Main Menu

Dredd COD Cold War.

Started by vzzbux, 15 September, 2021, 04:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzzbux

https://www.callofduty.com/blog/2021/09/black-ops-cold-war-warzone-judge-dredd-tracer-pack-bundle
Have been off the forum for quite a while now but this has dragged me back. My lad has just got the bundle. Awesome game play.
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

vzzbux

My Lad just uploaded his first vid with the Dredd skin. 12 mins of mayhem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJMAJLVmyAk
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

sheridan

Didn't realise Dredd was involved with the 20th century dispute between Iceland the UK.

Re-reads, oh - Call of Duty Cold War...

Halo572

Put it in context:

* Dredd has been around since 1977
* Since then there were some poor 8 and 16 bit games, with the last PC game in 2005
* Other than that there have only been mobile games
* Rebellion has owned the IP for 20 years and hasn't done anything with it for 15
* Rebellion is considered a large game developer, specifically Sniper Elite and Army of the Dead, with the resources to develop any 2000ad character game they want
* The best they can do with a 40 year old character is put a skin in another developers game

Really?  When I saw this in the newsletter all I thought was *facepalm*. 

This is the level of imagination Rebellion has towards the IP treasure trove that it has in the 2000ad character catalogue and from someone who has been waiting for a decent 2000ad character game since 1981.

broodblik

Just imagine a Dredd game in the mold of Cyberpunk or Borderlands
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

CalHab

Quote from: Halo572 on 16 September, 2021, 09:25:24 AM
* Rebellion is considered a large game developer, specifically Sniper Elite and Army of the Dead, with the resources to develop any 2000ad character game they want

I mean Dredd is underserved as an IP, but Rebellion are far from "large" in terms of developers. They don't have the budget to do an AAA game.

wedgeski

This is the level of imagination Rebellion has towards the IP treasure trove that it has in the 2000ad character catalogue and from someone who has been waiting for a decent 2000ad character game since 1981.
It's not, and never will be, a failure of imagination. I'm sure their devs are brimming with ideas. Rebellion obviously feels that pouring millions into a Dredd game is a risk they aren't willing to take when that money would better serve the IP elsewhere.

Tjm86

Is it about imagination or is it about growing awareness / harnessing the penetration potential of a well-established game?

In fact I would suggest that this is potentially an imaginative response.  Rebellion have taken the opportunity to leverage COD as advertising for the Tooth IP.  Who knows where this might lead?

milstar

I heard it takes a lot of points to grab the Dredd skin in there.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Trooper McFad

Potentially add in a Rogue, Johnny Alpha and any or all ABC warrior skins and the tooth world is expanded to a whole new range people. So a good move in my book.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Trooper McFad

Quote from: milstar on 16 September, 2021, 01:48:41 PM

Does that mean he's worth having as a bad ass "super" skin?
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Halo572

Quote from: broodblik on 16 September, 2021, 09:44:28 AM

Forget them, the original GTA was/is the perfect vehicle for Dredd since 1997, plus any open world that has come since.

And yet - nothing.

Dredd vs Death was a lacklustre corridor console game with shockingly embarrassing Red Bull adverts. 

And since then - nothing.

Halo572

Quote from: CalHab on 16 September, 2021, 11:02:39 AM
They don't have the budget to do an AAA game.

Best to do at least a derisory fact check before making unfounded statements - https://www.videogamer.com/news/sniper-elite-4-publisher-expects-200-000-day-one-sales-in-uk/

It took me 2 searches to get the right words then this was at the top on the third.

Paragraph 3 - "Sniper Elite 4 is triple-A," said Williams.

Halo572

Quote from: Tjm86 on 16 September, 2021, 01:00:43 PM
Who knows where this might lead?

Based on the flim unit that doesn't make 2000ad related films - nowhere or something totally unrelated at best.

milstar

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 16 September, 2021, 01:51:15 PM
Quote from: milstar on 16 September, 2021, 01:48:41 PM

Does that mean he's worth having as a bad ass "super" skin?

Not for the bloke I've heard it from (technically speaking, read it from).

Quote from: Halo572 on 16 September, 2021, 01:53:40 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 16 September, 2021, 09:44:28 AM

Forget them, the original GTA was/is the perfect vehicle for Dredd since 1997, plus any open world that has come since.

And yet - nothing.

Dredd vs Death was a lacklustre corridor console game with shockingly embarrassing Red Bull adverts. 

And since then - nothing.

I don't think GTA setting is appropiate for Dredd. Such sandbox style I would put my money on Strontium Dog.

And what people have against Dredd vs Death game? It's not like corridors section took bulk of the game. If anything, it made gunning down zombies easier. Rebellion, if they are smart, they oughtta remaster the game, like they did for Rogue Trooper.

Otherwise, their (Rebellion) games are usually mediocre.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.