Main Menu

Lack of love for the bundled "floppies"?

Started by sheldipez, 18 December, 2012, 12:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: Professor Bear on 14 January, 2018, 11:18:27 PM
Might it just be a collection of various text stories or articles from annuals and specials?

Now that might not be such a bad idea, you know.  Some of the stuff that has been printed over the years does have some interesting little gems.  I wouldn't object to an edition reprinting some of the intro's from Titan's Dredd reprints.  IIRC the various Apocalypse War volumes have always had slightly different versions that add a little more insight each time.  Better than having seven different versions on our shelves.  (shuffles away guiltily)   ::)

sheridan

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 15 January, 2018, 09:00:44 AM
Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 14 January, 2018, 10:27:35 PM
The floppy for Meg 395 is apparently going to be a "Nemesis the Warlock monograph", though it isn't clear from the solicitation whether it will be 64 pages of just that or whether it will be backed up with something else - https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01/13/rebellion-april-2018-solicits/

I'm guessing there are no buyers of the Ultimate collection here...? The text piece in the back of the Nemesis books open 'taken from Rebellion's forthcoming Nemesis the Warlock: A monograph'.

Unfortunately not - I've got the original progs, the Eagle reprint, selected 'Best of 2000AD monthly' reprints, Titan reprints, the black and silver Titan reprint and couldn't really justify getting it all again, just for the few pages of support material - it was tempting though.  I had noticed the mention of the monograph on the Bleeding Cool page though - really looking forward to it - I think of Nemesis Book III as being the story that got me properly in to 2000AD (even though it didn't start until a month or two until I started buying the progs).

Link Prime

Quote from: sheridan on 15 January, 2018, 10:07:43 PM
I've got the original progs, the Eagle reprint, selected 'Best of 2000AD monthly' reprints, Titan reprints, the black and silver Titan reprint and couldn't really justify getting it all again

Not the kind of casual fan this forum normally attracts - buck up boyo!

I like the sound of this Nemesis 'monograph', not a bad idea for the floppy.

Tjm86

JayzusB.Christ

I was very happy with the Nemesis thing this month. More of this kind of thing, please, Tharg, instead of strips I've read already.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Magnetica

Really surprised to see a story like Block Judge turn up in a floppy. After all it is a top quality Wagner & Ezquerra Dredd and there has been no track record of the real A list stuff in the floppy.

Woolly

Quote from: Magnetica on 12 May, 2018, 05:24:27 PM
Really surprised to see a story like Block Judge turn up in a floppy. After all it is a top quality Wagner & Ezquerra Dredd and there has been no track record of the real A list stuff in the floppy.

Yeah, it's one hell of a treat this month.
I'm moving house at the moment, and as such have been packing loads of progs/megs/floppies - and by Grud, the sheer amount of *absolutely free* floppies is astounding! So many that I set aside for later and then forgot about, catching up is gonna be fun  :thumbsup:

Tharg is truly the most giving of benevolent, alien masters!

sheridan

Latest solicit for the Meg shows Mind Wars again - hope it gets printed this time (wonder if we'll ever find out why it kept getting promised previously?)

Tjm86

Bit of necroposting here but this month's meg got me thinking.  I mean, the controversy over reprints in the meg is almost as old as the meg itself.

I know that for some the floppies are useful for collecting together tooth strips that they might not otherwise get the chance to see but the one thing I do love about the floppies right now is that we are seeing more and more 'taster' issues.

This month's intro to a the character's from the Vigilant is a great opportunity to see some strips that haven't otherwise seen the light of day in decades and that perhaps might not appeal at first.  When you look as well at some of the text that is going into this stuff, I would say that there is a case to rethink them possibly.

Personally I would love to see more of the sort of stuff from Fleetway's back catalogue that might not be quite ready for a reprint, that might be a little controversial possibly or that does not exist in sufficient quantity to justify it being reprinted as a standalone volume.

I'd make a case for a selection of strips with some commentary on their origin, history or links to more modern strips.  Considering that this is happening to an increasing extent anyway, why not as a standalone volume every couple of months?  Mix it up with tooth strips that may (or may not ...) benefit from the floppy treatment?

So very month or two we end up with a Treasury of British Comics taster that promotes possible titles?

Richard

Well it's a better idea than reprinting Havn only three years later.

Bolt-01

Just speculating here, but it seems to me that the HAVN reprint is possibly due to the fact that it is the right length and the files are available during the apocalypse.

Reprinting some of the older material would require scanning, clean-up, possible lettering revisions and generally much more time than TMO can task a droid to spend currently.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 16 June, 2020, 09:11:32 AM
Reprinting some of the older material would require scanning, clean-up, possible lettering revisions and generally much more time than TMO can task a droid to spend currently.

Arh so what just for the health and safety of the Droids I'm meant to forego my older thrills is that it, is it. Stupid not wanting people to get ill...

...ahem... sorry... to put it another way...

Good point I hadn't thought of that...

did that early comment come across as a little entitled and uncaring...

... just a little maybe...???

Tjm86

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 16 June, 2020, 09:11:32 AM

That is something that crossed my mind to be honest.  This is thinking more longer term than the current situation which hopefully will peter out at some point.

Possibly one advantage of the floppy treatment is that it might be possible to go with a lower level of quality in terms of repro / touch up, shorter runs with commentary / analysis to fill out the volume.  it might help to get a sense of what might benefit from a major effort at some future date?

As I say, just spit-balling really.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

That's a very good point, regarding the impact of Covid-19, and perhaps in light of even the prospect of that, we should just cut them a lot of slack and be thankful we are getting regular thrills at all. I know I am.

In the wider issue of the floppies- now Rebellion have started using them to reprint strips from much deeper well of content, I'm ecstatic. The euro Battle strips, old uk strips- bring it all on. If we have to have the likes of HAVN once in a while, well, it stops me from having to dig out the mags when I fancy a reread. At this point I'm fully accustomed to living in what amounts to a comics version of that warehouse from the end of Raiders, so it makes no odds.
How many of these have we had anyway? And does anyone know what size bags/boards would fit them properly, if any? Alternatively, has anyone got info on a binder that would hold about twenty or so, enabling me to get them out of the way somehow- and readable when needed?

SBT

Citi-Def_Joe

I love the floppies, never had any issue with newer stuff being reprinted its a chance to re-read something i enjoyed previously or haven't read before, its very rare its something that is so recent i have no desire to re-read it or that i didn't like first time around.

That said the back catalogue with treasury of British Comics is vast so its great to see some of the old Battle strips.

My only requirement as with anything i read is, is it good quality? I have no interest in reading stuff just because its old or obscure.