Main Menu

Recent posts

Film & TV / Re: New Doctor Who series
Last post by nxylas - Today at 06:14:42 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on Today at 06:05:43 PMI don't know what deal Disney have with Who, but they were pretty brutal with Willow
Two seasons minimum, I believe.
Last post by Steve Green - Today at 06:05:43 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on Today at 04:35:57 PM
Quote from: judgeurko on Today at 03:55:41 PMYep but it is far worse than most other overnight figures for the show.

But... as pointed out already, the target audience for the show has clearly changed to a much younger demographic who are unlikely to watch broadcast TV. I'm not saying the numbers will be great whenever they finally get tallied up, just that if they've lost [X] million older viewers from the live broadcast but gained [X+1] million younger ones on platforms that don't register in the overnights, then we can't infer much from the overnights, other than fewer people watched the show 'live'.

This is the first one where they've premiered on streaming isn't it? If so, you've got that factor too - some staying up until midnight and not bothering with the Saturday evening live broadcast.

I've no idea what overseas will make of it - maybe here there will be a bump here for the Moffatt written episode.

I guess we'll only know way down the line - it's only an 8 episode series after all.

I don't know what deal Disney have with Who, but they were pretty brutal with Willow
Prog / Re: Prog 2382: Beware Iron Tee...
Last post by Richard - Today at 05:42:35 PM

QuoteWho is it?  What do they want?  Why have they got it in for the Intestinauts?  How does this link with the incident in the lab?
Given how multi-episode stories usually work, aren't these questions which we will find out the answers to in the next episodes? Would it really be easier to follow if we were told the answers before this character showed up?
Prog / Re: Prog 2382: Beware Iron Tee...
Last post by Freddychopper - Today at 05:27:16 PM
Strong looking Prog. Only read Dredd quickly as it dropped through the letter box (before work!). Awesome wraparound cover and Iron Teeth is off to an intriguing start. Love Percival's cinematic, moody art and that grisly last page: Doesn't look safe for those children. Cup of tea and will read the rest!
Games / Re: Gamebooks
Last post by Barrington Boots - Today at 05:25:58 PM
I've now wrapped up Black Vein Prophecy. No writeup on this one, as I went through it quite a few times and didn't especially enjoy it.

The book is very ambitious: it begins with you awakening in a sarcophogus with no memory and no statistics - you roll these up during the book itself - and quickly disgorges you into a ruined city and a surreal experience full of nonsensical creatures and odd happenings. After dealing with a talking horse and catapulting yourself into the sea where you fight a man trapped in a giant zorb ball the book settles down a bit, but remains incredibly strange thoughout.

I went round and round in circles for ages in this book - there are a lot of instadeaths and false paths, and choices at many times seem very arbitrary, meaning you can easily die or get derailed - until, reaching my wits end, I looked online and discovered that to succeed you need to FAIL the very first luck check in the book. That's not cool. Even if you do pass that the almost-final battle involves selecting from a list of magical powers in the correct order with no hints as to what to use where.

It's a shame as the story itself is quite clever at its heart - once you've got to the end, a lot of it makes more sense and there's a very good bit at the end where you can help yourself (I won't spoil that, just in case). I don't think the writing helps though: stuff isn't spoon-fed to you (for example, a character who is your friend can later kill you because you've killed a friend of theirs, but you need to be paying attention to work that out otherwise it seems very random) but mainly the text is quite terse and when combined with the obfuscating nature of the plot it can initially read like a lot of surreal unconnected encounters. There's not enough description to carry the atmosphere of what is a sort of wizardly Creature of Havoc, and whilst I had a better feel for the story by the time I'd read it several times, by then I was a bit sick of the book. The fights, at least, are easy.
There's also a bit where you're asked if you have an item but it's described a bit differently, which tripped me up first time.

Terry Oakes does the art, which is cool throughout: mainly of humans and has a bit of a Japanese feel to it with the costumes and the like.

Bit of a disappointment after a few really good titles.
Last post by Jim_Campbell - Today at 05:24:18 PM
Quote from: judgeurko on Today at 05:07:07 PMHow do you know the target audience for the show has clearly changed to a much younger demographic?

Did you watch it...?
Last post by judgeurko - Today at 05:07:07 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on Today at 04:35:57 PM
Quote from: judgeurko on Today at 03:55:41 PMYep but it is far worse than most other overnight figures for the show.

But... as pointed out already, the target audience for the show has clearly changed to a much younger demographic who are unlikely to watch broadcast TV. I'm not saying the numbers will be great whenever they finally get tallied up, just that if they've lost [X] million older viewers from the live broadcast but gained [X+1] million younger ones on platforms that don't register in the overnights, then we can't infer much from the overnights, other than fewer people watched the show 'live'.
How do you know the target audience for the show has clearly changed to a much younger demographic?
Last post by Jim_Campbell - Today at 04:35:57 PM

But... as pointed out already, the target audience for the show has clearly changed to a much younger demographic who are unlikely to watch broadcast TV. I'm not saying the numbers will be great whenever they finally get tallied up, just that if they've lost [X] million older viewers from the live broadcast but gained [X+1] million younger ones on platforms that don't register in the overnights, then we can't infer much from the overnights, other than fewer people watched the show 'live'.
Books & Comics / Re: Completely Self-absorbed T...
Last post by BadlyDrawnKano - Today at 04:31:51 PM
I read and admired the first instalment of Essex County during the pandemic, but mentally it wasn't what I was in the mood for as I wanted something unrealistic that would serve as a distraction from real life, and I've yet to return to it. I should do now that I'm in a very different situation though, as I do really like Lemire sometimes.

That last word seems quite harsh, but I think it's because there are some series that he's written that I loved, the main one being his take on Animal Man which I think serves as an amazing sequel to the Morrison run. I was also a very big fan of Sweet Tooth (though not the recent-ish follow up mini-series), and Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E. was a delightful romp and my only complaint is that his run is so short

But some of his work just doesn't do it for me at all. I've read the first collection of his Hawkeye run and after Fraction's mad craziness it felt disappointing, Trillium was fine if nothing-y, and his Justice League United was a very uninspired and dull read. And I've very conflicting feelings about Black Hammer, though partially that's because I loved how it began, but then it ended in a manner I didn't gel with, except that wasn't the ending, and what I've read of it since then has left me unsure of the direction it's going in. I've yet to finish it currently, and I don't even know if the most recent ending is the final ending, and given that I'm not sure I've the inclination to find out...
General / Re: 2000AD Original Art Thread
Last post by Barrington Boots - Today at 04:01:09 PM
Tell me about it!