Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

Quote from: paddykafka on 16 February, 2020, 11:47:54 AM
Quote from: repoman on 15 February, 2020, 07:55:50 AM
Ah man, I loved Moviedrome.  It's how I saw Trancers and Terminator.

Also, Cox directed my favourite ever film.  Repoman, obviously!

I'm also a huge fan of Repoman. Saw it five times when it was first released in the cinemas. I remember seeing a version of it on the telly some years later. I can't recall if it was on BBC or ITV, but the version shown was slightly dubbed, so that the words "Fuck" and "Mother-fucker" were, respectively, replaced with "Flip" and "Melon-Farmer".

Really wish that I had taped that particular version.  :D

Alex Cox also oversaw that redubbing.

Keef Monkey

Watched Spotlight which was great. Some fantastic performances in it, great writing, and it was a bit of an eye opener (yeah I knew the church were up to their knees in abuse cover-ups, but I had no idea how complicit the legal system was in assisting that). A heavy movie but a very good one.

On the other side of the spectrum we went to Birds of Prey (or Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey as the cinemas have been asked to rebrand it) and thought it was a hoot. Really fun and stylish, Ewan MacGregor was a great heel and the goodie team were all strong and fun to watch (although Winstead stole the show for me with her grumpy Huntress). Best of all though were the action scenes - maybe it's the relatively lower budget (for a DC movie) but they're actual proper (comparitively) small scale action scenes where the choreography and direction is selling the moves and giving them impact, rather than it just being a mush of CG with a winner at the end like many comic book movies have. There was something thrillingly old fashioned and (again comparitively) down to earth about them, really enjoyed that.

I'd watch it again, which is more than I can say for most post-Nolan DC movies. It certainly knows what it wants to be and nails the brief.

repoman

Quote from: paddykafka on 16 February, 2020, 11:47:54 AM

I'm also a huge fan of Repoman. Saw it five times when it was first released in the cinemas. I remember seeing a version of it on the telly some years later. I can't recall if it was on BBC or ITV, but the version shown was slightly dubbed, so that the words "Fuck" and "Mother-fucker" were, respectively, replaced with "Flip" and "Melon-Farmer".

Really wish that I had taped that particular version.  :D

That is the version I grew up with.  It had a couple of extra scenes too.

One of the versions I've got on DVD has that cut I think.

sheridan

Another vote for Alex Cox Block from here!

Mardroid

JoJo Rabbit.

I liked that a lot. Very funny, yet poignant and sad in places with a good message. If films need to have that. While I did find much of the main plot predictable, the sum of its parts was something rather unique, I thought. The humour is a curious thing, ranging from downright silly (in good way) [spoiler]German Shepherd gag, I'm looking at you[/spoiler] to jet black [spoiler]"Go hug an American soldier." I confess I laughed at that, then felt slightly guilty when considering what was actually going on. Yikes.[/spoiler]

Both young leads did a great job and the supporting cast were likably quirky.

A very good film.

Radbacker

Birds of Prey - fun and enjoyable romp, some top action in it nice a clean and actually looks like real fights none of those quick cuts style fights that marred Charlie's Angels.  Ewan is a right bastard in this and it was very satisfying when he got his come uppance at the end also[/spoiler]Hyena survived I was most upset when it looked like he'd copped it[/spoiler], missus really enjoyed it too.
Sonic - big Sega fanboy but really wondered how they could actually turn Sonic into a half decent movie but they did.  Nice breezy and enjoyable, the new much talked about Sonic design certainly suited it more than the original eldritch design, Sonic is annoying as f&$k which I'm thinking he should be an Carey as Robotnick is very good.  I liked Detective Pickachu more but this was still pretty good.  The missus fell asleep 10 minutes in and woke up with 10 minutes left, in her words "boring"

CU Radbacker

repoman

25 - Blade 2.  The best Blade.  Still holds up, even the CGI.  One of the best vampire films.

26 - Muerte: Tales of Horror.  Dismal portmanteau film.  Some of the worst acting ever.

27 - Saw 2.  I'm doing a Saw slog.  This one is better than I remembered.

28 - Knives Out.  Set up like a whodunnit and feels a bit like a Columbo episode which is no bad thing.  Really liked it.

29 - The Bye Bye Man.  Reasonably effective modern horror film.  Fairly scary.

