Main Menu

Rescued comics and what should a comics-noob do with 'em?

Started by Fortnight, 16 December, 2023, 09:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fortnight

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 December, 2023, 10:42:10 PMSandman Mystery Theatre is only tangentially related to Gaiman's Sandman and its offshoots. This book is based on Wesley Dodds, the original Golden Age 'Sandman' character, and is fairly solidly film noir in tone, with little to no supernatural goings-on.

Gaiman's Sandman was an entirely different character, although, in the first issue of Gaiman's Sandman, it's suggested (retroactively) that Wesley Dodds was inspired to become his version of The Sandman by the universe attempting to correct for Dream's century-long imprisonment, which covered the period during with Dodds was active.
Ah, this is very helpful, thanks. Clears up some confusion.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 December, 2023, 10:32:58 PMThree issues in the 'prestige' format (48pgs, square bound), so you've got the last issue in the series.
And now I'm confused again :D Is the 3-volume 1988 series not the first appearance of Black Orchid? Are these three that I have only the end of something larger?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Fortnight on 19 December, 2023, 11:16:37 PMAnd now I'm confused again :D Is the 3-volume 1988 series not the first appearance of Black Orchid? Are these three that I have only the end of something larger?

It was very much the vogue in the second half of the 80s for DC to take Hot British Rising Star Writer™ and stick them on an obscure character and/or failing book (Moore on Swamp Thing as the latter, Morrison on both Animal and Doom Patrol as examples of both, respectively) and pretty much say "Do you what you want".

Black Orchid is an example of that. ISTR Gaiman recounting how, when he told the editor he wanted to do Black Orchid, the editor replied "Black Hawk Kid?" Which should give you an idea of how obscure the character was. So... yes, the character existed before the Gaiman/McKean mini-series, but barely.

Quoth Wikipedia:

QuoteThe superhero Black Orchid, created by Sheldon Mayer and Tony Zuniga, first appeared in Adventure Comics #428 (June 1973), and was published by DC Comics. She was the first superhero to debut as the cover feature of the series since Starman in 1941; she was not given an origin story and her personal life was not shown. After a three-issue run in Adventure Comics, Black Orchid quickly faded into obscurity, but sporadically made guest appearances in other DC publications.

There was an attempt at an ongoing series off the back of the Gaiman/McKean mini with a new writer and artist — I know I bought a couple of issues of it but don't recall it being anything special.

Basically, that three-issue series is probably the character's most noteworthy appearance and (for me, at least) is more notable for McKean's astonishing art than Gaiman's fairly leisurely story.

EDIT TO ADD: So, per your original list, if you have #3 of 3 of the 1988 series then you need 1-2 to complete the story, but as I mentioned, you might find one of the TPBs collecting all three issues as cheap or cheaper on eBay. Your second listing of #16 of 22 is from the follow-up monthly series which, IMO, isn't really worth pursuing. If anyone on here has read more of it than I have, they may have a different opinion...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Yep Grendel is SO good. I do think the Batman / Grendel isn't the best of it but all Matt Wagner is good. He co wrote Sandman Mystery Theatre as well on a related note.

And yep the 1988 Black Orchid is entirely all you need to read and self contained and the art is astonishing.

Colin YNWA

So last chunk and then we can really get down to some reflections - it would be amazing to use this thread to hear how you get on with stuff as you read it... anyway.

V for Vendetta - I reckon you will have this in hand and its all you need for V.

World without End is worth it for the John Higgins art.

I've never read Kill your boyfriend and know nothing about it but with that creative team that's gotta be worth checkin' out. I know I will be!

I'm curious which issue of Uncanny X-Men you have. Not a fan of the comics particularly just with everything else here and the fact there's only one makes me really curious!

Also Within Reach isn't something I've ever heard of but that cover by Norm Breyfogle - wow. A Norm Breyfogle Spidey run is something I'd have loved to seen.

