Main Menu

voting coupons

Started by O Lucky Stevie!, 11 October, 2001, 07:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Lucky Stevie!

thanks for the password, wake!

anyway, without wishing to sound a goose, a quick enquiry regarding the casting my votes in the prog zone: i do have to press submit vote for each individual thrill, don't i?

cheers,

steven
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Wake

Yes, voting is done on a 'by story' basis. This means that if you vote for the same story several weeks running, only your most recent vote will count.

I'm sorry that you can't dial up a batch of votes and submit them all in one go...to make this possible I'd have to make a major redesign to the scripts.

O Lucky Stevie!

thanks! so this systems registers your opinion regarding each thrill in it's entirety, as opposed to your opinions of the story on an episode by episode basis? (which may change over the course of the storyline, such as the second series of mercy heights which in my opinion started off rather strong but went all pearshaped with john tomlinson bursting my suspension of disbelief with his apparent misunderstanding of the relativistic nature of black hole event horizons. yes, it's only a story, but it seemed so jarringly, unnecessarily wrong that it spoilt my enjoyment of that episode. won't dare go into how the series ended, or my thoughts on tor cyan here. lreally enjoyed armoured gideon by the way, & not just because it brought back shako. bloomin' loved that bear as a kid, i did).

steven

TEXTurE bombPOP!
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Wake

The unit of measurement is a set of episodes which appear in contiguous magazines. For example, Mercy Height is split up as follows:

Mercy Heights 15 episodes (Progs 1033 to 1047) 91 pages
Script: John Tomlinson, Artist: Various
Featuring: Tor Cyan
Art by Walker/Sullivan/Currie

Dead of Winter 1 episode (Prog 1124) 10 pages
Script: John Tomlinson, Artist: Googe, N

Mercy Heights Book 2 Part 1 5 episodes (Progs 1133 to 1137) 30 pages
Script: John Tomlinson, Artist: Trevor Hairsine

Mercy Heights Book 2 Part 2 10 episodes (Progs 1139 to 1148) 61 pages
Script: John Tomlinson, Artist: Various
Art by Lee Sullivan (6-10)

Because it didn't appear in prog 1138, Book 2 has two entries in the database and therefore you can record 2 separate votes, whereas book 1 was printed in a single run and therefore can only be voted on once.

I did consider making a new entry every time one of the creators changed but that would have been a nightmare on those stories which have a different artist every week or two artists alternating.

I also considered not spliting stories at all, but then I would have had to code which progs each story skipped to avoid it showing up on the wrong prog profiles.

One day, when I have time, I'll deal with the 'various' entries in the credits in a similar way to the costars.

Wake

O Lucky Stevie!

thanks for explaining, wake.

anything which helps tharg understand us earthlets' opinions of his thrills is greatly appreciated now that the voting coupons have gone the way of ro-jaws' place in the abc warriors (my only grizzle with mills' mighty return to form) is greatly appreciated. & coming from a library background (but hey! so do stephen pastel, microsleep arkhestra & the seraphic voiced merida sussex from the paradise motel) i understand the quandaries that you must have wrassled with when creating this system.

keep up the good work, or it'll be...BIG JOBS! (hur hur)

steven

TEXTurE bombPOP!

Dominic O'Rourke

Wake if you spent as much time on the scripts as you do on your replys we could get this thing off the ground ;)
Member No. 10

pauljholden

What about a vote on the overall quality of a prog? (or, an automatic score for the prog calculated by adding the scores for each story? - although if the votes for the story change that would also change the overall mark... hmm)

Still, looking good, can't wait for the redesign. ;)

- mrcomicus