next month.  In all honesty I'm not too disappointed to see the loss of the floppies.  The news that the reprints are going to take in IDW's Dredd stuff as well as bits from the Treasury are certainly welcome.  I'd be more than happy to see variable quality treasury stuff if it means we get some lost gems from the past and as far as the IDW stuff is concerned whilst it hasn't blown me away in the past I'd be happy to see if does improve with a revisit.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Monarch

i got this in but not the prog i still have yet to read it but i think theres some time travel shenanigans going on with some of the ads in the meg. An advert for the christmas prog and an advert for an ultimate collection book thats not due out til the beginning of december

broodblik

A few things are also confirmed in the meg as well:
- From next issue the IDW Dredd Year One and Mega-City 2 stories will be in the meg
- Joe Pineapples are going to be part of the xmas prog (and The Out as well)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Monarch on 16 November, 2022, 05:30:11 AM
an advert for an ultimate collection book thats not due out til the beginning of december

Which is —what— two weeks away...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

M.I.K.

Yep, and the Christmas prog also comes out a week before the next issue of the Megazine does.

The Monarch

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 November, 2022, 08:57:18 AM
Quote from: The Monarch on 16 November, 2022, 05:30:11 AM
an advert for an ultimate collection book thats not due out til the beginning of december

Which is —what— two weeks away...?

you lie it can't be two weeks away....oh my god where is the time going

JudgeJudi

Maybe it's covered in the story and I missed it but why is Storm Warning set three years in the future of the Dreddverse present?

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: JudgeJudi on 16 November, 2022, 02:43:41 PM
Maybe it's covered in the story and I missed it but why is Storm Warning set three years in the future of the Dreddverse present?

Not just that, Death Metal is set in the future as well.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

JudgeJudi

Because that is set so far - twenty years - I think we will find it's either not real or will turn out to be something where they end up traveling in time to avoid being a dark future.

It cannot be "real" because there is no chance that Dredd never encounters them again in the 'present'.

Storm Warming I just find weird because nothing in the narrative as far as I can tell needs it to be slightly in the future.