Main Menu

New Excalibur (rant)

Started by Marbles, 03 April, 2006, 11:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marbles

I gave this a go because I'm a big fan of Captain Britain. Sadly its an eXcerable piece of Marvel Mutants-by-numbers toss. The guilty culprit is of course the lamentable Chris Claremont, who gave us the rubbish first run of Capn B back in the day & seems determined to bury the memory of glorious runs of Thorpe, Moore, Delano & Davis under as much bland US garbage as he can.

Why of why can't Marvel give a fresh UK creative team a shot at reinventing cB ??

Like Grennie & Flint ?

Remember - dry hair is for squids

Bico

Odd that Brits do great superhero comics, yet the Americans are spoon-fed superheroics and can't seem to do interesting versions of the tights-wearing buffoons as a general rule of thumb.
And America isn't ready for Henry Flint.  Bob Layton will explain why.

critter

I was a big fan of Excalibur way back in 1991 due to Captain Britain.

critter

shane05

English artists will throw off the curve.

Dudley

English artists will throw off the curve.

Um, no.  What?

shane05

By what's deemed acceptable or good. Do you guys not have this? Like in school, 'grading curve'.

See here, this is what I'm talking about. Whereas Dredds left hand is balled into a fist, and there is a clear difference between that and the right hand which is holding the 'lawgiver'. Whereas most american artists draw a balled up fist and stick the barrel of a gun on top. So if Flint came over everyone would have to stop drawing balled up fists pretending to be holding something.http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/megazine/hires/218.jpg">

Richmond Clements

Ah... so you're saying that they'll ruin everything by showing how it should be done?

The Adventurer

I'd just chalk it up to Claremont being a hack. I wouldn't trash the entire US comic industry over it.

There are a lot of interesting things going on right now, and most of them are not superhero related nor DC and Marvel releated.

It's really too bad that superheroes still choke the market place. It's why I turned to 2000AD for my diverse genre fiction.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

GermanAndy

The early Captain Britain stuff was great. I have both tpbs, the Moore/Davis stories and the Delano one. (Which wasn?t as memorable).

But the x-stuff has got unreadable. I cancelled them all with the exception of Astonishing, and frankly, after the weak last issues I am not sure if Cassadys art is enough to sustain this.

Most american superhero books are just boring. High art standard, but boring stories. Not to mention the obsession with crossovers. Ugh.

shane05

'they'll ruin everything by showing how it should be done?'

At least 85% of it. I really thought I could draw real well until I started talking to you english 'chaps'.;)