Main Menu

Matrix vs Equilibrium

Started by NikolaiDante, 14 October, 2003, 08:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikolaiDante

I just watched Equilibrium and personally I think the Gun Kata scenes wipe the floor with the fight scenes from the Matrix (and Reloaded).

IMHO, the Gun Kata fights look REAL, ie well choerographed but done by humans but the Matrix scenes DO look CGI'ed.

Comments anyone?

Dante the Marital Arts Expert
Support FUTUREQUAKE - it makes sense

Mangamax

Anyone else had a go?
Pretty simple stuff, looking down on a building with you guiding Dredd around and blasting zombies.
Just start getting into it when the level ends and i'm told i have to pay from now on.
Don't like it that much
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Krustabi

I hate both. Too much martial arts in movies. Bring back space battles

paulvonscott

I enjoyed Equilibrium in a 'beer in front of the tv' way.  I'd like to see more minor SF films like this than biggies like the matrix.  Apart from dressing cool and having fights, the story and background is more interesting than Matrix 2.

Mudcrab

I agree. Never too keen on martial arts stuff past the usual liking of Enter the Dragon.

Hated and walked out half way through Crouching Beaver Hidden Gerbil, it was extremely boring.

Watched it again just in case on DVD. Still the same, although the sword fight itself was pretty good, but not as good as a few games of Soul Caliber 2 I had the other night, know what I mean?

Anyway, yes, big space battles, it's what we want.

Saying that, I liked both films, with slight cringes now and again.

Also see Kill Kill Bill thread :o)
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

simon

equillibrium was 1984 with'rufty-tufty'....nit great and not bad either

simon d

Queen Firey-Bou

i just watched equilibrium & was shocked at what a shoddy pastishe on so many other filums it was. farenheight wotsit, 1984, etc etce tec. however it was just not slikly done like matrix, plot & character full of holes. dud acting. however, it was enjoyable in a sorto way.

I like martial arts films, i like the choreography, i like cgi effects, But i prefer real action fighting. real stunts. So i LOVED the gun fighting/dancing in equilibrum. does anyone know if there is actually a martial art form like they were doing with the guns? i mean i know tai chi could be used for a lot of the defensive moves but..?

but...oh, the thing with the puppy ?! pulease? spare me.

opaque

I think if Matrix Reloaded had had the fight scenes of Equilibrium it would have been miles better for it.
CGI is one thing but blatently done CGI did Matrix no favours.
Equilbrium looked just more realistic.

Slippery PD

Theres a form of martial arts from Brazil called Cariopea (or something) that combines dance and karate styles

Yer Slips

Mk13

Capoiera - a fighting style created by South American peasants to look like dancing so that they could learn how to kick seven shades of tar out of people without getting shot for seditionary learning of chop-socky.

Similar reasons to why a lot of weapons-based Far Eastern martial arts use versions of agricultural implements - rice flails, long sticks, etc.

Aslo, capoiera is what those two guys on the platform are doing on one of those BBC 1 station idents.

zep

how can you possibly compare the matrix to equilibrium. equ... is shite. one of the worst films i've seen. boring, recycled crap. matrix however...

Bony Fella

I'm confused.... how can anyone LIKE Equilibrium.... I know this is an old topic, but.... Geez! It had an ok idea behind it, but it was terribly, terribly executed!! It was boring and nonsensical. They didn't define what emotions were supposed to be suppressed, as we saw loads of things that were arguably emotions....  Also the main character just didn't seem to BECOME emotional, he just stayed the same! The fighting was the saving grace as it looked superb.... but it was actually complete bull, totally impossible and really crazy. Total nonsense.... The fights were maybe better than Reloaded, but The Matrix wasn't composed of CGI fights!!! It was all genuine fight stuff..... anyhoo, I'll be quiet now!!!

Smiley

I liked Equilibrium a lot, the only thing that put me off was the lack of an obvious soundtrack by Queen.

opaque

>but The Matrix wasn't composed of CGI fights!!! It was all genuine fight stuff.