Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

The wealth thing really is a curse on enjoyment of childhood favourites.  No matter the setting or the degree of struggle and imminent bankruptcy alluded to, almost every American family appears to live a vast mansion kitted out with every imaginable toy and gadget, from Gremlins to Uncle Buck, the Griswalds to the Simpsons, the Buellers to the McFlys to the frequently unemployed cast of Friends. It's just plain odd.

Link Prime

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 10 December, 2014, 10:48:22 AM
Is Ghostbusters a Christmas movie? I'm putting Die Hard on tonight.

My traditional 'Christmas DVD night' with the missus is penciled in for Friday, including full take-away (portion size: two people, each) pig out and tub of ice-cream.

Currently on the agreed viewing list;

Scrooged (an absolute must).
Die Hard.
The Signalman ('Ghost Stories for Christmas').
The Office Christmas Specials.

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 10 December, 2014, 11:38:25 AM

Absolute classic, that one.

Which takeaway, BTW?

Link Prime

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 December, 2014, 11:44:15 AM
Quote from: Link Prime on 10 December, 2014, 11:38:25 AM

Absolute classic, that one.

Which takeaway, BTW?

Our local in Blessington- The Flaming Wok.
Good God, it's delicious.

Theblazeuk

The size of the real estate isn't all that much of an indicator in most of Americana, unlike over here. The Simpsons is a funny one though in that, as a Safety Inspector at a nuclear power plant, Homer actually earns rather a lot - certainly more than enough to support his family comfortably - but since he is actually supposed to be a blue collar schmoe, doesn't seem to really get paid that wage, and therefore his financial woes seem more appropriate. They live in a big (but ramshackle) house but have a crappy car, second hand clothes and are devastated by any healthcare costs - seems a pretty normal state for working class yanks.

I digress though.

Up on my to-be-watched Christmas List:
The Grinch
A Charlie Brown Christmas
Futurama's Santa Episodes
The Christmas Justice League episode (superman in a christmas jumper)
Invasion of the Secret Santas (Brave and the Bold)
Father Christmas
Elf (till boxing day)

I, Cosh

You've forgotten Bad Santa.
We never really die.

TordelBack

They have two cars these days, plus laptops and gaming consoles, a detached house with at least four bedrooms, large kitchen, separate dining room and living room, large attic,  basement and garage, a mature tree in their large garden, and a primary school that has an orchestra and foreign exchange programme. Plus a stay-at-home mother. Round our way this would make them... Well, they wouldn't live round our way, because there is literally nowhere like that.

Of course their frequent Homer-induced penury is central to the humour, and all the above merely set and props for stories, but the series conceit is that they are an ordinary blue collar family with the usual money woes, and my observation is that they live in conditions that belie that - just as with almost every other American TV/Movie family.  There's a level of basic expectation generated here that says that even if Dad works for a succession of supervillains and blows all his money on pumpkin futures and Mom has spent long enough in jail to be granted conjugal visits, you can still expect this basic home infrastructure as a minimum.

(As noted here before, this disparity is firmly lampshaded by the Grimesy episode, but it still remains the case).

Tiplodocus

After talk about it from either GRennie or Molch-R I watched

THE FIRST GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY.

And it was great.

Of course, these days the whole film would be a fifteen minute segment in an episode of Alias or an M:I film but they don't have Sean Connery arseing about on top of a moving steam train. I swear it was actually him or the best stunt double ever. It is undoubtedly clunky in places and some victorian detail seems hard to fathom (would Donald Sutgerland really try pull a time critical heist while still wearing his great coat and stovepipe?).

But a thumbs up - especially for reminding me that Michael Elphic and Lesley Ann Down existed.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Molch-R

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 10 December, 2014, 12:57:52 PM
I swear it was actually him or the best stunt double ever.

It was the man himself. The production crew assured him the train was only going to travel at 20mph, but it was closer to 50mph and one of the 'falls' was entirely genuine and very nearly fatal.

Theblazeuk

I've not forgotten Bad Santa but the wife won't get it, and certainly won't giggle when dozens of police shoot Santa right in front of many innocent children like I did...

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 December, 2014, 12:12:20 PM
They have two cars these days, plus laptops and gaming consoles, a detached house with at least four bedrooms, large kitchen, separate dining room and living room, large attic,  basement and garage, a mature tree in their large garden, and a primary school that has an orchestra and foreign exchange programme. Plus a stay-at-home mother. Round our way this would make them... Well, they wouldn't live round our way, because there is literally nowhere like that.

The cars and the house = America. The varying fortunes of Springfield wider (and the introduction of gadgets beyond the TV) are story and after my time :) 

TordelBack

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 10 December, 2014, 01:19:03 PM
I've not forgotten Bad Santa but the wife won't get it, and certainly won't giggle when dozens of police shoot Santa right in front of many innocent children like I did.

But that's the best bit! First of several seasonal viewings took place after we put our Christmas tree up. You just can't beat it for getting in the festive mood. And is just me or is Lauren Graham ridiculously attractive in this?

'Is granny spry?'

von Boom

After talk about it from either GRennie or Molch-R I watched

THE FIRST GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY.

And it was great.

I need to watch this again. Great film. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Molch-R on 10 December, 2014, 01:17:14 PM
I swear it was actually him or the best stunt double ever.

It was the man himself. The production crew assured him the train was only going to travel at 20mph, but it was closer to 50mph and one of the 'falls' was entirely genuine and very nearly fatal.

Bonkers! I bet you couldn't get that underwritten today. It did genuinely add to the excitement, thinking (and now knowing) it was real and not very good rear projection.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mattofthespurs

radiator

Rad's Christmas Essentials:

Die Hard
Gremlins
In Bruges
League of Gentlemen Xmas Special
Knowing Me, Knowing Yule
Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Home Alone 1&2
Trading Places
The Box of Delights (preferably on Christmas Eve)
The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (BBC)
Arthur Christmas
Bad Santa
Scrooged
Elf

My girlfriend also always insists on Santa Claus: The Movie which (sorry) is unwatchable gash.