Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Prodigal2 on 27 August, 2016, 01:19:57 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 26 August, 2016, 12:15:51 PM

I am so stealing that.

(Hope that's ok Proudhuff-won't post until permission granted).

:) Steal away I think Prodigal, that's from the artist Stephen Byrne.

Prodigal2

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 30 August, 2016, 03:52:31 PM
Quote from: Prodigal2 on 27 August, 2016, 01:19:57 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 26 August, 2016, 12:15:51 PM

I am so stealing that.

(Hope that's ok Proudhuff-won't post until permission granted).

:) Steal away I think Prodigal, that's from the artist Stephen Byrne.

Good man.

Proudhuff

That's good to know as it came to me uncredited!
DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

Looking forward to receiving my €2888.89 of Apple's unpaid taxes.  Cheers, Irish government!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

Brexit idiots now saying companies like Apple will be welcome in a post-EU UK. Yeah, great. Let's become a huge tax haven where corporations don't pay their taxes. Also, if we're not in the single market, Apple wouldn't be able to operate here anyway. GAH.

Old Tankie

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 31 August, 2016, 04:31:33 PM
Why?

The company in question is "Apple Europe". The clue is in the name.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Old Tankie

Surprising as it may seem to you, Jim, the EU and Europe are not the same thing.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Old Tankie on 31 August, 2016, 04:59:03 PM
Surprising as it may seem to you, Jim, the EU and Europe are not the same thing.
Not even going to bother pulling up the meme, just this....'YOU DON'T SAY!!!!'

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 31 August, 2016, 04:59:03 PM

It's the corporate entity Apple created to trade in the EU, so they're not going to relocate it to a country outside the EU.

I knew that, so my original statement was perfectly reasonable. Your post, however, is born either of ignorance or obtuseness to the point of trolling.

Old Tankie

Bearing in mind that the tax advantages of being based in the EU are being stopped, why couldn't they come to the UK? Or are you saying that Apple won't be able to trade anywhere outside the EU?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 31 August, 2016, 05:15:28 PM
Bearing in mind that the tax advantages of being based in the EU are being stopped, why couldn't they come to the UK? Or are you saying that Apple won't be able to trade anywhere outside the EU?

No. I'm saying precisely the opposite of that. Apple (Europe) is separate entity in Apple's corporate structure for trading with the EU. The idea that they would relocate that entity to a country outside the EU is nonsensical. Post-Brexit, it's far more likely that they would create an additional company for UK operations, the same way that they have subsidiary corporations for the Pacific and the Far East.

Old Tankie

Thanks for that Jim, I can see the sense in that.  I wasn't asking whether Apple should or would come to the UK, I was asking IndigoPrime why they couldn't.

Michael Knight

Folks I dont think its fair called Brexit voters Idiots all the time. The Irish government couldn't afford a modest increase in pension for theit citizens but could afford to submit to Merkels demands. There is a growing resentment amongst people in Ireland where i spend a lot of time at fact their political establishment are all overwhelmingly pro EU federalism. The EU leaders seems to have a death wish in that they alienating and pissing off a lot of their own citizens. I fear for Europe i really do. You've got Europhile Clowns like Tim Farron that are as every bit as bad as the Anti EU fanatics. They so far up their own arse they cannot so the the machinations of the EU might just have something to do with the rise of extreme left/extreme right parties across the mainland of Europe.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Michael Knight on 01 September, 2016, 12:50:24 AM
You've got Europhile Clowns like Tim Farron that are as every bit as bad as the Anti EU fanatics.

I don't really agree with much in your post (I'm massively left wing and  pro-remain) except this particular point and you've nailed it - what the fuck are the Lib Dems doing?  What is their role now? A man leading party that used to represent the middle ground between Thatcherite tories and militant labourites is now positioning itself as "the party that ignores a democratic vote"

Their only hope is when Labour party members overwhelmingly reelect Corbyn because THEY WANT A TRUE LABOUR PARTY rather than a vote-winning compromise party, all the Tory-lite members will leave and join the remains of the SDP/LDs to form a " ooooh, we're not nasty tories or commy labourites" party.

Maybe they'll capture the public vote and Corbyn and his followers will be relegated to a 3rd place position, I don't know, but the current party set up is surely fucked beyond repair  .... BEWARE THE BRITISH TRUMP!  :o