Main Menu

List of issues

Started by WebAdmin, 05 February, 2023, 09:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

The new forum skin looks nice, but the decreased functionality has coincided with me being pretty down on the contents of the comics to make me use it even less, I'm afraid.

I know other users have different browsing habits but, for me, the "updated topics" option is no substitute for "active topics" and makes the site a lot less usable because:
- It only shows topics with an unread post. Once you read it and go back to the list that topic is fallen from page, no more to rise forever! Makes it a lot harder to quickly read the new posts then go back and reply to topics you're interested in.
- It doesn't actually show all the updated topics. A few days ago I realised that I hadn't seen a Prog review thread for a while and took a look from the main menu. Haven't done an exhaustive check, but the "SPOILER" sub-forums definitely aren't included.

Quote from: scrotnig on 07 February, 2023, 08:29:29 PMWhen viewing on a small screen, those three links at the top are still not clickable. They are present but they are not actually links.

You might already have found this, but the links will work if you tilt your phone to landscape. I guess there's some invisible formatting element extending over them in portrait.

We never really die.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: I, Cosh on 21 March, 2023, 10:19:01 AM...the "updated topics" option is no substitute for "active topics" and makes the site a lot less usable...

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dark Jimbo

Yep, I'm now here a fraction of the time that I used to be, and that's all because of the loss of 'Active topics.'

Please, please, pleeeeeeease get it reinstated.
@jamesfeistdraws

broodblik

Does the 'Updated Topics' not do the same as the 'Active Topics'?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 22 March, 2023, 12:04:08 PMYep, I'm now here a fraction of the time that I used to be, and that's all because of the loss of 'Active topics.'

Please, please, pleeeeeeease get it reinstated.

Me too
Lock up your spoons!

Funt Solo

Quote from: Credo! on 04 February, 2023, 05:55:40 PMFound a mod that might help with applying a "recently updated topics" link for the board: Recent Topics On "Recent Posts" Page.

Not sure why this hasn't been picked up, but perhaps there's a technical issue I'm not aware of.

WebAdmin last posted on Feb 06, so has probably completed their work placement scheme.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Here is an example of an "active topics" page.

And here are some clever phpBB bods who seem to have solved this problem.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: Dandontdare on 16 February, 2023, 10:25:36 PMWe've been logging these issues but are any of them actually getting fixed? I still can't log in on my phone or work computer ("your session timed out while posting").

any news or advice on this? Can currently only log in on one of my three usual devices

Colin YNWA

Ohhhh the issue with the site not working on my home network might be over. I've been able to login on my tablet tonight - fingers crossed.

Now all I have to whine about is the lack of spoiler tags.

Funt Solo

I wonder if you could cheat a little and just make the text the background color so people can't see it unless they highlight it?

That's a bit like a spoiler. I'm not sure the background is always a predictable color, though. Sometimes, it's a desaturated yellow for the most recent post.

QuoteMaybe, if the quote box has a standard color, you could hide stuff in there.

Ultimately, whoever the web guy is - if they can get him back for another job shadow - they could install something that makes the spoiler tags work again from here: https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?action=mods;search=Spoiler
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Or - you could make your spoiler text difficult to read by tagging the f*ck out of it.

What about spoiler text that's hidden as a fake URL?

If you right-click and Inspect this image, you'll see I hid a secret message in the alt code:
"Vovek sent me"
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

WebAdmin

Hi Guys,

Have you tried "Recent Posts" as a replacement for Active Topic ?

We have found an issue related to old accounts being banned because of "forever" cookies.

This has been addressed by changing cookie. What might have been happening is that that old forever cookie was encrypted using old tech and during website access it would trigger "failed logins" and account ban at the end.

Hopefully this will resolve that issue.

Cheers

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: WebAdmin on 13 April, 2023, 08:56:56 AMHi Guys,

Have you tried "Recent Posts" as a replacement for Active Topic ?

Yes. It's nowhere near as good.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Richard

I've forgotten exactly what the difference was, but they are not the same, and Active Topics was much more useful.