Main Menu

Incident on Mayger Minor vs. Portrait of a Mutant - Bolt-01 Cup - Group 2 Game 5

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 September, 2021, 06:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Final matches here and there's a biggie, this one will decide who wins the group and gets an 'easier' tie in the Quarters. Both these thrill won their opening ties. All that seperates them is votes difference which currently favours Portrait, which surely goes into this tie as favourite?

All you need to worry about which is your favourite between:

Incident on Mayger Minor - more info

Vs

Portrait of a Mutant - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite of these two stories at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday 1st October and the winner (I'll count up who gets the most votes basically) gets 3 points towards qualifying... huh...

... there's a spreadsheet to make following easier... if you fancy. If not, don't worry just VOTE!!!!

I've tried to explain the finals here.

What on Earth is ALL of this?

Why on Tharg's Earth head are we doing this?

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

Oh and my 'More info' links... well I don't say how much more and they get pretty wonky at times!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Rogue Judge

Ohh this is difficult...Portrait is Alpha's definitive origin but Incident is the perfect Stront story...I can't decide in this moment, maybe I'll see what arguments/comments are presented and then vote.

Barrington Boots

I'm still going for Incident on Mayger Minor.
I wrote earlier in the competition about how good it is, and as good as Portrait is, I'm a real sucker for the Bounty Hunt / Western setting of Stront rather than it's war story setting.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

AlexF

Incident is a tale I dearly, dearly love, but Portrait is just such a goldmine of emotional punches and worldbuilding glory and just sheer action-based excitement. Plus it helps that I had the first hlaf of that story in an old Monthly and had ot wait YEARS before finding the second-half of the story, so had a lot of pent up anticipation to disippate - and the ending DELIVERED. Gonna have to go with Portrait.

But, you know, these two could end up meeting again in the Final and maybe I'll vote differently on that day...

Leigh S

Incident is a superbly crafted WEstern, but you could easily slice off the sci-fi elements (which amount to being set on an alien planet and having frog mutants) and you would ahve a seviceable Eastwood movie.

That just can;t compete with Portrait of a Mutant, which retroactively sets up everything brilliant about the strip, giving Johnny a tragic backstory that explains his character, sets up his ultimate foe, the Mutant Generals (including McNulty), gives Alpha a "home" in the UK, such a refreshing move when generally such characters would be assumed to be American.....

It just does so much more than Incident, and does it without putting a foot wrong

sheridan

Portrait, because it featured a character from my hometown (no, I'm not going to say which hometown that is).

sheridan

p.s. that's not my real reason for picking it - feeding continuity, showing me the other half of the time loop I saw ended in Outlaw, introducing a tonne of characters, that bit at the end where the same faces turn from fascists to peacekeepers.  There's loads of reasons to love it.

Southstreeter

Quote from: Leigh S on 28 September, 2021, 05:57:58 PM
Incident is a superbly crafted WEstern, but you could easily slice off the sci-fi elements (which amount to being set on an alien planet and having frog mutants) and you would ahve a seviceable Eastwood movie.

I'm pretty sure the plot of Mayger Minor is a direct steal from Shane, so no question it's meant to be a western.

Southstreeter

I'm going for Portrait because it has the Torso from Newcastle in it.

Colin YNWA

Last day and the sparks have been flying here, but it seems to be going one way. It will be a mighty last day for this to change. I'll count up in the morning.

Barrington Boots - cover me I'm going for it...

For me this is near impossible. There are three thrills in this tourney that I absolutely, 100% love and two are here, the other is predictable. I love Portrait, love it. It takes the idea of an origin story and turns it into something so special. It also turns Strontium Dog into a first class Battle story... the thing is though Strontium Dog is at its best when its a western. And what thrill defines Johnny's tale in that genra more than the perfect Strontium Dog story, the story that takes the very essense of the thrill and presents it all in a few short pages. And on that basis

Incident on Mayger Minor

Rogue Judge

The Western elements of Strontium Dog are my favorite, which makes me want to vote Incident, and I agree that Incident is the perfect Western...

Great arguments were made for Portrait of a Mutant and I have to agree. It's an origin story but so much more! When I was first getting into Strontium Dog (via the SD files), reading Portrait escalated my appreciation of the series exponentially. It makes the reader truly care about Johnny & co. and sympathize with his Mutant cause moving forward.

When I'm in the mood for a Western I'd probably vote differently, reckon.