Main Menu

Prog 2321 - The Law Abides

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 February, 2023, 04:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well yes my connection at home issues continue BUT another Saturday Prog has inspired me to drag out the work laptop, slide into the VPN and get connected to celebrate. These days I'm getting more than half my progs on a Saturday and that's something worth sharing.

The other thing is reading this weeks Prog really reminded the glorious diversity of opinion the Galaxy's Greatest inspires. In last weeks review thread we had folks considering dropping the Prog based on current form, folks loving Joe Pineapples and folks, like myself loving everything but, massive range of views on the Dredd... gotta love that.

Anyway this week is arguably even better with most the good things getting even better.

Another Niemand Dredd, while not as beautifully self-contained as last weeks sets up a new big business Head hunting Mega City One style really nicely.

The Out, well its just classic The Out isn't it. Some folks have been lukewarm on this one, if this doesn't pull folks back on side I don't know what will. Just classic comics.

Joe Pineapples... still there I'll give it that.

The Order is as well and but getting better and better in this story. Just superb stuff as it rattles to a conclusion and we get a Beatles cameo. Wonderful

The only bad thing about Proteus Vex is consistent reference to Midnight Indicating Shame has made me miss Resting Bitch Face for some reason... I mean it doesn't stop this strip being high space opera magnificence. Its just brilliance.

It baffles me how anyone reading this could think that the Prog isn't on blindin' form, but it also delights me that they do. That diversity is why 2000ad has the Galaxy's Greatest Fandom.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Richard

norton canes

Beauty innit. Does the Big Gun have a name these days? Hang on (Googles...) is it the Widowmaker?

Timothy

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Timothy on 27 February, 2023, 06:09:59 PMIt's either that or the Lawrod.

Or he's just pleased to see you.

I'm here all night...

broodblik

Another good prog and aren't we spoiled this year by great covers so far. Jock delivers a smashing Dredd cover.

Dredd – This story reminds me an old Wagner/Grant/Dillion story the Hunters Club (prog 409). Another solid start to a new arc from Niemand. I have theory and I will see how it pans out – [SPOILERS]the old man is still alive, and he is busy with a cheaper retrenchment deal and only the strongest will survive and kept[/SPOILERS].

PS- do anyone know how to do a spoiler tag

The Out – What a wild goose chase of an episode but the beaty of this episode is more the banter. Just a joy to read although it really does not push the plot forward.

Joe Pineapples – Blackblood, so no more

The Order – We all live in a yellow submarine as our heroes' do the time-warp again to take the battle directly to the enemy. 

Proteus Vex – The plot thickens as new alliances are forge. Brilliant stuff from the creative team.

IndigoPrime

Hmm. Looks like spoilers don't work on the new board, then. Something to lob into the issues thread.

As for the prog, that cover's something else. I wish we could have a Jock strip, but I'll take what we can get. And Dredd itself starts well, despite the weird respirator design and the ongoing weird lack of diversity in MC1. (No, I won't shut up about this.)

The Out might have lost some folks, but I still think it's wonderful. The strip continues to evolve, although one thing about this issue is that it didn't really give Harrison the opportunity to provide much visual spectacle.

Next up, Joe Pineapples continues. It still looks all right, but the script is the comics equivalent of word salad. Things are just said or just happen. I can't wait for this to be over.

The Order hangs together fairly well, but I don't think has taken me along for the ride for some time now. I'll be glad to see this end, on the basis that it needs an ending.

And then Proteus Vex continues to be excellent. That it can blaze along without its lead is a good sign.

Vex > Out > Dredd > Order > Pineapples

Barrington Boots

Got to echo everyone else in saying that cover is a stunner. A Dry Run reference in the Damage Report makes my day.

The Prog didn't quite enthuse me as much as last week with the middle three stories not quite clicking (or totally missing the mark).

Dredd starts off well (agree with Broodblik that this seems a likely twist). Great to see Manco back in the Prog - his take on MC1 and the judges themselves is a bit more contemporary than I normally like but there's so much energy in it.

The Out was a very enjoyable episode, but also felt somewhat filler-y in that they got off the ship, stood in a queue for something they didn't get to, then got back on the ship. 

Joe Pineapples takes a fun ending last week and immediately makes it not fun. Still not digging this sadly. The time travel element can seriously do one. Looks cool as ever.

The Order for the first time in this series I find myself a bit lost. It's pulpy fun, but it's not hugely engaging. Tharg comments in the letters page that the current run is finishing this month, so we must have another series of this to come surely?

Proteus Vex Run out of good things to say about this. As others say, Vex hasn't even been in it for weeks and it's still going great guns. It feels epic. Love it.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 01 March, 2023, 09:51:55 AMThe Order for the first time in this series I find myself a bit lost. It's pulpy fun, but it's not hugely engaging. Tharg comments in the letters page that the current run is finishing this month, so we must have another series of this to come surely?

In the nerve centre of prog 2317 Tharg said: ....and we return to the edge of time for the final arc of Kek-W and John Burn's history-spanning series The Order.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 01 March, 2023, 09:51:55 AMThe time travel element can seriously do one.
I did groan when that happened. Timey-wimey! Nothing matters! I did see on Reddit that some poor sod was asking about how to read ABC Warriors in chronological order. I managed to avoid responding with AHAHAHAHAHAHAH. (Other responses from users were, fortunately, more sensible, IIRC.)

Barrington Boots

Quote from: broodblik on 01 March, 2023, 11:06:08 AM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 01 March, 2023, 09:51:55 AMThe Order for the first time in this series I find myself a bit lost. It's pulpy fun, but it's not hugely engaging. Tharg comments in the letters page that the current run is finishing this month, so we must have another series of this to come surely?

In the nerve centre of prog 2317 Tharg said: ....and we return to the edge of time for the final arc of Kek-W and John Burn's history-spanning series The Order.

Yes, I remember Tharg saying this, hence my confusion as The Order isn't even close to wrapping up. I thought we might have it in the Prog for an epic lengthy run to close it off.
I'm guessing the final arc isn't the same as the final series and there will be at least one more run to follow.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

Yes that is possibility that the final arc is split into 2 parts. It also looks like all the current stories will end this month with the first issue of April almost being a jump-on-point