Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

and FINALLY Esther... Can anyone explain to me why 200 celebrities can sign a letter and make pleas on national TV for Scotland to stay in the Union but Andy Murray has to apologise for one innocuous tweet supporting independence?
DDT did a job on me

Hawkmumbler

India finally got a rocket into space. Thats great, maybe you could filter the next $75 Million to all your starving citizens now, that would be nice thanks.

Proudhuff

unfortunately the starving people don't buy our tech and arms, so no money for them, and building dependacy on aid in the developing markets sorry countries rather than supporting self sufficancy is another minefield this thread has yet to enter.
DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

There are hungry and homeless people in the USA, Russia and Europe too. Should their space exploration be cancelled as well in order to fund the poor?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

TordelBack

There are far worse things to waste money on than understanding the universe and steps towards the future of the whole human race, and far, far more of it is poured down those many unsavoury drains. 

Once India/everywhere else have stopped doing all those things, I'll be better disposed towards eliminating spending on fripperies like art, science etc.  In the meantime, forward.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 September, 2014, 10:46:50 AM
There are far worse things to waste money on than understanding the universe and steps towards the future of the whole human race, and far, far more of it is poured down those many unsavoury drains. 

Indeed. NASA's entire budget between 1952 and 2012 was just over half a trillion dollars. The Us government spent over a third of a trillion dollars on their military in 2012 alone. Also, through patents and whatnot, NASA has returned $18 for every $1 invested, but it has given us so much more. Can you put a price on all those highly entertaining conspiracies about faking the moon landings?

Also, we could have sent six rovers (complete with rocket-cranes) to Mars for the price of the London Olympics.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

I think I'm with Tordels on this. Stop spending money on cluster bombing people and disemboweling the planet before cutting back on exploration. I'd much rather look at new pictures of Mars than new pictures of suffering.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Old Tankie

When did he say he wasn't pro Europe?  It's the European Union he's against!

I've had some wonderful holidays in Europe.  Italy's my favourite place in the world.  I love Europe.  I just don't want to be ruled by it!

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Space exploration is essential to the long-term survival of humanity, as well as being a noble and inspiring thing to do in it's own right. Well done, India.

As for Britain, we should increase our own space budget by a multiple of about a thousand, imho.

Fungus

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 25 September, 2014, 07:23:44 PM
Space exploration is essential to the long-term survival of humanity, as well as being a noble and inspiring thing to do in it's own right. Well done, India.

Hearing this headline on the radio news I counted down, waiting for the inevitable "isn't this obscene when... blah-blah-blah?" Predictable and lame reporting.

JamesC

Just heard on the news that someone's opened an Aggro-Dome in Hungary.
People are so frustrated that they need a place to let off steam.

Proudhuff

shouldn't that be in the '2000ad predicts the future' thread ?  :D
DDT did a job on me

Tombo

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 25 September, 2014, 07:23:44 PM
As for Britain, we should increase our own space budget by a multiple of about a thousand, imho.

I agree, but only if the government agency is called the British Rocket Group.