Main Menu

Meg 466: Shoot ’em up

Started by IndigoPrime, 19 March, 2024, 08:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

A tricky Meg to navigate because the relentless and sad nature of the obits is really apparent now. Don't get me wrong – I'm 100% for them in the publication. It's just that stark reality of how many people we are losing right now. Anyway, after a nice Goddard cover I can't find anywhere online:

Dredd: wraps up quite nicely with a reappearance from a character I'd totally forgotten about. So, um, that. It's fun and very silly. The dynamic art was a treat. The last panel was... sigh.

A Paul Neary obit follows and then a kind of tribute seven-page text feature that never made it to Comic Book Punks. As a fan of Marvel UK in my youth, I really enjoyed this (and now know who to blame for cancelling Zoids).

DeMarco continues to be quite good. Which I'm sure sounds like damning with faint praise, but it's not really. It doesn't for me have a standout sport, and yet it's consistently very readable. Probably the best version of the character since she quit the force.

The Black Museum short was a good one, with a properly old-school last frame. After which we get another obit (Romero), a short text feature on David Michelinie, and a DPS Moore Dredd pic.

Reprint! Some Hellman, which is fine. Part 3 of Hookjaw, which I'm apparently only reading because I hate myself, because this has now hit Mega-City Two badness levels. Then a brief slice of painterly fine art from Coombe before the penultimate part of Under Siege, which I'm quite liking, even though it's never quite nailed Dredd himself. (There are some great Mega-City One ideas though.)

Devlin is now at peak Not, which I imagine will divide the audience further. That last frame is... quite something. And then Harrower Squad wraps things up with an episode that for some reason I liked an awful lot more than the previous two. Perhaps it just needed time to bed in.

Next month: Armitage. Presumably alongside Armitage's walking frame and/or Stookie.

Black Museum > Harrower Squad > Devlin > Dredd > Under Siege > DeMarco > Hellman >>>>> Hookjaw

The Monarch

all i can think of this month was THE CREATOR OF VENOM DID WHAT.....

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 March, 2024, 08:51:38 AMReprint! Some Hellman, which is fine.

Although, I notice that the reprint credits Mike Dorey as the artist on Hellman but everything after the first episode is definitely Jim Watson.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Hmmm frustrating Meg this one.

Dredd is actually a real up trick in the story which has been muh up to know, Anthony Williams art aside. Vega coming back really lifted things but ultimately this was just another big monster hard to kill story which is a shame - though the way they 'killed' it was fun.

DeMarco took a dip for me, but only cos I was being dumb I assume and couldn't for the life of me work out how DeMarco got to the name K.R. Babel??? That aside good episode... but how...

Black Museum was fine

I've loved Kot's Devlin Waugh but there was something really off with the pacing this time, basically all that dialogue killed the action and it didn't work for me but LOVE that last panel!

Harrower was a weak episode as it did that annoying trick of setting up what was meant to be a tough situation which the Judges get out of by just punching and shooting folks when the plot needs it. Still the end had potential.

The Paul Neary piece was good. I've not read the Marvel UK chapter yet but looking forward to it and reprint I've read (I remember enjoying Hookjaw - need to re-read it before defending it after Indigo Primes rage though!). So yeah nothing top draw for me this month alas.

broodblik

This was a very meh meg, nothing stood out for me. The Dredd tale falls into the superhero trap – you need a bigger monster to fight the big hero. Normally I like Devlin, but I just cannot get into this arc. Harrow Squad is readable, nothing more. DeMarco never really got off as a stand-alone strip. The meg is currently on a very low ebb, where is Lawless, Dreadnoughts, Megatropolis (last seen in 2021)?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Proudhuff

Quote from: broodblik on 20 March, 2024, 09:02:13 AMCover by Patrick Goddard:

Well, the answer to that is obviously Dredd  ::)
DDT did a job on me

Funt Solo

That Rallying the Trooper Interrogation is ...

... well.

If you can't say anything nice...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

A very quick review of the bits I read.

Dredd
- I'm not really a fan of these 'Dredd-fights-a-scary-monster' strips.  I don't really see him as much of an action hero any more; more a very old copper and soldier who involves himself in politics.

Devlin was fine, though basically just a fight with wordy captions.  Did anyone else notice the stitching in Devlin's back pockets?

Harrower - I'm not crazy about Yeowell's modern style but I really like this strip.  Not sure why but it ticks a few boxes for me.  An otherwise familiar area turned into a bizarre post-apocalypse nightmare - I like it.  And good to see that Slush Puppy will still be sold at least up until World War 3.

The text stuff was interesting - Dan Abnett being a mate of Stewart Lee's was a pleasant surprise for me (see my other thread on this).  David Micheline, well, interesting to know there's been a creator droid who's been uncredited for decades.  Shame about the creations.

Warwick Fraser-Coombe's mixed-media thingy - I don't know what the feck it is, but I like it.  It's either MC1 or the Cursed Earth, or both, or neither.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Le Fink

It is treading water a bit at the moment with no star strip. As brookblik says, shame Megatropolis hasn't returned yet.

The beastie on the cover looks like it was drawn by Ant Williams! But the Dredd is more Goddardy.

Dredd goes all Bill and Ted. The way the monster was defeated was clever - not sure why we needed the timey-wimey stuff and a 'magical' character? Pretty decent stuff all the same, and Ant Williams is on form.

De Marco - it's OK, happy to read but it doesn't stick much in the mind. Not sure I care too much about this iteration of the character (she was more interesting in the Pit / Edgar series). It's fine though, and looks good.

Black Museum was a really good short. Happy to have more from this team.

Hookjaw really not bad! Nice to look at, enjoying the slight supernatural vibe and I'm following the story OK. The snarky dialog is great! What's not to like, IP  :) ?

Under Siege for me is a superior strip that I've not read before - glad to have this reprinted in the Meg. This actually brings this month's offering up a bit in my eyes.

Devlin Waugh agree with Colin on the pacing. Devlin spends the first 5 pages staring at a Nazi. 5 pages! Still at least he seems to be enjoying himself in this one - the last story in the cave was both hard for me to follow and a bit of a downer. Less existential angst in this one. I like Austin's portraits of Devlin - he brings out the bastard.

Harrower Squad is fine. Decent story and art. I'm not really keeping up with who is who though.

Warwick Fraser-Coombe's mixed-media thingy - it's some kinda robot thingy staring at MC-1 through a big hole in the city's wall. I like it.

scrotnig

That's my favourite Megazine cover in a long time. Looks really good on the physical magazine.

JudgeJudi

Is there another story that gives paradox Vegas powers?

I read the one referred to her but she seems powerless there?

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Le Fink on 24 March, 2024, 01:02:28 PMI like Austin's portraits of Devlin - he brings out the bastard.

Now you mention it, that is an intrinsic part of Devlin's character that seems to have been lost a bit, and that I'd forgotten myself.  He truly is, as you say, a bastard - for all his airs and graces he's a violent sadist at heart.  Becoming a vampire didn't shake him all that much, as he was already the type who'd torture someone with a blowtorch to the face to get information. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Link Prime

Quote from: The Monarch on 19 March, 2024, 04:01:57 PMall i can think of this month was THE CREATOR OF VENOM DID WHAT.....

Not a Megger - Whats the story with Michelinie?

Colin YNWA

He worked with Michael Fleisher on plotting some ideas during this time at 2000ad. It was a pretty interesting read, but fair to say his involvement was fairly minimal.