Main Menu

Killfile.

Started by Matt Timson, 06 February, 2004, 05:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queen Firey-Bou

well i have to say, thats the first time ive ever ever seen DD get cross with anyone. luckily i can 't see why, or i'd have another warp spasm.

in my village we have 3 pubs, one is fairly empty cos of dress code, no swearing code etc, no-one is comfortable there.

the other two are fairly empty because fights break out & the regulars are nob-end pub-trolls, so what do you do, walk out the door & never go there? or somebody deal with it?
i tried one night, to split up a fight which at that point had local bloke smashing knife-psychos head off floor, in the lounge, in front of kids... the bar man stood quietly behind the bar doing nothing, my blows were useless, a bucket of cold water would have been better, so i left em to it & phoned police, it then turned into a 3 hour (wait for police) knife seige situation...

thats that pub lost another many customers for ever... moral of story, why the hell didnt the barman, stop serving the drinks to psycho, stop local meathead winding up psycho, take charge , phone cops sooner...

moral of story, if you always walk away , you run out of places to go.

rc

Very true - which hints to me that this board could be a haven for folk unable to express themselves elsewhere, hence the almost hysterical retorts to some posts they do not like.

The comparison with the internet to real-life violent situations is a bit harsh, though.

Although having said that, aforementioned `peeps` may well feel like 'knife-psycho' equivalent antics are occurring here, such is their relentless requirement for their idea of "law-and-order" within this website...

Dunk!

RC doesn't have a knife, he has words.

He's not threatening to kill anyone.

He can't harm you physically.

Nothing's being harmed here except egos (And i don't mean that to imply people are full of themselves, just egos; Pride etc.)

You can walk away. Don't leave the pub. Just go out of hearing distance (or reading distance).

Fight for what's worth it and when there's no chance peaceful solution

Is this it?

(This message also doesn't mean i support RC in anyway more than any other boarder - thought I'd head that one off at the pass)
"Trust we"

Sleekdog

i think the kilfile idea is used as a bit of a petty weapon

abusive boarders should be dealt with by losing their membership,, but as far as i can see rc does not use abuse to argue with.

other boarders seem to have abused him, however.

Dudley

I think that's the problem in one, Sleekdog.  Abusive boarders are actually quite easy to deal with via the killfile.  

Wind-up merchants who insist on having the last word always seem reasonable until their posts have built up to such an extent that they've alienated almost everybody.

rc

One man's wind-up merchant insisting on having the last word is another man's perfectly reasonable chap not letting the stiffies in here shout him down because they think they own the site.

Something Fishy

Wow RC.. you've defined me in a nutshell.  well done.

Matt Timson

"i think the kilfile idea is used as a bit of a petty weapon"

Petty?  I've used it once in two years and didn't even like doing that.

Either way, it's not nearly as petty as signing in with multiple identities to prolong an argument clearly already lost, 'Sleekdog'.

Actually, I think that 'sad' makes a better adjective in this case.
Pffft...

rc

Doh, are you STILL moaning?

I think when Sleek used the word petty he/she mabye meant "literally" [right, Floyd? ;)], i.e. an inessential act by a narrow-minded, mean, or small-natured disposition or character - not its frequency of use.

Or so it says here, anyway.

stront692

i try and do my level best to reply to every thread, i dont have much time on my hands at the minute but i dont like it when u put a thread up and no one replies

i try and give my decent and honest opinion, but as i reply to more threads and more of my opinions are out there i have no doubt i am more likely to offend people with an opinion than others (but i have a healthy sense of humour so)

i also think its important that my opinions regarding 2000ad are recorded bcos

a) i never used to send that little 5 vote token when they had it (one of my mates used to buy 2 copies so he could cut one out and i think they did base opinions on the results of these) - which some of my favourites the creators never knew i liked them

b) i dont have time to write a letter

i am unsure as to whether anyone from 2000ad listens to anything that goes on here, i doubt it

i like talking off topic about other comics and things non2000ad as well

rc

Keep up the good work, Stront.

(I think the boses of 2000AD would be daft not to pay at least a passing interest in the views of the members of this site - it's not the full readership, but it is a dedicated bunch of people willing to talk day after day about their comic.)

And keep that sense of humour healthy!

stront692

is this why your replies always take threads off-topic??

thinky

Tulkas - i don't think we've ever conversed, but that's 2 posts in a row where i agree entirely with what you're saying, so i'm using this as a jump-on point to give me 2 cents worth

i am so bored by all this mindless rubbish. If rc is attempting to wind everyone up, then he's won. well done. But he may not be - some people do have strong opinions and want to fight their corner. i'm not for or against him, just bored by what's going on at the moment.

there are obviously a few raw nerves being rattle by the possible appearence of the-one-who-must-not-be-named, and i remember the cool reception i got when first coming on because (i later found out) people thought i was him (although in retrospect, a username like 'youthinkthisisntme?' might raise eyebrows)

anyway, the 'establishment' are very protective of the board, and this sometimes manifests itself into what appears to be a 'it's my ball' situation. I respect the opinions of Logon, PVS, The Watcher etc (as 3 examples), but don't feel that i have to agree all the time or reply with posts virtually high-fiving their comments. I simply read, post once in a while, try to have a laugh, and attempt to reconcile my (allegedly) geeky passion by sharing my thoughts with others of the same ilk

rc - if you are winding people up, it's worked. i won't be killfiling you (or anyone), i just won't reply if i don't want to

everyone else affected by this... you're just as responsible for making this board unaccessible and lacking in interest as rc

please everyone, move on and keep it focussed

btw, i don't mind swearing in the 'f*ck me, what was that on Celebrity last night' kind of way, but do object to people - however objectionable - being called a w*nker

i'm leaving the board for a while, because it's boring and people (plural) are just being petter

(much) laters

thinky
you think this isn't me? that's so sweet...
//http://www.adverseCamber.co.uk

thinky

and people (plural) are just being petter

that should of course (before Floyd jumps in) read 'petty'

thinker
you think this isn't me? that's so sweet...
//http://www.adverseCamber.co.uk

Slippery PD

Actually, Im probably part of the establishment (although Im not quite sure what that means) and I too grow tired of this.  So Thinky hold the door for me.  If rc is on the windup as Thinky has suggested, hes managed to wind up two of the nicest people Ive met on this board (Jared and Devons Daddy); so I take it hes succeeded.  We seem to have been dragged down to that level now.

Unfortunately this site has gone down hill recently, probably due to the lack of posting on topic (yes Im probably as guilty as others) and possibly going as far back as the Big Brother threads, which in retrospect were a very bad idea.  

Im going to be away from the site for a while, Im on a training course all next week, so Ill probably not post too much.  Ill skim read when I have time and see how its going, but there is and has been too much flak going on here and that makes it a less enjoyable place to be. I to do not use kill-files (one exception and we know who he is)

Please try and keep on topic, please try not to be antagonised and Ill pass you over to rc, who'll want the last word (probably about how hes standing up to us all and la la la de da zzzzzzz) ......  

Sorry fell asleep there.

Yer Slips

PS - youll have to wait for my return to get the Boarders Awards, though my enthusiasm for that has waned to.