Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 16 November, 2015, 05:24:07 PM
How can anyone not like Big Trouble in Little China? It's a thoroughly enjoyable flick... or should I be posting this on the "Take Away My Geek Card" thread?

Safe to say you're in the majority, Sharky. Of all the people I know - both on and off-line - that have seen Big Trouble, Radiator is the only one I know who doesn't much like it!
@jamesfeistdraws

The Legendary Shark

Phew, that's a relief. I simply can't be at odds with everything!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

radiator

I personally like Big Trouble in Little China. My point was that it's quite a divisive film, many people think it's goofy and shit, and I can easily see why they would. A lot of it is a bit goofy and shit. I certainly wouldn't argue it's a classic.

JamesC

I really liked The Guest. I liked the fact that it went off on one half way through. I thought the performances were pretty good too. The lead bloke was charismatic, convincingly 'hard' but also kind of dead-eyed and scary.
I can see how you'd draw a comparison between 'The Guest/Drive' and 'smart ass 90s thriller/Tarantino'. The thing is, some of those 90s Tarantino inspired thrillers were quite good - so maybe The Guest is the equivalent of something like Things to do in Denver When You're Dead.

Theblazeuk

Big Trouble in Little China is a classic because it's a bit goofy and shit, thus nailing the sort of pulpy nonsense that inspired it.

Goaty

CrazyFoxMachine

Big Hero 6

A bright, beautiful but paperthin superhero film that may forever get buried beneath the continuity heft of Disney's live action output from the period.

The real gold here is the relationship between Baymax and Hiro - playing out like a futuristic mash-up of Raymond Briggs' Snowman and the Iron Giant. Unfortunately this is crowded production and the multiple deaths, multiple team-members and multiple tired story cliches drag it into something that feels forced rather than fun. Clearly, they are at pains to start a franchise here and are too busy spinning genre-pleasing plates to think about leaving anything for you to hanker for when the credits roll.

It's a shame because the Man-in-High-Castle style Japanese-fused US is a beautifully designed backdrop but an utterly open-ended question that could have provided more exciting leads.

Albion

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 16 November, 2015, 08:53:07 PM
Big Trouble in Little China is a classic because it's a bit goofy and shit, thus nailing the sort of pulpy nonsense that inspired it.

I know this is about movies watched but...........I've still never seen Big Trouble in Little China!
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Citi-Def_Joe

Edge of Tomorrow
Very pleasantly surprised loved it

JamesC

Nightcrawler

Excellent - really enjoyed it.
It was very different to what I was expecting and very dark. I kept [spoiler]waiting for Lou to get his comeuppance but he never did[/spoiler]

Professor Bear

Though I latterly try to see the craftsmanship and effort that goes into any work (for all I mock Prometheus as a story, as a production it's magnificent), I'm never too far from going back to being the teenage me who saw something and just went "what a load of fucking shit", and Hunger Games: The Mockingjay: Part 1 is just such a something.
It was only while watching fellow dystopian YA "middle chapter of the franchise" effort Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials that HG3.1's problems became apparent: it's ashamed of being sci-fi, it doesn't tell a complete story, it tells but doesn't show, its characters are ciphers, its plot makes no sense, it's joyless and devoid of emotion, it's stupid and I hate it.  Where in the Hell they spent 125 million dollars I cannot fathom, especially as Maze Runner 2 cost half that and you see where it went about a half hour in when the characters escape an underground bunker that looks suspiciously like a car park, then get chased around a dark abandoned building for a bit, and then the sun comes up and you see vast post-apocalyptic vistas of destroyed cities which then serve as the backdrop for the next 90 minutes of film.  Scorch Trials is unashamed pulpy sci-fi entertainment with some standout production work and setpieces, while HG3.1 is ashamedly sci-fi and aims to be seen as some kind of literature rather than just a Battle Royale knock-off that got astoundingly lucky at the box-office thanks to it's main star's sudden rise to the A-list.
Maze Runner 2, as you may have surmised, I enjoyed considerably more.  It's not without its problems (like the main characters described as being "immune" to the zombie virus despite one of them getting infected in the first half hour), but it has a scope and ambition that Hunger Games: Part 3: Part 1: All Shit lacks.  Brain science it isn't, but it is at least an enjoyable romp that actually feels at moments like it's more than just the setup for Part 3.

TordelBack

Yeah, I was very disappointed by HG3, having bordered on the evangelical regarding the first two.  I kept waiting for something  that wasn't stupid to happen, or for a glint of the social satire or visual flair of earlier instalments. Instead there's the odd shot of massed ranks of suicide bombers emulating the game Lemmings, thatbbit from Rambo 3 with the helicopter, and two massive aerial bombardments that happen entirley off screeen. Terrible shame.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 19 November, 2015, 03:27:42 PM...just a Battle Royale knock-off that got astoundingly lucky at the box-office thanks to it's main star's sudden rise to the A-list.

More likely she got a huge push from the prospect of the property itself - by the time the first film was released in 2012 Jennifer Lawrence wasn't really that well known by a wide audience (an indie release in Winter's Bone; a part in X-Men First Class and Silver Linings Playbook had yet to come out) but by 2012 the trilogy of books had sold something like 40 million copies which is a massive, captive audience - at the perfect cinema attendance age - who were primed to take note of a new, charismatic actor, in her first lead role fronting a big-feature vehicle.

Having said that, it was a mistake, at least from a story-perspective, splitting the final HG installment into 2 films - it felt like the mid-season bottle episode of a TV series.

Goaty

Yeah I watch that film on Netflix last month, what a shite empty film! A Longest teaser for part 2!

von Boom

Sorry. I've never read the books and I thought the first Hunger Games film was utter shite. Even my wife, who made me go, said it was awful. We've never bothered with the series since.