Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milstar

Tomb Raider

A little bit of pre-story. I never was a die-hard Tomb Raider fan, but I had some TR games that kept me occupied for weeks. A female version of Indiana Jones with the touch of John Woo movies. Mind racking puzzles, exotic settings, and staring at Lara's posterior when she crawls.
Anyway, this movie (I am talking about the 2018 film) was something that I didn't expect much, considering that filmmakers took basis from the 2013 video game reboot, which even then I took as a disappointment. So this film had no real surprises. And Angelina Joe TR movies are yes, cheesy, ludicrous; yet, far cry better than this film.
The story is boring and full of tropes that toddlers have learned by now, dialogues are awful and Lara herself as the character is bland, flat and I find the actress (Alicia Vikander's acting hackneyed. Oh and I don't find her sexy at all. And Walton Goggins plays a baddie - again. The whole father/daughter subplot is totally unnecessary.  And where are Lara's signature dual pistols? Where are good puzzle-solving techniques? Although I have to give credit to Alicia for the feat of having to perform a slew of grueling physical tasks (her and her stunt double) in a number of rather well-crafted and well-shot action sequences. Furthermore, this Lara gets beaten up and roughen up often, which is fine by me, as I have a "fetish" for the sadistic treatment of my heroes (albeit this beats the supposed realism of the movie; I mean, climbing slippery rock surfaces with an open stab wound?). In the end, no matter all shortcomings, this Tomb Raider film isn't a total dud.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

pictsy

The last Tomb Raider film is one of those films I intend to watch but never get around to.  It looked to me to be a film more based on the reboot game.  That doesn't really mean much to me because I know little about the games.

I might eventually watch it because I kinda want to compare it with the earlier films.

milstar

Quote from: pictsy on 09 May, 2021, 12:26:42 PM
  It looked to me to be a film more based on the reboot game. 

Indeed it is.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 09 May, 2021, 07:32:24 AM

I think it's the tone of the thing that lacked appeal for me. If it had been a black comedy I might have enjoyed it more but, as it is, I found it childish and simplistic. Even the classy actors involved couldn't save it - Tilda Swinton just looked and spoke like a character out of Wallace and Gromit.

It's like the makers got stoned one night and somebody said, "hey man - ffffffffft - have you ever thought, like, how society's like a really long train? Fffffft."

They've made a tv show out of it? That's... incredible.

Well, you're absolutely right about the daftness of the premise (apart from anything else, how are the tracks maintained?), but I must say I enjoyed it.

Found the series a bit harder to get into though. A bit too whodunnit for my tastes, give me a Spartacus-style underclass uprising any day.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

paddykafka

Well, you're absolutely right about the daftness of the premise (apart from anything else, how are the tracks maintained?)
[/quote]

By this guy, of course.   :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEZIh7lQ3dc

pictsy

Quote from: paddykafka on 09 May, 2021, 08:52:38 PM

Well, you're absolutely right about the daftness of the premise (apart from anything else, how are the tracks maintained?)

By this guy, of course.   :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEZIh7lQ3dc
[/quote]

Nice.   :D

TordelBack

Tamara Drewe. It warms my heart to think of the last of the Holy Trinity of British Writer-Artists* finally getting a nice big cheque, but I'm not sure this otherwise-faithful adaptation gets to the heart of her work. In short, it's all the middle-class cosy of the drawings, and none of the edge of the writing, drifting away from Thomas Hardy and towards Richard Curtis. 

Gorgeous cast, and some terrific performances (Tamsin Grieg and Charlotte Christie in particular), and who could resist watching Roger Allam [spoiler]trampled by stampeding cattle[/spoiler]. Not bad as adaptations go, but not quite all there.

*Eddie Campbell and Raymond Briggs. Am I being very mean to Don Lawrence, Frank Hampson and Leo Baxendale? Probably, but the Sacred Six-Pack doesn't scan well.

CalHab

Tamsin Greig is great in that. I still chuckle over her delivery of the "thrush" line.

Dandontdare

Tamsin Grieg is great in everything. I had a very Tamsinesque lockdown in hindsight - rewatched Green Wing, Black Books, Episodes and Friday Night Dinner.

CalHab

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 May, 2021, 08:31:48 AM
*Eddie Campbell and Raymond Briggs. Am I being very mean to Don Lawrence, Frank Hampson and Leo Baxendale? Probably, but the Sacred Six-Pack doesn't scan well.

I'd add Bryan Talbot to that.

pictsy

Fern Gully

I like it.  Protect the rainforest.  Pollution is bad.  Fairies.  Guy finds an ecological conscience because of that very special feeling he felt between his legs.  Robin Williams is a bat, but is still Robin Williams regardless.  Decent enough songs.  Yeah, I like it.

TordelBack

Quote from: CalHab on 10 May, 2021, 01:37:47 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 10 May, 2021, 08:31:48 AM

I'd add Bryan Talbot to that.

Dammit!  One of my all-time faves and all!  Paul Grist deserves a slot too.

milstar

milstar

Kes

Well, finding flaws in this movie would sound like a trolling example to me. And while not perfect, the film is absolutely brilliant and works as both as a warm coming-of-age story (with tragic overtones) and as bitter social commentary in observing the tough brutal realities of growing up in Yorkshire in the 1960s. Well, okay, Yorkie's accent is somewhat off-putting and if I could really get picky, I'd point at three more minor things. Judd's character could be a little less heartless than the nasty sod brother he is. And while the movie is pretty much on Billy and the world around him, it misses the chance to give as some sort of perspective on how he sees things from his head. We only do know that he's interested in falconry, but what about his life? Does he love his mom and brother? What does he think about the school? And the life after school? As far as it goes, Billy was shown as quite indignant of these real-life issues. Even the prospect of a job is somewhat lax on him (although he's shown to have clear animosity toward working in the mines). And I find his buttock naked scenes, while unobjectifying, as totally unnecessary. Briefly, we get to see how the school principal sees his pupils. This I can relate to from my school days (though I haven't my teachers who whipped the hands of their students, compared to my mom, let's say, and only for getting your hands filthy). That's why I am glad that things changed for the better in meantime. I'm also glad I wasn't growing up in Yorkshire in the 1960s. All in all, a thoughtful and honest film, with brilliant acting all around, especially from the young Billy.