Main Menu

Is George Lucas Up His Own Arse?

Started by NikolaiDante, 11 November, 2003, 07:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikolaiDante

I was rooting around on the web and found this :

George Lucas has said that he wants to release the Star Wars DVDs in their story/episode order (as in Episode I, then Episode II, then Episode III, etc.), starting with Episode I on October 16, 2001.  Since Episode III is slated for theatrical release in 2005, and its DVD release is likely to follow in late 2005 or early 2006.  We figure it won't be until at least 2006 when Episodes IV through VI will be released, since George Lucas wants to personally work on these DVDs.

Now is it me or is GL just irritating the f**k out of everyone by refusing to release Episodes IV - VI on DVD? Why aren't they? The above reason sounds like "..well they're my films and I'll do as I please..." and "...personally work on these DVDs..." oh please as if the hand of Lucas is going to make any difference now....

I'd love to show my son Star Wars but my video copies are getting a bit ropey and I'm loathed to spoil the films...

Grrrrr.

Dante The Bloody Annoyed

Support FUTUREQUAKE - it makes sense

BlackThrash

4-6 are on dvd...maybe they are deleted for a while or something I dont know...
if you like I could sort out some dvd-r's for you

Dudley

paulvonscott

Logically, he has to do that though.  I don't think he's doing it to be annoying.

He is working on Episode III which is taking all of his time and energies.  THEN, he has to go through IV-VI abd re-re-edit them to tie in with them.  He has to do it that way if he's giving full commitment to them.

It all makes perfect sense from the production standpoint.

From a commercial viewpoint I'm surprised he doesn't release a version of what's already there first (perhaps version one and re-edit of both episodes in a box saying it's the last time they'll be available like before), then the new versions and sell the stuff twice again.

Whether he's up his own arse?

I'd say... yeah.

BlackThrash

but he;s already done that once...the originals were eradicated by the special editions and as you say he may re-do them AGAIN!

Agrivar

George Lucas is a money hungry wanker. Never has man gone from being so loved to so hated in the history of anything. Do you know you have to pay to register on the official star wars site. 'Star wars was always intended to be six films.'

MY ARSE!!!!!!!!!

the first two out of the three episodes so far have had no recognisable or nessasary storyline, no charactes worth pissing on and no redeemable value. All they have achieved is degrading what were three classic films and turning the whole Star Wars mythos into a bleeding cash cow.

He should be ashamed of himself.

And you wait and see the bastard will release the first three on dvd, then a box set of the first three before realasing the others then a box set of all six and so on till someone shoots him in the head and puts us all out of our misery.

BlackThrash

paulvonscott

There's no may about it, he's adding new material to the special editions to link the thematically with the others.  That includes all sorts of stuff from theme music, what's going on in the background and other information we may pick up.  Basically he's weaving a star wars whicker basket on Skywalker Ranch.

Really I don't think he's up his own arse as such, just completelt absorbed in star wars to a dgeree we cannot possibly comprehend.

The Amstor Computer

" just completelt absorbed in star wars to a dgeree we cannot possibly comprehend."

...and, IMO, to the point where he seems to have completely lost what made the first two - and part of the third - movies so enjoyable.

Anyway - to the best of my knowledge, episodes IV, V and VI have *never* been released on DVD. They were released on one of the optical disc formats (laserdisc?) but neither the original versions or the bowdlerized "special editions" were released on DVD. IIRC, the "special editions" are now the "official" Star Wars canon, and the originals are unlikely to see a re-release in any format.

Floyd-the-k

He`s countless kilometres up it.  Just give up Star Wars and move on.  Your son deserves better

stront692

IMO hes just milking the franchises he has to stop his positio in the market being eroded any further - hed like to be a disney type figure but i think hes fixated on the size of disney now (which is just a big faceless corporation) so he keeps grwowing ILM and LUCASFILM
i think he owns THX standard so doesnt that mean he gets money off every film made (as they use his standard for the sound) but hes definitely run out of ideas

he has tried to copy STAR TREK (he nicked the name for STAR WARS to apeal to that community) by starving the community for years and just feedng fans bits of rumours, although that happenned by accident and roddenberry was constantly trying to get the films on the whole time, the difference is lucas has annoyed everyone by NOT coming good on statements and just overseeing licensing comics and ooks to other writers

now he has bit the bullet and admitted that to grow the franchise he will have to produce something new, in doing so he gets the double the licences and has made a killing (which should pay for all the money he lost when the dot.com bubble burst, hes just feeling insecure at the min and securing his position again)

the problem is he allowed the STAR WARS fanbase to get too generalised before splittin it into two (like STAR TREK did with NG) and when the NG TV series came out it quickly gained a foothold as it was a weekly thing on tv so a lot of the older fans were drowned by the new user base that picked up support quickly

there will always be those that hold the original series as cannon, those that 'tolerate' the new, those that 'love' anything to do with it and those that only like the new - the problem hes got is that he has no tv presence to grow his fanbase fast and a lot of  the original fans were kids because he aimed the movies at them so hes got to wait a long time till they 'die' out so he has to rehash each movie now to try and appeal to the people hes annoyed having split the fanbase in two

STAR TREK has a hardcore fanbase of 35,000 in this country although actually fans are in the 2 million region but thats the people that buy everyhting and devote their live to it and stuff (original STAR TREK is now starting to die out)

STAR WARS down to about 8,000 before the new movie but actual fans are in the 1 million mark with about 8 million casual fans (that would be me, probably) - even though star wars has more fans there are less hardcore so hes getting a diminishing return from licensing and his value halved with the internet stock crashed, that has jumped back up now but there is a marked increase on sales of items related to the original movies as the old fans have come back

he has got to make that fanbase at least convert at least partially to the new trilogy so hes holding back the original movies and redoing them to appeal to kids who are now a lot more savvy, but hes annoying the original fanbase in the process and they are growing

i think he needs a tv series myself and would to see 'tales of the jedi' every week on tv, that would be cool - as he has farmed a lot of the writing out to ohter people and diluted the original but this has created a lot of background material in a very short period of time, i dont think it will happen but well see

the reason why hes announced that there will not be a final trilogy now is because no 'franchise' has grown after the second split - DS9 was ot a succes from the first 3 seasons and they had to radically revamp the writing styles with continous plot threads before it was, VOYAGER was a dismal failure in its first season but grew on people and is now liked by 'mainstream' star trek fans as its esy to get into, ENTERPRISE has been quite successful but PARAMOUNT has announce that continously growing the 'franchise' has become a drain and if the next movie does not make more than xxx amount they will be folding the whole thing down (i think its ?1 billion dollars but cant remember now)

so well just have to wait and see wont we
is he up his own arse - hes got a big opinion of himself but its all cynically done

stront692

Redlantern 2051

I'd have to say that episode 1 was one of the crappest films I've seen in a long while, very very dissapointing, episode 2 was about 6.5/10 which is probably being generous. I know George Lucas could spend the rest of his life counting his billions but as a film-maker he's crap now. and his stories are really weak and predictable these days. I just hope he doesn't make Indiana Jones 4 as crap as the new Star Wars films...we'll see

James

Up his own arse?

I'd say pretty much inside out by now.

Woolly

He has been seduced by the dark side.

And has a wierd chin/neck hybrid. (Though he cunningly tries to disguise this by cutting his beard to the point where he would LIKE his chin to be!)

Star Wars is dead.

Jared Katooie

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

(seriously it's a biggie)

M

O

R

E

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

And y'know how everyone loved Christopher Lee as Tyranus? Well brilliantly he's going to be killed off early on in episode three.