Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

I really want to play The Last Of Us but I don't have a PS3 and since I've already preordered a PS4 I'm not about to go and buy one.
Hopefully it'll get a PS4 release at some point.
Looking back I should have chosen the PS3 over the 360 last generation - I think the exclusives are more up my street. I'm not a big fan of Halo or Gears Of War but I know I'd love the Uncharted games and I always thought Little Big Planet looked fun too.

Professor Bear

I suspect you may soon be able to pick up a PS3 - and hundreds of games for it - quite cheaply.

Rog69

I really like the look of The last of us too but I can't find the demo, did they take it down once the game came out?

Satanist

Prob get this next month as it sounds right up my street.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

radiator

I'm tempted by The Last of Us (Edge 10/10...) but suspect that its not going to be my cup of tea. I pretty much hate these kind of 'cinematic' games, and when a review of a videogame praises the 'story' and 'characters' I cringe a bit.

Professor Bear

While I agree that gaming peaked with Manic Miner, I am willing to accept that it is the year 2013.

JamesC

There's no reason at all that a game can't have a good story or good characters.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 17 June, 2013, 12:14:02 PM
While I agree that gaming peaked with Manic Miner, I am willing to accept that it is the year 2013.

And in 2013 I'm still waiting for Jet Set Willy III.

Professor Bear

Quote from: JamesC on 17 June, 2013, 12:37:12 PM
There's no reason at all that a game can't have a good story or good characters.

All the truly great games have a strong story and good characters, though I suppose if you don't like that sort of thing there's always tabletop or mobile gaming.

radiator

QuoteThere's no reason at all that a game can't have a good story or good characters.

Each to his own - I have an unshakable personal opinion that videogames are a wholly unsuitable artform for storytelling in the conventional sense due to several fundamental limitations of the medium, games that try to emulate cinematic or televisual storytelling tropes are destined to fall short of their ambitions, and also that the very best videogame stories - which the gaming press likes to parade around as works of genius - are usually transparently derivative and roughly equivalent in terms of quality and sophistication with an above-average straight to DVD movie or spin-off genre novel.

I play games to play, not to watch. Cut scenes and QTEs are the enemy of fun.

QuoteAll the truly great games have a strong story and good characters

Yeah, the plot of Super Mario Bros. was a work of storytelling genius. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time - "Will the Princess be in the next castle?" What an emotional rollercoaster!  :P

TordelBack

Don't often visit this thread, because the most up-to-date gaming platform I have access to is the Wii, but I took a punt on a PSP at a sale of work (for a fiver!), and aside from the box being battered to buggery inside it turned out to be brand new and unopened 1003 model, with all the trimmings, still in sealed baggies.   

I'm half considering eBaying it in this condition, but lacking a smartphone or tablet, I do rather fancy a handheld of one's own. 

Anyone care to suggest some good games?  The internet has so far shown me little that took my fancy, and I think the last time I asked the Hive Mind it suggested Advance Wars for the DS for which I am eternally grateful. 

I suppose RPG, strategy and puzzle are my fave genres, lacking as I do any perceptible form of hand-eye co-ordination. Basically nothing that involves controlled braking or ledges. 

Also, wasn't there some suggestion of reading comics on a PSP, or did I dream it?

Cheers.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: radiator on 17 June, 2013, 02:57:38 PM
I play games to play, not to watch. Cut scenes and QTEs are the enemy of fun.

I'd agree with this, but I wouldn't dismiss storytelling in games altogether. Although games, good games, don't live or die on their plots, a good story can make a good game more enjoyable. And games aren't wholly unsuitable for storytelling. They're unsuitable for cinematic style storytelling maybe, but games like Portal and Half-Life have shown that using the medium of games to tell a story is possible.

But if it's using QTEs, it's not a game, it's a poorly made CGI cartoon that requires the viewer to hammer a button every so often if they want to keep watching. Fuck that.
You may quote me on that.

M.I.K.

Quote from: radiator on 17 June, 2013, 02:57:38 PM
Each to his own - I have an unshakable personal opinion that videogames are a wholly unsuitable artform for storytelling in the conventional sense due to several fundamental limitations of the medium, games that try to emulate cinematic or televisual storytelling tropes are destined to fall short of their ambitions, and also that the very best videogame stories - which the gaming press likes to parade around as works of genius - are usually transparently derivative and roughly equivalent in terms of quality and sophistication with an above-average straight to DVD movie or spin-off genre novel.

You've never played Grim Fandango, have you?

Professor Bear

Quote from: radiator on 17 June, 2013, 02:57:38 PMYeah, the plot of Super Mario Bros. was a work of storytelling genius.

The Super Mario Bros that came out 30 years ago?

Again: it is 2013.

radiator

QuoteThe Super Mario Bros that came out 30 years ago?

Yes, the super mario bros. that still plays every bit as well as it did thirty years ago!

QuoteAgain: it is 2013.

And thankfully loads of great games are still being made - ones that don't force a redundant story in your face! I dont mind games having a story, I just don't like it when they are overbearing and intrude on gameplay.

QuoteYou've never played Grim Fandango, have you?

You've got me there! I will admit that all of the 1990s Lucasarts adventure games do indeed have great characters and fun stories and would be my main exception. However, they're not really games in the traditional sense are they? They're more like interactive picture-books.