Main Menu

Rogue Trooper Issue 3 Preview

Started by Bat King, 23 April, 2014, 01:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bat King

Late up due to being far too busy over the weekend and then my router getting drenched today...

I'm really enjoying this. Won't get my paper copy till next week due to lack of pennies in my pocket but it will be waiting for me at OK Comics.

Preview is up for those who want to look.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

TordelBack

Very nice, exciting to see Bagman do his logical thing!  But that does seem like quite a lot of preview pages there, Bat King... which I suppose means it's fairly dense stuff. 

I do wonder about [spoiler]the sense of having the conflict starting somewhere other than NuEarth, and also the idea of a pre-war population of only 95,000.  I always got the impression from the GFD days that NuEarth was full of ruined cities like Phrisco and NuParee: its own little world in ruins.  And can 3 million soldiers really fight a planet-wide conflict of the intensity that Rogue Trooper demands?  It's about a quarter of the numbers of troops that served on the Western Front in WWI alone. [/spoiler] I've no problem with NuEarth being one theatre in a galactic war, but it probably shouldn't be a minor one.

Very much like the idea of [spoiler]a beanstalk and an artificial blackhole/wormhole though[/spoiler].

Bat King

Yup the numbers are a weak point I guess.  One I had over looked rather than accepted. I am accepting it for the moment though.

7 pages is the standard preview IDW give out.  Often with new stories Rebellion ask for only the first page or unlettered pages. Not that I get many new story Previews from Rebellion.

Sometimes I have chosen to show no or less preview pages because IDW are showing too much!

Obviously I get a full issue (watermarked) too that I skeins hint at. Where as Rebellion give me unwatermaked copies with instructions on what if any can be used in a Preview.

Montynero gave me really cool pics and they were almost always spoilers with a 'look at this but don't tell! message with aDeath Sentence. As a fan those er always exciting e-mails!
Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

TordelBack

Quote from: Bat King on 23 April, 2014, 10:13:18 AM
7 pages is the standard preview IDW give out.

Apologies BK, wasn't implying impropriety, just that I'm used to US previews being frustratingly short despite the number of pages, whereas that one felt like there was a hefty chunk of comic in just 7 pages - it was by way of a positive remark about the book (decompression being a pet peeve).

Bat King

The comic does feel like a few 2000AD episodes  rather than a loooong trudge that some US comics do that coulda been 6 snappy pages in 200AD.

I think it was Andy Diggle I first heard say to practice writing by taking a 30 page Spiderman and making it a 6 page 2000AD version. Then take a 6 page 2000AD story and make it 1 page.

I ought to re-write this Preview based on what you are bouncing my way! :)

Interestingly I have have commented on this sort of thing before. Hoax Hunters 0 was one such title where I mentioned good use of episodic story telling seeming seamless as it was originally published two pages at a time and was paced in a way that worked 2 pages at a time AND collected. That's how many 2000AD writers of today write - one example being Rob Williams with things like 10 seconders. New readers will sometimes find 2000AD reprints slightly odd because of the 'this happened last time' way that was used in the past. Though that still stands up fine in Charley's War in my opinion.
Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Moggot Lover

Hopefully my copy comes today or tomorrow. Really liking what IDW have done with Rogue. 
"We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go." --Col. Tigh. BSG.