Fortnight

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 December, 2023, 07:06:07 AMSo, per your original list, if you have #3 of 3 of the 1988 series then you need 1-2 to complete the story, but as I mentioned, you might find one of the TPBs collecting all three issues as cheap or cheaper on eBay. Your second listing of #16 of 22 is from the follow-up monthly series which, IMO, isn't really worth pursuing.
Ah, I see the confusion. The 'Have' column is listing the quantity of issues that I have, not the issue number. I have a total of 3 out of 3 issues for that (issues #1, #2 and #3). And I have 16 issues out of 22 for the second volume (missing #1 to #6).

I tried listing the issue numbers when I started making BBCode out of the spreadsheet, but it looked even more of a complete mess than it does now. So I decided to go for showing only the quantities.

Fortnight

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 December, 2023, 07:55:40 AMAlso Within Reach isn't something I've ever heard of but that cover by Norm Breyfogle - wow. A Norm Breyfogle Spidey run is something I'd have loved to seen.
Within Our Reach is one of those that has two covers. You flip it over and there's a front cover on either side. It means that half of the book is upside down compared to the other half. According to the comicvine link the other cover (I like to think the proper front, based on the way the spine reads) is by Paul Chadwick : linky
And there's a Concrete story inside too.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 December, 2023, 07:55:40 AMI'm curious which issue of Uncanny X-Men you have.
#220, apparently, https://comicvine.gamespot.com/the-uncanny-x-men-220-unfinished-business/4000-28470/

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 December, 2023, 07:55:40 AMI've never read Kill your boyfriend and know nothing about it but with that creative team that's gotta be worth checkin' out. I know I will be!

I haven't read it for many years, but I remember it honestly being great.

Colin YNWA

QuoteWithin Our Reach is one of those that has two covers. You flip it over and there's a front cover on either side. It means that half of the book is upside down compared to the other half. According to the comicvine link the other cover (I like to think the proper front, based on the way the spine reads) is by Paul Chadwick : linky
And there's a Concrete story inside too.

Oh interesting. I'm assuming I'll have that in reprint somewhere, but now need to know!

As for that X-Men that's a great cover from a wobbly but interesting period of the comic which I loved back in the day, have little time for these days.

Le Fink

Quote from: Fortnight on 19 December, 2023, 09:42:40 PM
Quote from: Le Fink on 19 December, 2023, 10:45:26 AMYes! This one has those very volumes I mentioned:

https://amzn.eu/d/4uie493

I think that Outbreak is in that Hachette collection, but not the others in that volume. Not that I've even opened the Hachette HBs - they're all still sealed in their original shrinkwrap  :lol:

And I see from an Amazon search for Aliens Omnibus that there also newer HB omnibuses titled "The Original Years", and paperback ones collecting fewer stories, but much cheaper. And I'm confused again. I need a single source to explain everything Alien-related and where they're collected! Without knowing more about the titles I don't know what's sensible to start getting! :lol: I need to already have the issues in order to know enough about them in order to know what compiled works to get. There's no entry point!!!

*faints*

The stories and characters have been renamed since I read them which makes things confusing. So long as they are Dark Horse and the author is Mark Verheiden you should be good. One reviewer of "the essential comics" version provides a good write-up. I read what is now "outbreak" in excellent b&w, can't vouch for the colouring:

QuoteThe Dark Horse Trilogy of Aliens is perhaps the closest you will ever come to having a satisfying conclusion to Ridley Scotts original and Jim Camerons sequel. The movies that came after failed to deliver and William Gibsons: Alien 3 is... Well, not to be rude but it isn't very good, either. So thank goodness DHP came along to drive (what should've been), a decent story out of an i.p's final plot arc. Dark Horse did the same for Predator, Aliens vs Predator and The Terminator. All of which came along with better story plot sequels than their Movie counterparts (and all of which come thoroughly recommended. AvP Book 1, is probably one of the best cross overs in the history of any media).

