Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Sorry, all Scotches look the same to me, bear
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Jim_Campbell

Government proposes enquiry to explore the possibility of an end to a free NHS.

I hate to say "I told you so", but I fucking told you so.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

NapalmKev

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 July, 2015, 01:20:15 PM
Government proposes enquiry to explore the possibility of an end to a free NHS.

I hate to say "I told you so", but I fucking told you so.

Jim

I like to imagine that the 'General Public' will rise up and smash these Clowns into the dirt but the majority of people don't give a Fuck, which itself is a very sad state of affairs.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Old Tankie

The NHS is not and never has been "free".

Professor Bear

The right issue hasn't come along just yet, is all, Kev, but luckily, this lot seem keen to push their luck.

I'm kind of hoping some bright spark at the BBC cottons on that all they have to do is announce that the government is forcing them to stop competing with prime-time channels so they're cutting all their dancing and medical shows.  A few days without Doctors or The Archers and those pensioners won't be Tory voters anymore.

The Legendary Shark

All to pay back an imaginary debt to the biggest criminal organisations on the planet. If we are not careful, one day we will wake up as serfs in the lands our forefathers fought and died to keep free. And the saddest part is that, as NapalmKev says, most people don't care. How can they care when economics and banking are so boring while X-Factor and Sport are so exciting? It's like a massive magic trick - look at the sparkly things and on no account pay any attention to the men behind the curtain.
Truth? We can't handle the truth.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

I would. The sooner the lot of them are stripped bare to hammer home how corrupt they truely are the better.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 16 July, 2015, 02:36:51 PM
The NHS is not and never has been "free".

No. But they're talking about funding it through direct insurance and patient payments rather than general taxation with no payment at the point of use.

I understand perfectly well how the NHS works, and your pedantry doesn't change the fact that this government is ideologically committed to ending the NHS as we know it.

As I pointed out, repeatedly, in the run up to the last election.

Jim

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Jim is correct. What most people don't realise is that the problem isn't how things like the NHS, police, roads etc. are paid for but what they are paid for with. To pay for things with actual, honest-to-God money is fine - but to pay for them with debt is madness.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Old Tankie

In the Tory manifesto, didn't they pledge to spend an extra £8 billion on the NHS during this parliament?  I don't believe for one second that they will get rid of free at source treatment on the NHS.  Time will tell if either you or I are right.

Professor Bear

Yes, but what's the alternative, Falcy?  A fairer system that works better and doesn't unfairly distribute a finite amount of wealth?  No such system exists and never will.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 16 July, 2015, 03:07:15 PM
In the Tory manifesto, didn't they pledge to spend an extra £8 billion on the NHS during this parliament?  I don't believe for one second that they will get rid of free at source treatment on the NHS.  Time will tell if either you or I are right.

Again: they have said they are ideologically committed to it. They were saying it before the 2010 election. They were briefing private healthcare companies to expect fundamental changes to the NHS, that the NHS would cease to exist as a provider of care and become an umbrella 'brand' under which private companies provided services.

Your faith in Tory manifesto pledges is rather touching, however.

Jim