Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

I think you're being overly harsh, Jim.  Wolverine goes through hundreds of years of life without ever having to bend his wrists - once you accept this, and that he has those same muscles the rest of us have that make things extend/retract from our arms, the film makes perfect sense.  I'm also pretty sure that the US government has already developed a magic amnesia bullet, too.  And that the human brain actually does heal itself.  And that if you hit an 'impenetrable' metal with another bit of impenetrable metal one bit will pierce the other - that's just common sense.
Gymkommentary do a great Wolverine 'director's commentary' that veers between disbelief at the levels of stupidity on show and outright admiration for it, and it's very friendly to the comics buff.

Tron: Legacy.  Pretty good atmosphere, but Tron himself was hardly in it [spoiler](Rizler not counting in my book)[/spoiler] and her off House was a singularly useless action hero to the point it detracted from enjoyment.  Liked the end, too, [spoiler]which thwarted expectations of the usual hero/villain pagga, though I suspect this had more to do with technical limitations than design.[/spoiler]

The Day After, which is one of Steve Guttenberg's funnier films.

Keef Monkey

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, which was recommended to me by my mum. There were several points where I felt awkward just knowing she'd watched it though, pretty brutal in places! Very good film though, and I have to say I fell a bit in love with the lead actress. Will definitely be watching the other two asap.

Radbacker

Chronicles of Narnia - Voyage of he Dawn Treader.  servicable fantsy guff but not outstanding (pretty much like all the Narnian movies so far) think it erred a bit too much on the whole christian anolagy thing at the end when Aslan just basicly says he's known by another name (God, Jesus?) in our world. I know the books have a whole christian thing goign on in them but is it ever specificaly stated?

CU Radbacker

House of Usher

Young Frankenstein. So familiar, it's like a comfort blanket.
STRIKE !!!

Mardroid

Quote from: Radbacker on 14 March, 2011, 02:41:11 AM
think it erred a bit too much on the whole christian anolagy thing at the end when Aslan just basicly says he's known by another name (God, Jesus?) in our world. I know the books have a whole christian thing goign on in them but is it ever specificaly stated?

He says a similar thing at the end of the book too, although he doesn't mention Jesus by name. I think he adds something along the lines 'you will have to travel across a wide river to find me'. That's off the to top of my head, and I read the book a long time ago. In fact Dawn Treader was the first of the Narnia books that I read.  It's the only place where it's that explicit I think. (Well apart from the obvious death and resurrection in the first story.)

I've yet to see the film, but I get the impression it's a major departure from the book otherwise, ([spoiler]doesn't the White Witch feature in the film? I think I spotted her in the trailer,[/spoiler] Heh.) so it's interesting that they left that bit in.

radiator

Jurassic Park: The Lost World (the watered down ITV2 edit) - which reminded me what a piss-poor sequel it is to the wonderful original. Though it does at least have some effective action sequences and it's still better than the truly awful JP3.

The problems with it jump out much more now that I'm a bit older - what the hell were they thinking when they dreamt up the silly ending? It makes literally no sense whatsoever  (who or killed the people on the boat?) and just seems like a desperately tacked-on and contrived way of getting to see a T Rex run amok in a city - presumably to try and compete with the 1997 Godzilla movie.

Dandontdare

heh, yeah I watched that last night too. It's amazing how after the boat crew are slaughtered by a giant T-rex (which then puts iteslf conveniently back into it's cargo hold), the boat continues to steer itself precisely onto the very pier it was heading for. That was some pretty accurate course-plotting there!

Keef Monkey

I think they were killed by Velociraptors that stowed away and then jumped ship afterwards. Duh. Been thinking lately of reading the first novel again, that was brilliant.

