Main Menu

Judge Dredd by Bolland: Masterpiece Edition (Expanded Apex edition) - June 2024

Started by Dash Decent, 09 November, 2023, 03:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

judgeurko

judgeurko

Quote from: karlos on 08 February, 2024, 11:36:30 AMDo we know exactly why there's extra pages?

Is it a case of David Roach finding more after the HC came and went?

Not a great look in many ways as it could stop people getting the initial editions in case more pages pop up?
The thing is new pages are always going to turn up. We have to just make our choice.

IndigoPrime

The 2000 AD web shop lists the dimensions (bar spine) as follows:

Apex Edition HC: 481x371
Masterpiece SC: 307x231

2000 AD is approx 275x210.

Le Fink

Dash Decent

This new Masterpiece edition features the same original art pages as The 2000 AD Art of Brian Bolland Apex Edition, plus the following extra pages:

Starlord Annual cover
Prog 77 page 1
Prog 86 page 6
Prog 96 page 2
Prog 120 page 3
Prog 225 cover
Prog 225 Page 3
Cursed Earth Book One Illustration
Judge Child Quest (Eagle Comics reprint) issue 2 cover
Revolver Romance Special cover
Prog 2000 Tharg story page
Prog 2270 cover
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Lorenzo

I was wondering exactly what the extra pages would be, so for those of us lucky enough to own the Apex Edition, these are the new added pages:

Prog 225 is page 18 (or p.3 of Dredd) Also, I don't think Prog 96 page 2 is correct as there is no Bolland art in that issue. My guess is the first page from either of the previous two Dredd progs that Bolland provided the pencils for and Leach inked.

Colin YNWA

Lorenzo

Yes, as we get into the digital era there isn't going to be much point in these Apex editions. It's nice to see the pages at full drawn size but I like to see the pencil marks and white-out corrections. Not too much of that on a digital file! I don't know if the artists draw digitally at much more than printed page dimensions any more?

IndigoPrime

Mostly, I agree. Although there are very big differences when you have properly high-res files. And I recall getting some vector stuff from Matt Brooker years back for some mag interview of other. I spent probably longer than I should have done zooming and exploring those files.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Lorenzo on 09 February, 2024, 04:24:41 PMYes, as we get into the digital era there isn't going to be much point in these Apex editions. It's nice to see the pages at full drawn size but I like to see the pencil marks and white-out corrections. Not too much of that on a digital file! I don't know if the artists draw digitally at much more than printed page dimensions any more?

An assumption, but I'm guessing that most digital art would be at a print quality of at least 300ppi. Perhaps an artist can clarify?

I suppose that one benefit of digital is that you can retrieve the process (so, the digital equivalent of pencil marks etc.), which is where Covers Uncovered gets to shine.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

judgeurko

Quote from: Le Fink on 08 February, 2024, 08:03:12 PMAnd check out Tomwe's post above for a visual comparison
Thanks. I hope we get Masterpiece editions of all of these. Apex ones are too expensive for me.

judgeurko

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dash Decent

No thanks, I've just put one out.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

lincnash