Main Menu

GARTH ENNIS PLANES and BOYS

Started by Tiplodocus, 02 October, 2008, 10:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 December, 2012, 05:31:16 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 13 December, 2012, 01:54:19 PM
I was quite surprised to see the final Boys trade in the shops about a fortnight after the last issue. It must be almost a year since the final issue of Northlanders and DC still don't seem to have a collection for me to buy.

It's in the shops?

Yes and in my 'to read' pile too
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Don't let that Capt Hurricane type cover put you off, this is dark stuff. Maybe Mr Mills should read it for tips on squadie speak and exposition insertion. I heartiy recommend it to anyone who has dipped into the previous books and to anyone who aversed to the tights and caps side of comics. Wonderful, wonderful stuff.
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Got it (Green field beyond 2) this weekend and read it this morning on the way into work and it is indeed bloody wonderful. If ever a cover was a misrepresentation of what's inside!

Mind have you seen the cover to next issue, looks bloody amazing!

Dodsy

Read it last night and got to say I think this has been the best story of The Tankies so far and I'm really looking forward to the conclusion next month.

Just wondering; whats everyone's favourite Battlefields story been so far? For me it's been 'Dear Billy' the one about the nurse. It has kind of a creepy edge to it that really stuck with me for a while.
Twitter - @dodsy84

Colin YNWA

Now would someone please explain why I wasn't informed of this earlier please*... what you say, well Garth Ennis' simply magnificent 'Fury - Max' series. By pure chance I stumbled across it a couple of weeks ago. Ordered it with my X-mas bootie and have read it over the last couple of nights (as its ongoing and I therefore need to know if its worth continuing with it skips past my pretty ridiculous reading list and gets read as if a regularly monthly purchase).

Its chuffin' brilliant. Okay at times it seems a bit needlessly sweary and arm blowlyoffy (that is a word, it is) as though it feels the need to justify its 'Mature' tag but that aside its fantastic. Tense, dramatic and right up there with the best of his 'War' work. Wonderful stuff and while I might trade wait it its now a regular buy and no mistake.

*To be fair I probably was but haven't been paying enough attention here or in the Megathread being a numbnut and all. But really if Ennis produces another perfect book for me can someone please make sure they give me a kick up the ass!

Proudhuff

Anyone spotted this yet?

I'm thinking with Capt Hurricane cover last time and the 'Battle' ref and 'Victor' style text on this, all clashing with the contents, this is really tophole stuff.

oh, and Anna (Nightwitch) is back in the following issue fighting in SE Asia as well
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Wouldn't it just be brilliant if Garth Ennis did what he always seems like he wants to do (or at least have happen) and he relaunched 'Battle'.

A weekly comic anthology with a load of good war stories in, for me preferably WW2 or older. Heck they could bring back Johnny Red written by Brian Wood, though I guess Charley's War wouldn't return (cos, yeah the rest of this is going to happen! Ahem anyway) but if Pat Mills was up for it he could get say Patrick Goddard on art or some such. Tankies as an ongoing by Garth and whatever else was doing the rounds. Heck it could be the home for the proposed 'Lawless' strip that Kevin Hopgood had planned for Strip and seems to have vanished.

Arh the stuff that dreams are made of.

I, Cosh

Was flicking through the theatre listings while having brunch in a local bohemian cafe when I came across this: Night Witches on stage, basically.

Quote from: The Cosh on 16 November, 2012, 12:41:03 AM
I think I'll try and give [The Boys] a reread in the next month or so then, because I really don't think it's going to be one to keep for posterity, try and flog it if anyone's interested.
So, I reread the first thirty issues of The Boys - up to the end of the G-Men story - the other day and enjoyed them more than I was expecting to. I think I'd forgotten that one of the reasons I kept buying it to start with was that there were enough of Ennis' good character driven stuff and genuinely funny bits in amongst the nonsense. Things like the early establishment of Hughie's uncomfortable hypocrisy around sexuality are pretty well done.

It's interesting to see certain strands developing now that I know where they end up too. I get the impression this was all very meticulously plotted out in advance rather then Ennis just having a general idea of the structure and filling that in as he goes.

