Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

I love Flash Gordon to bits, but I don't kid myself I can speak for anyone apart from us nerds and/or lovers of camp - for instance, Batman and Robin made more money from actual paying customers than Flash Gordon and Superman 2 combined, no matter how much the fanboy response was and remains disproportionately shrill and defensive to what was essentially just another Batman movie like the three that preceded it, but for that it didn't wast time wanking off audience members who were secretly ashamed to be watching a toy ad like the Burton movies did - it filled 90 minutes with shite and then went home.

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 21 April, 2013, 10:09:23 PM
I seem to be in the minority who consider Spider-Man 2 to be the biggest load of balls ever to engraciate a wide audience. It's just dire nonsense.

Dunno about that, but I do find it odd that I have never watched it a second time, and I've rewatched Star Trek 5 and Battlefield Earth by choice on more than one occasion.  Caught an ad on telly for the Lost In Space movie and now I want to rewatch that, too.
But Spider-Man 1-3?  I know they're decent films, but I can take or leave 'em.

Tiplodocus

Tried to watch the Doctor Who TV movie from the mid nineties again this afternoon. Fell asleep again. But what I saw looked terrible. That's twice I've tried to watch it and twice I've fallen asleep. Is it worth trying a third time when I'm not that tired? I suspect not.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

Watch it if you ever have a touch of insomnia.

darnmarr

QuoteI've rewatched... ...Battlefield Earth by choice on more than one occasion.
I'm glad, in one way, that you are comfortable enough to share this, but in another way...  I think you have shared too much, and now I'm frightened.

von Boom

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 21 April, 2013, 09:06:33 PM

What he said, but I'll also add it has some lovely visuals, but is let down by a 'by the numbers' sci-fi plot. That, and Tom Cruise being Tom Cruise.

Oh yes, some of the visuals were gorgeous.

MR. ELIMINATOR

I thought the music to oblviion was interesting as it I was expecting the usual generic happy moment/sad moment music but it was kind of consitent throughout. very unusual for a big blockebuster/shit

JamesC

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 22 April, 2013, 03:41:07 AM
I thought the music to oblviion was interesting as it I was expecting the usual generic happy moment/sad moment music but it was kind of consitent throughout. very unusual for a big blockebuster/shit

Unusual for a big shit?
Don't know about that - some of my big shits have some very interesting free form percussion and horn accompaniments.

Recrewt

Quote from: von Boom on 22 April, 2013, 01:04:58 AM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 21 April, 2013, 09:06:33 PM

What he said, but I'll also add it has some lovely visuals, but is let down by a 'by the numbers' sci-fi plot. That, and Tom Cruise being Tom Cruise.

Oh yes, some of the visuals were gorgeous.

Saw Oblivion at the weekend and I was mildy impressed. 

I would recommend people go and see it at the cinema as the visuals are fantastic but I think it is just one of those films that you can watch and enjoy and then mostly forget about - isn't that what the cinema is all about??  I particularly liked the scene later on where [spoiler]the drone in repair is awakened to terminate Jack and Victoria.  The bit where it 'sneaks' through the curtains was a great scene!  [/spoiler]

Steve Green

Although derivative, Oblivion looked and sounded great.

I enjoyed it.

Link Prime

Quote from: Steve Green on 22 April, 2013, 03:24:54 PM

I enjoyed it.

I'm never gonna watch it, so whats the 'twist'?

michael kennedy

oblivion could do with a re-edit for the most part so it can better nail the flashback scenes and get rid of that tom cruise voiceover at the beginning. a job for morgan freeman... considering hes on screen for like five minutes.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Link Prime on 22 April, 2013, 04:19:59 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 22 April, 2013, 03:24:54 PM

I enjoyed it.

I'm never gonna watch it, so whats the 'twist'?

[spoiler]The story is set up so Cruise is seen as overseeing the suction of the last of earth's resources in the form of it's water for fusion power, before all of humanity bugger off to Titan.  This is after a massive alien invasion has already fucked everything up.

As it turns out, Cruise is one of many clone drones tasked by said aliens to oversee the mechanical side of the suction of the earth's resources, and what he considered to be aliens are actually the remains of humanity trying to fight back. It then later turns out that all the other clone drones are an exact replica of him and a female pilot who were the first to confront the alien menace as it's ship hoved into our solar system.  So we don't just see one Tom Cruise, but a second one up close, who have a scrap, and then an entire obelisk full of the buggers.

However, despite being a clone and having his memory wiped, his humanity remains intact (and conveniently a bit of memory about his wife, who just so happens to crash back to Earth that day after orbiting in suspended animation for 60 years), and when he discovers it's all a con and he isn't going to Titan to rejoin the human race he sides with the survivors and saves the day.  He gets killed in the process but luckily one of his clones is around to shag his resuccitated wife at the end of the film. 

Hurrah, the world is saved etc etc.  [/spoiler]

Or in other words, 'meh.'

I hope that saved you £8.

Link Prime

£8? Where you living, 2007?  ;)
Nice one Shaolin...even picturing Cruises smirky face in my minds eye made reading that spoiler a chore.
Another catastrophe deftly avoided!

Tiplodocus

Aw... Tom is lovely. Leave him alone.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

If Tom Cruise attacked a kindergarten with a flamethrower, Far And Away would still be the worst thing he's ever done.  Not quite sure why he's suddenly so hated these last few years - I presume I missed a memo.