Main Menu

Forum's Favourite Thrill - American Gothic vs Fervent and Lobe - Round 1 Heat 1

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 October, 2021, 07:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Judge

I've not read either, so shouldn't vote! That isn't to say my vote can't be bought during a close one - just PM me with who you want me to vote for, I accept Galactic Groats and original art droid scribbles  ;)

Colin YNWA

Well even the longest journey starts with a single step and so here we are. The first votes are about to end and while I ponder the thought of having to think of another 500ish of these last days bumping posts (gulp I never know what to say) you have 1 day to vote on this the before I count it up and annouce our first winners tomorrow morning.

O Lucky Stevie!

American Gothic was Edgy going one better than Gaiman but Fervent and Lobe was like nothing else before or since.

Fervent and Lobe it is.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

sintec

Seeing as this is the only pairing so far where I've read both tales I feel like I should get a vote in. Fervent and Lobe feels like an appetiser in the lead up to the brilliance that is Indigo Prime. American Gothic on the other hand is a fully formed story in it's own right. On that basis I think I'm going to vote for American Gothic

I, Cosh

American Gothic was perfectly fine but never really got started. I much preferred the Vertigo series Hinterkind which it morphed into.

Fervent & Lobe is irritating because of the deliberately obscuring meta-narrative device Smith insisted on using in all those early IP stories. It's also great because of some the gruesome imagery that Smith and Hadley cook up.

Fervent & Lobe.
We never really die.

Link Prime

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

One of my fav points of all this stuff is this, when all the gubbins first starts to become decisions and I have to be honest I never thought

Fervant and Lobe

could have brought me such pleasure, but its stormed this one and gained a clear win.

Personally I'd have gone American Gothic as while neither is perfect I love Mike Collins art and I think the horror western is a tighter story. Still the more John Smith in the tourney the better in anyones book. And the Indigo Prime 'cowboys' storm into the 2nd round...