Main Menu

Krull Remake Mooted By JJ Abrams.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 24 September, 2023, 10:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

Is it true? Can it be so? Yes, according to this blurb. The man who hacked Star Wars to death wants to do the same to a lame 80's cult classic, Krull. There are no new ideas in Hollywood.
https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/exclusive-krull-reboot-jj-abrams.html
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Jim_Campbell

Quote...Abrams, the guy who helped revive the film franchises for Star Trek and Star Wars

That's a... generous reading of the recent history of those franchises.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

nxylas

At least Krull wasn't very good to begin with, so Abrams can't really do much damage. It's main points of interest nowadays are the people who later became famous, like Liam Neeson and Robbie Coltrane, in Third Spear Carrier roles.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

broodblik

I actually liked his Star Trek but his Star Wars sucked (as all Disney Star Wars does)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

nxylas

Quote from: broodblik on 24 September, 2023, 03:11:42 PMI actually liked his Star Trek but his Star Wars sucked (as all Disney Star Wars does)
I quite enjoyed The Force Awakens when it came out, but winced at the nostalgia and "homages" to the original trilogy (a fault it shares with Into Darkness, with its wholesale plundering of Wrath of Khan).
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

paddykafka

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 September, 2023, 11:44:41 AM
Quote...Abrams, the guy who helped revive the film franchises for Star Trek and Star Wars

I have no real love for the Star Wars sequel trilogy, but I'll bat for Star Trek 2009 any day. Genuinely one of the last great franchise movies of the last few decades (not taking this as a personal snipe at anyone's opinions on the current zeitgeist, just my personal experiences) and yeah, Into Darkness is a dud it did lend to Beyond being arguably THE last great franchise movie of the last few decade. Admittedly that finale entry seemed to work in spite of JJA's backseat involvement more than anything else...where was i going with this again?

Oh, yeah. I just really like the Kelvin Timelines films. Warts and all.

Krull though? Eehhhh it was always a bit naff, innit. I know a popular argument FOR remakes is good concepts done poorly in execution but sometimes a movie is just a mediocre concept done risibly. And that was always Krulls niche.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

JJ Abrams makes a pizza:

"Hey do you like pizza, asshole? Here's a big lump of fuckin' cheese! Take some flour, yeast and water, and chew on this fuckin' basil! Yon can wash the whole lot down with a vat of tomato sauce! What's the big problem? All these things are in pizza! Don'cha like pizza!?"
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

Quote from: broodblik on 24 September, 2023, 03:11:42 PMI actually liked his Star Trek but his Star Wars sucked (as all Disney Star Wars does)

I really rated Andor & Rogue One. Very good productions, with the movie earning a rare second viewing. The prison escape sequence and the "how to defeat a tractor beam" scene both get repeat viewings from Andor.

The first series of The Mandalorian was at least lots of fun, and stylish - but ultimately pretty cartoonish. Maybe aimed significantly at a younger demographic? Double-down on that vibe for the Cuddly Gangster Show (i.e. The Book of Boba Fett).

The new trilogy was a busted flush - a compelling opening (if you try hard to ignore the Death-Star-But-Bigger, and the cute-Han) and then a lot of drift. I've read an intellectual essay on why the second one (Last Jedi) is actually really good because of the clever ways in which it usurps the idea of the male hero being able to solve problems by the application of force and by going against the group for the sake of personal aggrandizement - but that doesn't make it an entertaining movie. I didn't care what happened by the time it got to the third one, but it wasn't as bad an experience as The Hobbit Travesty Trilogy.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

Your summary of the current Star Wars movies are spot on and agree with your likes. I must admit that for me Rogue One was my second favourite SW movie. Mando season was great.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 26 September, 2023, 10:53:48 PMbut I'll bat for Star Trek 2009 any day.

I really liked it, too. Into Darkness, though, was an absolute disaster — there's not one single element of the plot that stands up to a moment's scrutiny (or even casual inspection)... it makes literally no sense.

OTOH, I seem to be one of the handful of people (yourself included) who really liked Beyond.

On the Star Wars stuff — the sequel trilogy... I tolerated the first due (I suspect) to the novelty value of having a new Star Wars movie after quite a while, liked the intent of the second more than the actual movie, and the third...? Yeesh. Everything that was wrong with Into Darkness but longer, more expensive, and making even less sense. Which I didn't think was possible.

I can rewatch both the 2009 Star Trek and Beyond, which is more than I can say for any of the SW sequels.

(Will go on record as liking Solo a lot, and Rogue One very much... so I figure my initial reaction to Force Awakens has just held true: I am very, very bored with the Skywalker dynasty stuff, since the story was very obviously, and satisfactorily, concluded with RotJ.)

The Legendary Shark

"Your father was captain of a starship for 12 minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's and yours. I dare you to do better."

Gets me every time. It's melodramatic cobblers and I love it.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

judgeurko

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 September, 2023, 11:44:41 AM

Financially they were both successful I thought?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: judgeurko on 03 October, 2023, 01:19:59 PMFinancially they were both successful I thought?

Probably, but out of the four films he's directed across the two franchises, I'd argue that only one of them is actually any good.