Main Menu

Is George Lucas Up His Own Arse?

Started by NikolaiDante, 11 November, 2003, 07:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARRISARRIS

I only really really got into Star Wars at about the time he re;releashed and rehased the originals. This was cool as far as i was concerned, they are his movies so if he wanted to tinker with them fair enough, but sadly he didnt actually better any of the now ropey special effects, eg that monster thing in Jedi, etc etc.
Then it got exciting because he was gonig to make the first 3 he always intended to, however he missed the point, to much politics and to far removed from the Star Wars we know.
Darth should have been in Ep 1 but maybe of 10 years before, Storm Troopers everywhere killing Jedi and all that kind of stuff with the result of a new Dark Age, which is what we see in 1, 2, 3.
We certainly didnt need an explanation of how the force works (bloodiy clorimidians or summit)
Another big problem is the big time gaps between 1, 2, 3. Thee origanals are set very closely together.
There are lots of other faults but these are the main ones that annoy me.
He also says no to 7, 8, and 9.
Mark my words he will and has to do it.
Jedi isnt an end. Just because the Emperor and Darth are dead doesnt mean everything goes back to the cosy way it was befoere. Theres alot of troops and hardware ou there.
The beauty of the final 3 when he does them is we have no idea where it will go. Its an open canvass, much better than pre-sequals.
Saying that hell probably still dig deeper into his own arse and come out of his nose.

Mr C

If any new Star Wars movies are made, I really wouldn't like Lucas to have an active involvement with them. The Star Wars universe has moved on with books comics and games into greater and richer detail than that seen in the original movies, The capital planet, Coruscant is a good example of this (even though it's an Foundation Rip-off). His creation has effectively risen above his own abillities as a sci-fi writer, which he wasn't really in the first place.
Anyway, it would be a mistake to make sequels to the original trilogy, perhaps more so than the decision to make prequels.

stront692

i too would much rather see the final trilogy than the prequels

i think he said in a personal interview that he put the midi chlorians bcos he wants kids to have a religious belief (which is fair enough as at least their minds will be open to the idea now)

we want the final trilogy (although it has actually been heavily documented in the books)

paulvonscott

Well, I remember when Jedi had run it's course, star wars figures in the bargain bins, the merchandising really fell off.  

He'll have to put out SOMETHING every few years, whether thats cartoon, TV shows or movies to keep the plate spinning going.

Unless he feels he's made enough money.

Personally I would have liked to have seen:

Episode 1.  It's called Clone Wars!  Have a young teenage Darth, like when we saw Luke for the first time, have him as a great pilot (already using the force to do impossible things), all set just as the clone wars are beginning.  Have him think he couldn't do much good on his own...

Fate drags him into a meeting with a Jedi named Obiwan who sees what great strength he has within him, and shows him how to use the rest of his powers, he's a natural, even though Ben K-nows-he-be  too old.  Show what a great guy Annakin was and introduce some darker edges and signs of what's to come.  His meeting with a beatiful princess whom he falls in love with, by the way did I mention her amusing robots?  We see the full glory of the Jedi, not some idiots in a toom.  No stupid virgin birth or explanations for the force or Jar Jar binks you silly sod George.

Episode 2, full on Clone Wars action, his fiery love affair with princess 'whoever' which ends badly, perhaps over a misunderstanding with one of those Corellians, his battle against the dark side as he chooses to always do things the easy and quick way.  

His eventual falling entirely to the dark side as the hate takes over as he battles against ObiWan over mount doom, which leaves him practically dead what with the lava and the burning, he is rescued by the emperor's men and the film ends with him donning the mask of darth vadar.

Kwoooh-Khooooo.  Scared?  You will be...

Episode 3, the galaxy wide extermination of the Jedi by Darth Vadar and the Emperor.  Jedi's and Sith, waving lightsabres, jedi's falling beneath hundreds of Storm Troopers, dragged out of homes, nailed to trees, informed upon, feared and despised, oh woe is me it's a jedi apocalypse.  

The fleeing of Yoda and Ben, the scattering of the children being most of the plot.  Ends with  the Emperor cackling, with darth at his side and "saying a new age has begun, the jedi are dead, and I rule this galaxy now... hmm... what i really need is some sort of death star, what do you think Darth?  Not Keen?  Well, I'm emperor mate, get me the trade federation yellow pages"  

Cue credits, get on with IV-VI, restored, but not re-edited.  

Keep it simple, keep it fun, swasbuckling adventure, doomed romance, spills, thrills, the battle against evil.

I mean, it doesn't sound that hard.  So far We've had Episode One - Trade Wars, Episode Two - Moody Teenager and upcoming Episode Three - Oh I see that's how it happens, okay, I guess.

judge dreddd

i used to like star wars and bits are still kewl but i think its a loada tosh for kids

coz

i grew up

Art

Of course, you know who you sound like there...

paulvonscott

Heh, maybe, but I havn't taken my version that seriously, written a script that will never be made or sent it to George, or challenged him.

What I'm saying is, that is what I expected to see, more or less, and there is none of what I enjoyed about IV-VI in these new ones.

All I can do is see how awful the third one is now.  I reckon it'll be a doozy, I genuinely believe there will be some nice fights and an absolute stinker of a movie.  They are getting worse :)

Oh and I agree it's all tosh for kids, but I kind of hoped it would be enjoyable tosh for kids.

Incidentally another thing is, that due to the realtively lo-fi effects of the first one, ie. when you saw something it was real, Star Wars seemed to be set in a real world.  Now it's just a computer game.

stront692

which moves me swiftly on to why do they go backwards in terms of technology creating walkers that have an achilles heel (legs), when they have ships like the sail barges in return of jedi in episodes 1 to 3

also there is no coverage of the clone wars whatsoever in 1 to 3 so either hes trying to make u buy the crap computer game instead or we may get yet another trilogy

yaaaaay STAR WARS the clone wars parts 1 to 3

but i still want to see the final episodes 7 to 9 first really

Oddboy

Heh... it *is* enjoyable tosh for kids if you're a kid!

*sigh* last summer I enjoyed watching Oddgirl's older sister holding up her nephew (son of their other sister - it's a big family) by his feet until he relented and agreed that Episode IV was the best, not Episode II.
However, he was perfectly happy to be dangling by his legs it seems, as he still reckoned AotC was better.

Kids, what do they know?
Better set your phaser to stun.