Main Menu

2000AD: Project Sketchbook

Started by ming, 16 November, 2013, 04:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoFox2108

Quote from: ming on 19 July, 2017, 03:50:38 PM

Yeah, he sent me a pic earlier and it is, indeed, a doozy.  49 images now and this is only the second Dredd...

I love this image - amazing!
QuoteIt's all a deep end.

ming

Nothing new to report just yet but I don't think I ever posted what Ian Kennedy sent me when I first asked him to do something for Project Sketchbook.

The books are small, just A5; Ian proposed doing this as a full-colour, double-page piece - I thought I'd been clear that all I was asking for was a sketch but apparently not  :o

I explained that having this tucked away in the pages of a small sketchbook would be crazy and we settled on something less insane (see page 1 of this thread).  Anyway, it's a lovely drawing and a real treasure.

I, Cosh

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

ming

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 09 August, 2017, 08:51:20 PM
Astonishing!

Isn't it just?  He was 82 when he did that...  When I first wrote to him he had little recollection of his contributions to 2000AD so I posted various photocopies to him, mentioning that that 'Himmel!' cover was a huge favourite of mine.  The next thing I new was when a letter and this accompanying prelim arrived in the post.  It would have been amazing to have followed through with his initial idea but I don't think any subsequent contributors to Project Sketchbook would have remained sane.  Anyway, I'm very happy to see Ian back on Tharg's radar these days and that he's now supplying a steady stream of 2000AD commissions to eager fans.

ming

Something new to share and too excited not to do so - a pair of wonders from the pen of Mark Sexton...  As happy as I am that Mark is in such demand in Hollywood I'd sooner have him chained down properly and slaving away for Tharg full-time.

Colin YNWA

Well without wishing to repeat myself.

Astonishing.

I love the fact that even his signature is elaborate!

Dr Feeley Good

Spikes

Superb stuff once again, Ming.  :thumbsup:

ming

Fresh from the dazzling brainspace of Mr. Leigh Gallagher...  I can't wait for more Kingmaker in the Prog!

Colin YNWA

Yep that has me hackering for more. Of the story and this thread!

Bolt-01

That's a stunner. love Leigh's work- he's got a wonderful sense of immediacy and movement.

ming

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 10 November, 2017, 08:33:49 AM
That's a stunner. love Leigh's work- he's got a wonderful sense of immediacy and movement.

Yeah, the energy just crackles off the page on this one.  The book has already moved on and I'm very excited to see what the next (non art-droid) artist comes up with... Watch this space.

I think the first book that went out is pretty much full now (a couple of pages lost to bleed-through by Jock's markers but there we are).  One more sketch and it's done, maybe.  Six years since that first went off to Brendan McCarthy... The time has flown by and this loony scheme continues to be an absolute joy.

ming

This is a nice one...  Listening to the Space Spinner podcast a while back, there was a mention of a drawing in the Nerve Centre of Prog 143 by one Craig Davison; Conrad idly speculated whether this might be the now-rather-well-known artist Craig Davison.  He didn't follow that up, but, having been an admirer of Craig's work for some years, I did.  And it turned out that yes, that Cosmic Samurai was his and he'd been reading since Prog 1.  I asked him whether he might be up for doing a small something for Project Sketchbook and I'm very happy to be able to share this beauty.  Involving some artists who are long-time fans of the Prog is great - and I'm humbled by the enthusiasm and generosity being bestowed on this loony scheme.

I, Cosh

I'll have to confess my ignorance of Mr Davison's work but that's yet another beauty!
We never really die.