I'll be ploughing through the rest over the next few days and hopefully it'll continue to surprise me. The worry I have is that this feels like it should be the midway point but, with the various mini-series, it's only a third of the way.

Random observation #1. Geeky details. When Butcher and Hughie go to question the Tek-Knight (who's a Bruce Wayne as Batman analogue - as opposed to Black Noir's Dark Knight Batman - but also fills the Iron Man role in Payback), the book that opens the staircase to his cave is The Purloined Letter and Other Stories by Poe. The Purloined Letter is the story which Alfred recalls igniting the young Bruce's sense of justice in Dark Knight Returns. I assume there's lots more like this which I haven't read enough comics to get.

Random observation #2. Things that went over your head. Can't believe I didn't get the joke in Love Sausage's real name: Vasili Vorishkin.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Issue 39: "Nobody will ever reprint Death Planet." Pshaw!
We never really die.

GordyM

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 05 January, 2013, 09:38:22 PM
Now would someone please explain why I wasn't informed of this earlier please*... what you say, well Garth Ennis' simply magnificent 'Fury - Max' series. By pure chance I stumbled across it a couple of weeks ago. Ordered it with my X-mas bootie and have read it over the last couple of nights (as its ongoing and I therefore need to know if its worth continuing with it skips past my pretty ridiculous reading list and gets read as if a regularly monthly purchase).

Its chuffin' brilliant. Okay at times it seems a bit needlessly sweary and arm blowlyoffy (that is a word, it is) as though it feels the need to justify its 'Mature' tag but that aside its fantastic. Tense, dramatic and right up there with the best of his 'War' work. Wonderful stuff and while I might trade wait it its now a regular buy and no mistake.

*To be fair I probably was but haven't been paying enough attention here or in the Megathread being a numbnut and all. But really if Ennis produces another perfect book for me can someone please make sure they give me a kick up the ass!

I LOVED the first Fury Max mini-series (especially that gutpuncher of an ending and the villain's final words to Fury) but the follow-ups have been a case of diminishing returns for me that suffer from the lack of dark humour, more akin to his Battlefields work.

Have you heard the George Clooney story? Apparently he was all set to play Fury in a live action film. He asked for the latest Fury comics which turned out to be the first Max mini-series. Soon as he read them and saw how f***** up they are he passed on the project.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Colin YNWA

Quote from: GordyM on 25 January, 2013, 12:11:01 PM

Have you heard the George Clooney story? Apparently he was all set to play Fury in a live action film. He asked for the latest Fury comics which turned out to be the first Max mini-series. Soon as he read them and saw how f***** up they are he passed on the project.

Ha that's gold and also a shame as don't know when this was but Mr Clooney seems to be enjoying more and more varied roles of late and would do a very good f**ked up Fury in my eyes

darryl(doofus forgot his password)

I was gutted to see the end of The Boys - it's one of those comics I've looked forward to each mont, and only felt a little disappointed in once or twice.  Blow the Bloody Door Off was a great finale, and felt like a definite end, which is what was needed.

Fury Max is one of those that seems to get better by each issue - the artwork is spot on, and the connection to Punisher Max makes it feel like part of a bigger story.  maybe thy could get GE to do a Captain America Max  ;)

Dandontdare

Just read the last volume of the Boys (with Fury Max lined up for the weekend).

Holy shit, what a turnaround at the end.

I'm not sure I like this twist though - [spoiler]the whole raison d'etre of The boys was that Butcher & Co hated the supes because they kill people and fuck people over without caring about the collateral damage, just because they're superpowered and they can - which is exactly what Butcher ends up doing.[/spoiler]

I did love Hughie's reaction to whatserface standing for office though!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Proudhuff on 08 January, 2013, 02:09:16 PM

ach, FP didn't have this will have to ask the memsabib to check out the glasgae FP, they are miles better  :-X
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Proudhuff on 01 February, 2013, 10:49:51 AM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 08 January, 2013, 02:09:16 PM

ach, FP didn't have this will have to ask the memsabib to check out the glasgae FP, they are miles better  :-X

Got this and lovely cover aside it was very very good. As you'd expect from Ennis war stuff. Really enjoyed it, though it did not end the way I expected at all...