Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qtwerk

French horror film "Frontiers".

Pretty shit.

Hawkmumbler

Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie (AKA The Adolescence of Utena): Effin hell I forgot how tripy this movie was! As a self proffest anime nut (one of the few on here I should have thought...) I must admit the Shojo genre holds little for my interest...but I freking LOVE the Utena franchise and I don't know why or how and don't much care! Everything about the asthetics of this movie I should hate, the big flowing dresses, and roses, and the androgynus male characters, and the silly dialogue...but I just CAN'T when it's so goddamn entertaining. I love all that shit in this film (and the TV series and manga for that matter) and I adore how this was the first instance of homosexuality in anime that was criticaly acclaimed in Japan and shifted the nations view on the topic (now if only The Sun had watched it before reporting on the Dredd affair...). I can't reccomend this movie to everyone here, or even any of you, but for god's sake DON'T HATE ME FOR LIKING A GIRKS FILM!  :lol:

HdE

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 31 January, 2013, 04:07:48 PM
As a self proffest anime nut (one of the few on here I should have thought...)

When anime's done right, it's a thing of unparalleled beauty.

I've never seen Utena in any way shape or form, alas. Which is a damned shame, because it looks interesting from the visuals alone.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: HdE on 31 January, 2013, 05:46:08 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 31 January, 2013, 04:07:48 PM
As a self proffest anime nut (one of the few on here I should have thought...)

When anime's done right, it's a thing of unparalleled beauty.

I've never seen Utena in any way shape or form, alas. Which is a damned shame, because it looks interesting from the visuals alone.
It's certainly style over substance but what there is is very nice even from an art house point of view. The use of holy imagery works mych better here than in, say, NGE. There's also a fair amount of character development that revolves around interaction as apossed to NGE's self reflection which works in it's favour. Be warned though, the last five minute's are amongst the most WTF did I just see i'n the history of the median, infamously so. I do love the frnachise so though, i've ordered the entire series on DVD from the states since re-watching the film. So it worked. :lol:

Buttonman

El Chivo

The Sweeney

The dog's bollocks, u slaaaaag!

Chi

Van Dom

Just back from a double bill of Bullet to the Head and The Last Stand, enjoyed both immensely. Bullet to the Head is probably the most enjoyable Walter Hill film I've seen and as a Stallone flick is ten times better than The Expendables 1 or 2 (though its like comparing apples and oranges I suppose). The Last Stand is an Arnie movie that could be straight out of the 80s, has a bit of a Commando vibe about it. Great fun, some hilarious dialogue and a nice ensemble type cast. I didnt even mind Johnny Knoxville in it, and his name on the poster turned me off initially. Neither of them are in any way new or innovative but make for an enjoyable couple of hours each. Although I believe they are flopping big time so maybe I'm one of the few remaining who still likes his cinema outings to consist of this kind of thing, I dont know!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Hoagy

Doom aand was surprised to realise I'd not taken into account Karl Urban as one of the leading men in this film. Lots of fun and game dialogue, scenario stealing. Getting quite the folio together Mr Urban.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

HdE

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 31 January, 2013, 07:15:25 PM
I do love the frnachise so though, i've ordered the entire series on DVD from the states since re-watching the film. So it worked. :lol:

You may have to give me some info on that!

And keep me posted on how your delivery goes through. I've been wary of importing from the USA just lately, as I went through a spell of everything being hit for handling charges by Royal Mail, which I resent paying.

It got so that, at one point, I just marched into the collection office and said 'here's the deal - you're telling me I have to pay £17 for goods I bought that cost just a little bit more than that... so I don't want it. Send it back where it came from. I'll place another order and hopefully THAT won't get hit.'

For the cash I was being asked to hand over, it was a safe gamble. My replacement DVD arrived, no fees, and RM had to pay the £20 to post the first item back. The seller was also gracious enough to refund my purchase.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: HdE on 02 February, 2013, 07:05:16 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 31 January, 2013, 07:15:25 PM
I do love the frnachise so though, i've ordered the entire series on DVD from the states since re-watching the film. So it worked. :lol:

You may have to give me some info on that!

And keep me posted on how your delivery goes through. I've been wary of importing from the USA just lately, as I went through a spell of everything being hit for handling charges by Royal Mail, which I resent paying.

It got so that, at one point, I just marched into the collection office and said 'here's the deal - you're telling me I have to pay £17 for goods I bought that cost just a little bit more than that... so I don't want it. Send it back where it came from. I'll place another order and hopefully THAT won't get hit.'

For the cash I was being asked to hand over, it was a safe gamble. My replacement DVD arrived, no fees, and RM had to pay the £20 to post the first item back. The seller was also gracious enough to refund my purchase.
I use DVDWORLDUSA, Allyourmusic or moviemars-usa at amazon market place or from amazon direct. Which ever is cheapest. In this insatance moviemars-usa, with p&p adding to a sum total of £26.23. They these people have been tried and tested many times and have NEVER been snagged. I can't give a reason for this. Investiation has indicated there is nothing about them that suggests they pay any kind of license or merit to allow there parcels through customs, but if the service does as they say, I don't much care. I should re-phrase my last statement also. I've ordered the first ARC of the series, from Nozomi. I remember the imagery in the TV series is toned down alot fro the later movie, and the sexuality between characters is also more low key (for audience perpoises I presume, the source material is fairly provocative) so it's a much more mild viewing than the movie (though due to censorship of animation, many scene's in the movie exhibit 'Barbie doll' anatomy. A pet hate of mine.).

HdE

Ah, yeah! Nozomi are a class act.

I've used MovieMars and AllYourMusic a fair bit in the past. great sellers. Unfortunately, I had shipments from BOTH intercepted by customs during the RM imports Jihad.

I've not been in a position to buy anything from overseas for a while, due to financial woes. But I may dabble again soon now that money seems to be stabilising a bit.

(The new lady seems quite taken with anime too, so... yeah could be good timing!)

Hawkmumbler

One thing I feel I must point out about Utena though is the presence of my second biggest pet hate, the cutesy anthropomorphic pet creature. In this case Chu-Chu. He's hardly the worst example of this horror, but every scene he's in is slightly ruined, suffering from Jar Jar syndrome. Best ignore his scene's as I do, thankfully he's mostly absent from the film, confined to a 2 minuet cameo in a video casset tape accisdently put on by a character. Just thought I should point out that despite the fact I consider the series to be a classic doesn't mean it's above the typical failings of anime. It's not quite Cowboy Bebop.

Hawkmumbler

In other news I watched Argo at the cinema last night. Great little film. Happy I saw it actualy, probably get the BD.

Bat King

Just done an Urban double bill round at a mate's place.

Priest:
Never read it, heard the film isn't much like it... I enjoyed the film, despite some predictability. Good action and decent enough acting.

Dredd:
Why didn't anyone tell me about this movie. it's awesome! I think one or two of you guys might like it...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Zarjazzer

Watched Dredd  (again) this time  on download via the power of Virgin. I was worried they might chop some bits but didn't seem to be anything missing thank goodness. Watching it again just reinforced what a terrific film it is and that it really is as much Anderson's film as Dreddies.

Yeah.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.