Colin YNWA

Terry Gilliam's Jabberwocky... well that wasn't as good as I remember. Though it is interesting to see Mr Gilliam learning his craft.

Keef Monkey

Sharkenstein, which I went into expecting a cheap trashy B movie and discovered there are many, many levels of cheap trash below what I previously thought possible. Saying that, we had a pint with it and laughed throughout, so it was a really good time to be honest.

Gary James

Quote from: repoman on 20 February, 2020, 08:03:02 AM
25 - Blade 2.  The best Blade.  Still holds up, even the CGI.  One of the best vampire films.
It is truly, properly funny, and not in the silly way that parts of Blade: Trinity attempted (and failed), it has glorious visuals (even the slightly flubbed CGI, where the complexity was too much for the time is decent), and the performances are among the best in the series. It is untimately a powerful film because it has emotional resonance. and the conclusion actually means something to the character. Without that scene, as the sun rises and Blade accepts events unfolding before him, it would merely be a good film, but by twisting the knife into the viewer one last time is brilliance.
And I totally did not cry. Not even a single tear. No siree...

Rately

Quote from: Gary James on 20 February, 2020, 10:27:36 AM
Quote from: repoman on 20 February, 2020, 08:03:02 AM
It is truly, properly funny, and not in the silly way that parts of Blade: Trinity attempted (and failed), it has glorious visuals (even the slightly flubbed CGI, where the complexity was too much for the time is decent), and the performances are among the best in the series. It is untimately a powerful film because it has emotional resonance. and the conclusion actually means something to the character. Without that scene, as the sun rises and Blade accepts events unfolding before him, it would merely be a good film, but by twisting the knife into the viewer one last time is brilliance.
And I totally did not cry. Not even a single tear. No siree...

There seems to be a lot of hatred for the movie, but I've always enjoyed it.

The line, "Like Hammered Shit.", immediately scores an 8/10 for me.

Gary James

Quote from: Rately on 20 February, 2020, 10:37:08 AM
There seems to be a lot of hatred for the movie, but I've always enjoyed it.
Don't take anything I say as popular consensus - I tend to disagree with most of the standard film texts and review sites, and my reputation for being contrary about certain Japanese and European films is well earned. For as good as some resources are (Virgin and Time Out edging slightly over Halliwell's1), they have a tendency to err on the side of caution.
For the longest time I thought I was the only person on the planet to love The Humanoid, but there are more of us out there than you would imagine...

1. The habit of picking lines from reviews to encapsulate an entire thought process really irks me. There isn't a single Pauline Kael review which is improved by only using a single quote, and Roger Ebert is demonstrably better in long form.

Rately

Darkman

Wow. Had forgotten what a touchstone this movie was to a young Rately back in the day.

Loved it, and I was fearful it would be one of those nostalgia movies where it doesn't live up to what I remembered. Thankfully I was very, very wrong.

You get great performances, a brilliant, slimy villain in Larry Drake and the kind of inventiveness, unique shots and chaos that Sam Raimi brings to his movies.

"TAKE THE FUCKING ELEPHANT!"

Any movie where Liam Neeson delivers a line like that is worthy of a re-watch.

If Sam Raimi directs the Dr Strange movie, we might get something unique, that doesn't follow the formula of the majority of the Marvel movies. And I love the Marvel movies, just hope they shake things up with the next slate of movies and deliver movies that are unique visually, and have actual stakes and surprises.

repoman

The pink elephant, if you please!  Man, I've not watched that in ages.

Nice to see some Blade 2 love on here.

30 - Countdown (2019).  I found this one genuinely scary.  Horror film about a phone app that tells you when you are meant to die.

Not gory or anything but I was cacking it.  Which hasn't happened since It Follows.

Rately

Quote from: repoman on 21 February, 2020, 10:22:56 AM
The pink elephant, if you please!  Man, I've not watched that in ages.

Nice to see some Blade 2 love on here.

30 - Countdown (2019).  I found this one genuinely scary.  Horror film about a phone app that tells you when you are meant to die.

Not gory or anything but I was cacking it.  Which hasn't happened since It Follows.

Ha!

Brilliant film. I really was blown away by how good it was, not having seen it in a good decade or so.

It is a shame we don't see more from Sam Raimi. The man makes great movies, and A Simple Plan and The Gift deserve much more love than they get, as does Drag Me To Hell.