Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8-Ball

I just want the fucking thing to be over. >:(
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Steve Green

It does feel like the whole thing's being organised by Peter Jackson.

8-Ball

Quote from: Steve Green on 08 September, 2014, 08:40:19 PM
It does feel like the whole thing's being organised by Peter Jackson.

Tell me about it. :o
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Montynero

And yet, despite the interminable length of the campaigns we've had the most feeble of national debates - barely rising beyond one side asserting everything will be brilliant in an independent Scotland because we simply will it to be so, and the other side prophesying doom like a camp Nostradamus.

I just want answers - on Scottish interest rates, mortgage and pension arrangements, economic and defence contingencies. You know, trivial stuff like that. Nothing that our homes, livelihoods and mutual well being depends on.

Dog Deever

There are some answers if you want to read them...

http://www.yesscotland.net/answers

:)
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Stan

Quote from: 8-Ball on 08 September, 2014, 08:01:20 PM

Same here. Just ten days left. At least when the vote is over there'll be less guesswork concerning the future of the UK and a little more doing. That could be interesting. Or at least not as dull.

It's a shame that during all this 'debate' there hasn't been a strong push for a federal option. Something like that may have actually inspired people while devolution just seems so half-arsed.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Stan on 09 September, 2014, 12:04:54 AM
Quote from: 8-Ball on 08 September, 2014, 08:01:20 PM

Same here. Just ten days left. At least when the vote is over there'll be less guesswork concerning the future of the UK and a little more doing. That could be interesting. Or at least not as dull.

It's a shame that during all this 'debate' there hasn't been a strong push for a federal option. Something like that may have actually inspired people while devolution just seems so half-arsed.

Which Mr Cameron wouldn't allow on the ballot paper, but has suddenly pushed his sidekick Brown into to spotlight to offer Devo-max.

As for inspiring people in 40 years of campaign work I've only once see this level of activity politically and that was during the miners strike.
DDT did a job on me

Stan

I just think it's a little hard for many in the rest of the UK to get excited when they don't get to enjoy the actual voting bit (which they shouldn't, regardless of the illogical arguments for it).

Proudhuff

Quote from: Stan on 09 September, 2014, 10:20:58 AM
I just think it's a little hard for many in the rest of the UK to get excited when they don't get to enjoy the actual voting bit (which they shouldn't, regardless of the illogical arguments for it).

That's understandable, I know the feeling: when I watch the BBC National news talk about Education results, the NHS, Care for the Elderly and local elections I know they are nothing to do with what's happening up here. Never mind that have you seen the cover of the Megazine?  :o
DDT did a job on me

Fungus

Quote from: Proudhuff
Never mind that have you seen the cover of the Megazine?  :o

'Undecided'.

Fungus

Montynero

I only realised today, there's going to be a closed border between Scotland and England isn't there.

Salmond says his target for an increase in net migration is 24,000 a year. The UK are zealously cutting net migration. The only way those two policies work is if the border is closed.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Montynero on 09 September, 2014, 07:42:47 PM
Salmond says his target for an increase in net migration is 24,000 a year. The UK are zealously cutting net migration. The only way those two policies work is if the border is closed.

Particulary since (I think) new EU members are expected to sign up to Shengen. Given what a (ludicrously, IMO) hot button immigration has become in England, the idea of a Shengen nation not separated from England/rUK by the English Channel but by an open land border is going to be an issue.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

I had a friendly conversation with two guys at work today in which they told me they were voting YES and that the first thing they wanted Salmond to do was to get rid of immigrants. Informing them that officially stated SNP policy is the direct opposite (and that Scotland's aging population means independence wouldn't work without an influx of tens of thousands of working/breeding age foreigners every single year) didn't phase them at all.

In unrelated news, Channel Four's Paul Mason is currently taking pelters on social media for suggesting that discussion of technicalities and policy fly over the heads of ordinary people.

Colin MacNeil

Quote from: Montynero on 08 September, 2014, 11:19:27 PM
And yet, despite the interminable length of the campaigns we've had the most feeble of national debates - barely rising beyond one side asserting everything will be brilliant in an independent Scotland because we simply will it to be so, and the other side prophesying doom like a camp Nostradamus.

I just want answers - on Scottish interest rates, mortgage and pension arrangements, economic and defence contingencies. You know, trivial stuff like that. Nothing that our homes, livelihoods and mutual well being depends on.

Here you go, read this. It'll answer your questions about the border and immigration, among other things.

http://www.theweebluebook.com/index.php