Main Menu

Discovered / rediscovered music thread

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 16 April, 2009, 12:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceghost

Quote from: Lobster Doug on 23 August, 2011, 02:00:26 PM
Quote from: Lee Bates on 23 August, 2011, 10:22:12 AM
I've really got into a few metal bands lately. Namely Mastodon, Baroness and Kylesa. I'm not much of a metal fan usually apart from classic stuff like Sabbath and Zeppelin. Queens of the Stone Age is about the only modern metal band I liked previously.

I love this stuff! Really heavy but tuneful and complicated at the same time.

As I'm a bit of a metal novice, based on the above bands, can anyone recommend any other bands you think I might like?

Ah, my favourite subject! Aside from 2000ad of course. Love all of them, Mastodon and Kylesa are both stunning live. Not seen Baroness but I really like the blue/red albums.

Based on Mastodon, check out High on Fire I would say.

Based on Queens of the Stone Age, you MUST hear Kyuss, Josh Homme's old band. Bit older but it's just essential. Homme won't tour with them, which is a shame but meh, they were amazing live recently (playing as Kyuss Lives!)

As for other good metal of a similar kind, I'd recommend Isis and Tool. If you can handle a wee bit heavier, check out Meshuggah. Oh, also Shrinebuilder, amazing first album (kind of doom/stoner/very sabbathy) and one of the best things I've ever seen live).

\m/  :D

Nice one! I'll have a root around YouTube later tonight and see if any of those bands tickles my fancy.

I've listened to Kyuss a bit but I didn't dig it as much as Queens. You can hear the roots of genius there though. I really liked the Them Crooked Vultures album though, and Eagles of Death Metal.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

I, Cosh

Hopping mad at the Amazon's failure to deliver what promises to be the synthi-shoegaze album of the year, I've had no choice but to listen to their two swoonsome singles over and over:
I Break Horses - Hearts

I went London recently and managed to miss all the rioting, but Actress's pleasantly squelchy beats were the highlight of Field Day.
We never really die.

von Boom

Just picked up Anthrax's first studio album in nearly a decade, Worship Music. There's some really great tunes from a band I have fond memories of.

JvB

Greg M.

Quote from: Judge von Boom on 13 September, 2011, 05:19:44 PM
Just picked up Anthrax's first studio album in nearly a decade, Worship Music. There's some really great tunes from a band I have fond memories of.

Didn't know this was out... and with Joey Belladonna on vocal duties? Hmmm... I will lend it a cautious ear, having seen the band live umpteen times in the John Bush era and regarding that as their peak (True, I love 'Among the Living' unreservedly, but 'Sound of White Noise' is, for me, their magnum opus.)

von Boom

Quote from: Greg M. on 13 September, 2011, 06:03:10 PM
Quote from: Judge von Boom on 13 September, 2011, 05:19:44 PM

Didn't know this was out... and with Joey Belladonna on vocal duties? Hmmm... I will lend it a cautious ear, having seen the band live umpteen times in the John Bush era and regarding that as their peak (True, I love 'Among the Living' unreservedly, but 'Sound of White Noise' is, for me, their magnum opus.)

After listening to the entire album I think you wouldn't be disappointed. Several of the songs have a White Noise vibe going on, but for me the highlight is I'm Alive.

Acid for Blood

I listened to Y by The Pop Group for the first time last night, as people have repeatedly mentioned to me how it's a great post-punk album, and being a huge fan of post-punk, I decided to check it out. It was an interesting listen, but it seems like one of those albums I'll have to listen to more than once for it to completely sink in.

SpetsnaZ99

After reading another thread on here which had a link to B-Movie Review website i stumbled across a review for a movie called Terrorvision, and i then remembered the British band Terrorvision. I had completely forgot how bloody good they are, been watching them all day on YouTube and Im going to buy their new album. 'Pretend Best Friend' and 'Some People Say' are fantastic.
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

SuperSurfer

Been getting back into the shoegazing thing lately. Managed to buy Nowhere by Ride recently and have been playing first Bloody Valentines album on Spotify. Was working late at home other day so had BBC iPlayer on in corner of screen and was playing a documentary on Creation records.

Imagine my surprise...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 11 November, 2011, 03:56:05 PM
Nowhere by Ride

Great record.

Anyway forgot to add this thread that I went to see the Throwing Muses in Holmfirth last Friday. What a fantastic gig and Kristin Hersh is still such a compelling woman. Fantastic.

Also what a wonderful venue the Picturedrome in Holmfirth is. Hope to go back again soon.

Mcveanjim

Recently Rediscovered a brilliant "old" band Tesla

Last time I heard them was when the 5 Man Acousical Jam came out in the dim and distant past - Unplugged Concert long before MTV made it popular!

Now there is a host of new tesla tracks to listen to...

maryanddavid

Got 5 cds back from my brother, he has the so long I forgot I had them! Great to listen to them again, two Led Zepplin, two Pridigy and PWEI.

David

johnnystress

My current favourites--if you like glitter/glam rock and early Chiswick records style punk this is for you

Giuda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PeZn1MfWKA

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 11 November, 2011, 08:51:10 PM
Anyway forgot to add this thread that I went to see the Throwing Muses in Holmfirth last Friday. What a fantastic gig and Kristin Hersh is still such a compelling woman. Fantastic.
Missed this. I also saw Throwing Muses on their recent tour and I think it's probably the best I've ever seen them. You know how you go to a gig and the band go off and everyone claps politely for a bit in immediate anticipation of an encore? Well, this time the whole place went absolutely mental for about five minutes. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw that sort of reaction.

As for recently discovered music, I bought this album purely on the basis of seeing it described as "Loveless without the insistent beats" which turns out to be a pretty perfect summary. Lovely stuff: Jefre Cantu-Ledesma.
We never really die.