We watched Salt last night. It wasn't my pick, and I thought it would be awful. It is pretty bad, but alright for a bit of mindless sub-Bourne fun on a Sunday night. It's unintentionally very funny in places too thanks to some ludicrous ideas that should never have got off the drawing board (particularly chuckleworthy is where [spoiler]Angelina Jolie puts on a rubber face, fake eyebrows and a Tom Cruise wig in one of the least convincing disguises in movie history[/spoiler]. Biggest problem isn't the mental plotting but the fact the action scenes show no directorial flair or dynamism at all. A bit like watching a fight scene in a tv show or something. There's a ton of really obvious wire-work too, it seems like anytime she takes a step she's assisted by a full wire-fu team. 

radiator

I Googled it and came across a hilariously in-depth and far-fetched discussion on a Jurassic Park fan site, where the consensus seemed to be that the T Rex killed them all, but a few survivors managed to lure it back into the cargo hold before succumbing to their injuries.

I think also that someone seriously posits Keef's theory, that raptors stowed aboard, killed everyone, then jumped off the ship!

Weirdly, no-one suggests that it's simply because the script is a plot-hole laden, lazy rush job.

I remember really enjoying the original Crichton novel too - in fact it may have been the first 'proper' book I ever read from start to finish. ISTR that loads of chapters in it were rather shamelessly repurposed into the movies of The Lost World and JP3, like the girl on the beach being attacked by the little dinos, the Pterodactyl aviary and the T Rex/waterfall scene - perhaps even the Allosaurus chase too.

Van Dom

Paranormal Activity 2....was okay, I guess, though a bit of a damp squib.
Had a couple of freaky moments but overall seemed to lack as much punch as the first, which was genuinely frightening. I didn't really like the way they tried to 'explain' the reason behind what was happening, and what that reason was. Think it works better when there is no reason, you don't know why its happening, it just IS.
Still, the addition of the dog and child made for a couple of tense scenes so it wasnt a waste of time and was a good enough watch.

Also watched Yogi Bear with the kids. God that was dire. Even for a kids movie, its target age range didn't extend past 4 or 5 years old, it was nothing more than pre-school fare. My two boys got bored and went to bed, and even they are only 3 and 4 years old! I watched it for Anna Faris, who is usually great in stuff, but even she couldn't save this. The Scooby Doo live action movies, as derided as they were, are ten times better than this.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Van Dom on 14 March, 2011, 12:57:01 PM
Also watched Yogi Bear with the kids. God that was dire. Even for a kids movie, its target age range didn't extend past 4 or 5 years old, it was nothing more than pre-school fare. My two boys got bored and went to bed, and even they are only 3 and 4 years old! I watched it for Anna Faris, who is usually great in stuff, but even she couldn't save this. The Scooby Doo live action movies, as derided as they were, are ten times better than this.

search for "Booboo kills yogi" on youtube (can't find link as I'm at work just now) - and then show THAT to the kids. They'll probably cheer!

zombemybabynow

On Sunday I watched, (yet again,) The remake of The Time Machine starring Guy Pearce - fantastic film, perfect Sunday viewing
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Professor Bear

Quote from: Van Dom on 14 March, 2011, 12:57:01 PMAlso watched Yogi Bear with the kids. God that was dire. Even for a kids movie, its target age range didn't extend past 4 or 5 years old, it was nothing more than pre-school fare.

"I demand my money back!  I expected more from a film about talking bears voiced by Dan Akroyd and Justin 'The American Robbie Williams' Timberlake!"
See also: "I expected more of a remake of a 1980s television show featuring a talking car driven by David Hasselhoff" and "I didn't expect that movie based on the A-Team to be so silly."

Seriously, I can't tell you how low my expectations were going in to Yogi Bear (I had resolved to see it because of my hastily-conceived New year Resolution to see all movies that I know to feature bears), but it was pretty much what I expected apart from not recognizing Anna Farris until about halfway through.  Nowt against the woman, I think what she's doing with her career - picking the most horrendously unfunny project she can and then starring in it so she acts as a sort of human signpost so I can avoid it - is very noble, a bit like that priest who insisted on being shot by Nazis because Jesus was Jewish.  Kids loved it, all the same.  Guess it's a bit like Where the Wild Things Are, where enjoyment differs upon gender and age of the audience.

Tiplodocus

I quite like JP3. It's just one great big chase used as an excuse to get cool dinosaurs on screen. And has a great Barney gag.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

I, Cosh

Saw Battle: Los Angeles this evening. Expectations were low but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Cheesy, formulaic and explodey. It was like a fun version of Independence Day.
We never really die.