Asides from the story. The First Book and Second Book have been renamed. What was originally "Book One". Is now "Outbreak" and Book Two is now "Nightmare Asylum". Outbreak has now been coloured (Originally in b&w), though not sure if this takes away from Mark Nelsons excellent original inkwork. And the cast have been returned to their original movie names... DHP made some weird attempt to keep their story relevant and in line with the terrible 3rd and 4th films in some previous Editions. Why ? You tell me man, I only work here ("D)... But very happy that the original story has been restored to how it should be. (Hicks, Newt and Butler as opposed to Brian, Gary and Phil (or whatever stupid names they got replaced with. I, thankfully have forgot).).

And what an incredible job, this Trilogy of tales does too. Should make special note of Denis Beauvais, artist for Book 2: Nigtmare Asylum. He nails the look and feel of the universe perfectly. The artists for Book 1 & 3 tend to have gone their own way, design wise. So some of the actual movie feel gets lost. especially in Earth War (3). Sam Keith really goes to town in re-envisioning pretty much everything in the movie universe. And as a result loses a lot of the excellent groundwork laid down by Beauvais in Book 2. Which for all intents and purposes is tone and picture perfect and the undoubted highlight of the entire novel. The overall quality of the final product is very impressive for the price. The pages are more like thin card and the printing is crisp and clear. A really nice Edition. Thoroughly recommend.

Fortnight

Quote from: Le Fink on 20 December, 2023, 09:36:13 AMThe stories and characters have been renamed since I read them which makes things confusing. So long as they are Dark Horse and the author is Mark Verheiden you should be good.
Good to know. Could save me hundreds of quid :)

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 December, 2023, 09:03:56 AMOh interesting. I'm assuming I'll have that in reprint somewhere, but now need to know!
According to wikipedia it was reprinted in Concrete: Complete Short Stories 1990-1995, and also Killer Smile which I also have, it seems.

karlos

There are rumours Dark Horse are reprinting all the previous Concrete stories before Chadwick's new story next year.

Barrington Boots

Aliens: Outbreak is far, far worse in colour. I had the original collection but it fell to bits or got lost ages ago. The reprint I have (with 'Billie' and 'Wilks') is so inferior it's untrue.

Nightmare Asylum I've never seen in b&w, I'm not sure if it ever was?
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Fortnight on 20 December, 2023, 01:24:35 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 December, 2023, 09:03:56 AMOh interesting. I'm assuming I'll have that in reprint somewhere, but now need to know!
According to wikipedia it was reprinted in Concrete: Complete Short Stories 1990-1995, and also Killer Smile which I also have, it seems.

Yeah did a quick search on Comics.org and saw that I do have it (have the both the Short Stories collections AND Killer Smile) BUT also ordered Within Our Reach Anyway and its has an 8 page norm Breyfogle story and lots of other interesting looking stuff - so its on that way!

and more importantly...

Quote from: karlos on 20 December, 2023, 01:52:35 PMThere are rumours Dark Horse are reprinting all the previous Concrete stories before Chadwick's new story next year.

WAIT WHAT... HOW WHEN... new Concrete SUPER Cool. How do we know this, is there any details. Oh I'm super excited for new Concrete.

Le Fink

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 20 December, 2023, 02:18:08 PMAliens: Outbreak is far, far worse in colour. I had the original collection but it fell to bits or got lost ages ago. The reprint I have (with 'Billie' and 'Wilks') is so inferior it's untrue.

Oh, shame. It is great b&w art so maybe try to seek out one of the early printings then, Fortnight.

QuoteNightmare Asylum I've never seen in b&w, I'm not sure if it ever was?

This will always be just "volume 2" to me. I think it was originally done fully painted, or airbrushed maybe, in very lovely colour. It is stunning to look at.

I was massively disappointed with the art in the follow up, Earth Wars. I don't think I'll ever get over it (throws a Devlin Waugh 'how could they' pose).

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Le Fink on 20 December, 2023, 09:36:13 AMSo long as they are Dark Horse and the author is Mark Verheiden you should be good.

Aliens-unrelated, but I just thought I'd mention that Mark Verheiden (obviously) went on to a fairly impressive career outside comics writing for film and TV, but has recently penned a new supernatural thriller mini-series for Dark Horse called 'Borealis' — the first comic he's written (co-written, more accurately) in a very long time.

(I might have lettered it.)